Peace for our time?

old man emu

So Donny and Jong-un have each other's autograph on a piece of paper they say is an agreement for a peaceful relationship - peace for our time.

Will it be the same as "peace in our time that Benjamin Disraeli claimed upon returning from the Congress of Berlin in 1878. Or the same as the declaration made by the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom Neville Chamberlain in his 30 September 1938 speech concerning the Munich Agreement and the Anglo-German Declaration. Or that to which U.S. President John F. Kennedy alluded to in his 1963 American University Commencement Address in which he sought "not merely peace in our time, but peace in all time." Or U.S. President Barack Obama also use of the phrase "peace in our time" in his 2013 inaugural address.

Unfortunately, History has shown that the phrase is a harbinger of doom.

Two unstable meglomaniacs shaking hands? That and $5 will buy you a coffee.

Kim is a murderous, oppressive tyrant, and Trump is an opportunistic scumbag who will hopefully be impeached soon. I wouldn't be putting any hope of world peace (or anything else positive) in either of them.

You may be correct in your assessment of them, but at least they did meet, they talked and now Trump has decided to stop the war games with S Korea.

The Korean war has never officially ended, but there had been a sort of peace in Korea. The USA has a long history of going to war, not winning, but breaking down the opposing country with financial warfare. Think Cuba and Viet Nam.

In the case of Korea they have thousands of troops stationed in the South, plus most likely nuclear weapons, remember the yanks never confirm or deny. The have regularly conducted war games right on the border of N Korea. If I was Kim Jong Un I would want to get the yanks off my border.

For a change the Yanks are afraid of N Korea and that gives us a chance that the whole sorry episode can be cleaned up. For a change Trump has done something sensible, but it seems that even the Democrats in Washington cannot see any good coming from it.

... and Trump is an opportunistic scumbag who will hopefully be impeached soon...

Please don't insult all the real opportunistic scumbags!

Be careful what you wish for, Marty. The next in line might be a bigger danger to world peace and common decency in the USA.

Could KJU be playing DJT for a chump. Take a step back, get the US troops out of South Korea, then move in and take over?

If Trump pulls the troops out, where are they going to put them? What are they going to do with them? Unemployment will skyrocket. They'll have to start another war to keep them busy. Meanwhile China sits back rubbing its hands together.

As for Trump being impeached, out of the frying pan into the fire. VP Pence would take America back to the 30's.

Please don't insult all the real opportunistic scumbags!Be careful what you wish for, Marty. The next in line might be a bigger danger to world peace and common decency in the USA.

Peter beat me to it... unfortunately the next in line IS a bigger danger than Trump. Pence is a true believer who's hanging out for the apocalypse so he can head to heaven with 143,999 of his mates.

Wouldn't surprise me if he and his evangelical buddies bent Drumpf's ear to move the US embassy from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem.

I just wish the lazy damn pricks who are Democrat, or at least thinking human beings, had got off their ar*ses and voted last November.

I like the irony that Justin Trudeau, leader of the advanced Western democracy that is the US's biggest trading partner, is "very dishonest and weak" and "deserves a special place in hell" according to the clown and his adviser, while it's "an honour" to meet the man who poisoned his brother and executed an uncle by anti-aircraft gun.

Shows the mindset of this fool and his supporters.

Treat your allies like $#!t and embrace murderous dictators. It's obvious where he feels he can do "DEALS" better. Too many" fake" questions and reasonable limitations to answer when doing things which are transparent and accountable. Trump eyes off all the underdeveloped coastline in North Korea that he could get his hands on like what he has done in Indonesia just south of the capital and near a sacred shrine with the only 6 lane highway in the country leading from slums to right to it.. The Property developer of NY uses his position as the PoTUS for his and his families advantage . this of course is forbidden by the constitution of the US but HE says HE can grant HIMSELF a PARDON for ANYTHING (so there). Nev

Great to hear that Trump is the new great peace maker.

This is the same guy who has picked fights with Mexico, Canada, China, the EU, the G7, his own justice department and half of his own party.

My thinking is that the whole lot are being played as fools by China.

North Korea only came into existence because the Yanks were tired of the war and drew a line (Dean Rusk?) at the 38th parallel.

Then non-nuke North Korea only continued to survive at the grace and favour of China who desired a buffer between China and the US-influenced South Korea.

A nuclear NK is a different story. China's now best bet is to draw NK into their net and get some control over KJU's nukes. But that almost removes the buffer.

Best way to get rid of the buffer problem is to have the two Koreas united as one nation and with the yanks kicked out of the South.

Many in the South and the North would love to get rid of the division. The South government is democratic but is essentially run by Samsung and the other big industrials. They in turn would gain vast potential markets if they threw their lot as a united Korea in with China.

I expect that in the not too distant future we will see a united and China-aligned Korea throw the yanks out.

KJU has had half an hour with Trump but much longer and more often with Xi. One can speculate that the real instigator of the Singaporean summit was China who certainly won't be displeased at the suspension of the war games.

'dems my thoughts.

IP Address: Logged

Treat your allies like $#!t and embrace murderous dictators...

As arguably the closest ally the US has, Australia waited for a year for this grubby individual to send us an ambassador.

Then, at the last moment, the chosen man was sent to another post. Australia is finally being told the truth about how important we are to America.

Not very.

Anyone who ever trusted the USA should have learnt by now that it was a misplaced trust. The rest of the world is just there to do the bidding of USA.

How Trump and his cohorts talk of other world leaders shows him to be very similar to our own Aussie politicians.

...How Trump and his cohorts talk of other world leaders shows him to be very similar to our own Aussie politicians.

I disagree, Yenn.

Our leaders make plenty of dumb decisions and some can't get their foot out of their mouth, but which ones have come anywhere near to the outrageous, contemptible and deliberately divisive blather of Trump and his acolytes?

I disagree, Yenn.Our leaders make plenty of dumb decisions and some can't get their foot out of their mouth, but which ones have come anywhere near to the outrageous, contemptible and deliberately divisive blather of Trump and his acolytes?

How about the Liberal Party conference attendees who want to move our Embassy in Israel from the capitol, Tel Aviv, to Jerusalem, no doubt just because the Yanks have. Guess which one is the Liberal Party.

spacer.png

Not only move the embassy, but they also want to sell the ABC.

After buying shares in Telstra and the Commonwealth Bank and doing fairly well, although Telstra are not much chop now, I wold look at buying into ABC.

When the government sold Telstra, they kept on controlling what the company could do and making up new rules as they went along.

No doubt they would do the same with ABC, plus where would there be an income from ABC? I cannot see there would be anyone willing to buy the ABC, so even if the government sold it, what would they gain? No doubt their expenses would be less, but I cannot see where they will make money.

Once again, the contemptible Right wing of the Liberal party slavishly follows stupid trends in America.

We already have Liberals advocating allowing the gun lobby to redesign our firearm laws.

Despite the government denying any plans to privatise the ABC, the Liberal Party vote clearly shows their agenda if re-elected.

What's wrong with maintaining them in public ownership? It's not as if they cost too much; in terms of the billions spent by government, the ABC and SBS are an excellent investment. Priceless national assets which have helped protect our unique culture from the onslaught of cheap low-quality American programming. The recent series "Mystery Road" is the sort of top quality programming made by the ABC, yet it's funding is regularly cut by governments.

Claims of economic efficiencies are easily shot down. We've seen so many publicly-owned assets sold off; services are cut, prices go up.

It's CONTROL that they want. They resent the existence of any independent media that attempts to balance the outrageous bias of the Murdoch empire.

I hope it's another bullet hole in their shoe. The old ladies in the country love their ABC. They have been trying the more "sneaky", death by 1,000 cuts. Now their secret is OUT. 2:1 Vote to sell to anyone with no one speaking against it.. A slavish imitation of the USA Tea Party. and the IPA in Australia.. Nev