Guitarists

willedoo

Just a thread on notable guitarists in our lifetime. Here's three to start with and my two bob's worth:

Carlos Santana - in a league of his own.

Eric Clapton - one of the world's most accomplished lead guitarists, but slick and polished to the point of being a bit boring.

Peter Green - absolute legend; I wouldn't mind betting he was an influence on later guitarists like Stevie Ray Vaughan.

ONE you don't know.

BERT WEEDON

A guitarist of note that didn't make records or sing, OOPs Just googled him & he did make records.

but a top teacher, for many famous names, like Sir Paul M.

" the Shadows wrote and dedicated a number for Bert, they called it simply "Mr Guitar" - certainly an apt title for Britain's top solo guitar star - Bert Weedon, the man who has become the living legend of the Guitar."

spacesailor

I would hope that John Williams would make the list, and, (because my son is slightly one-eyed about him) maybe Jimi HendrixDavid

I'd agree with your son about Jimi. I remember reading somewhere that he was unique in his time for inventing eleven bar blues.

ONE you don't know.BERT WEEDON

A guitarist of note that didn't make records or sing, OOPs Just googled him & he did make records.

but a top teacher, for many famous names, like Sir Paul M.

" the Shadows wrote and dedicated a number for Bert, they called it simply "Mr Guitar" - certainly an apt title for Britain's top solo guitar star - Bert Weedon, the man who has become the living legend of the Guitar."

spacesailor

Thanks for the head's up, spacesailor. I googled him and he sure had quite a career.

Hendrix was a musical genius; he started delving into Jazz just before Woodstock and seasoned jazz masters thought he might become one of the greats. A tragedy he didn't live longer.

When Hendrix first went to Britain he wanted to see the man he considered the greatest guitarist: Geoff Beck.

Marty said:

Prince

Angus Young

Eclectic mix there Marty !

Here's one you may (or may not know )

[ATTACH]49398._xfImport[/ATTACH]

In 2010, Jeff Beck named John McLaughlin as 'THE BEST GUITARIST ALIVE' I have seen him a number of times and I am inclined to agree.

I was in the audience to see the Mahavishnu Orchestra on two occasions and was gobsmacked. I took up Flying instead,. . .( it's a lot easier than learning to play like that )

If you want to take the trouble to 'Wiki' him, it's 'John McLaughlin ( musician) '

1953204801_JohnMcLaughlin.thumb.PNG.5f90f972d1b9ba85d1b9afdd6f29ebac.PNG

• 2 weeks later...

When I was a young bloke I had some guitars that I never learned to play very well at all. I think I had my possibilities mixed up with my capabilities. One was a Fender acoustic, the other a Fender Telecaster Deluxe. The Telecaster, I downtraded for an Ibanez Les Paul copy. I think if I ever wanted a wall hanger as a collectors item, it would be a gold top Gibson Les Paul.

I too had lots of fun with a couple of cheaper copies. Three things stopped me from achieving greatness: I started late, didn't do the required 5-10,000 hours practise...and had no talent.

My brother-in-law is totally self taught and has been singer-lead guitarist in many bands. He's far from rich, but has a couple of proper guitars, including a gold Les Paul.

Ex business associate has Nine guitars.

I think that his Wifey has told him to get rid of some 'Junk' and he's just offered me a Fender Mexican Telecaster; Black with maple neck, in MINT condx. Set up by Legendary Guitar Luthier Kenny Bowden; having the best action that I have ever seen. . .£250.00 . . . .But - also saving me spare pension money for an 8.33 Khz Airband Hand held radio though ( £290.00 ). . .decisions. . .decisions. . . Clash of interests . . .limited spare cash. . . ( Wifey says "One or 'Tother lad. . " )

Phil, the guitar is much bigger than the radio, so you can always hide the radio behind the guitar, or maybe just let it merge with the other radio gear.

I gave a guy an old cheap guitar amp, his daughter plugged a guitar in and proceeded to play - maybe nothing special, but to hear a 'jam session' live in this guy's living room was something else - I thought she was really good, she probably was ok, but to hear an intimate live performance by someone really enjoying it beats a recording of the best muso every time.

David

PhillSent an email. so your ($(dollars here)) 290 comes down to 250 pounds, If we.re both lucky.He He

spacesailor

I forgot to ask when in July you will be dangling the dunlops in the UK ?. . .better not tell me on an open forum, . . you might have your plane nicked whilst you're away ! Don't for get to cancel the daily papers and the Milkman . . .

Phil

Alls good No papers, No milk delivery, & the planes locked in the garage !.

Also have House-sitters, so even the car is getting used, whilst the Grandson & partner (our house-sitters) are looking for their next car,

It would be a wonderful surprise if they "registered & flew My Hummel-bird", but I know they wouldn't touch anything.

How to put the "pound" sign on a dollar keyboard, this one has a different layout to my Microsoft KBd,(hp).

I'll be here a few weeks yet, and will run for my life when the big school hols start. ( every-thing goes up sky-high in August doesn't it).

Well were not on FB so I'll Try not to upset too many forumites.

spacesailor

PhilAlls good No papers, No milk delivery, & the planes locked in the garage !.

Also have House-sitters, so even the car is getting used, whilst the Grandson & partner (our house-sitters) are looking for their next car,

It would be a wonderful surprise if they "registered & flew My Hummel-bird", but I know they wouldn't touch anything.

How to put the "pound" sign on a dollar keyboard, this one has a different layout to my Microsoft KBd,(hp).

I'll be here a few weeks yet, and will run for my life when the big school hols start. ( every-thing goes up sky-high in August doesn't it).

spacesailor

If you wanna chat on Bookface,. . I rarely visit that platform, other than to look at the Microlight Flying bit,. . My Name on there is 'Jim Perry' as FB lost my details years ago, and wouldn't let me sign in with my real name. . !

I see a couple of 'Formites' on there occasionally, but don't usually engage in conversation, as they wouldn't know who I was. . . .

Eldest Daughter uses it regularly but mainly to keep in touch with the Greek family of her partner,. . .little Daughter never bothers as she reckons that it's full of 'narcissistic wankers' .. .and she doesn't particularly want to know when someone has just been to the toilet, or bought a new puppy,. . . or where they just had their lunch. . with Pictures of food. .SAD stuff really innit. . . .

PhilAlls good No papers, No milk delivery, & the planes locked in the garage !.

spacesailor

When you finally get to the UK, we'll organise a meet up, and have a few pints and a Curry or summat more appetising. . .One of my mates has said that he'll take you up in a Foxbat if you're game. . .

Space, to enter a pound symbol (£) on a dollar keyboard, hold down Alt and type 0163 on the numeric keypad. Doesn't work with the keys at the top of the keyboard. Not sure about Apple keyboards, and tablets/touch screens have me tossed.Google has the answers.

• 4 weeks later...