Do any of you History enthusiasts recall this car ?

Phil Perry

OOOOH,. . .you ARE a cruel man. . . .don't forget that there were a few vehicles that were very popular in the the thirties up to the fifties, which had three wheels, one of them being at the rear. Must've bin popular with the car-'ologists at the time ?. . .and ( for them ) really futuristic looking. . .I am guessing now, that it MUST have been made in either Germany, or Austria,. . .otherwise Adolf would not have been interested, but None of my friendly car buffs had ever seen it before and are asking me for more info which I do not have. . . .which is why I posted it for my most intelligent and well read 'Expert' Aussie mates. . . . a Historical photographer/ Car enthusiast geek that I know has said that the picture was taken around 1932,. .. but he can't confirm this with some further info. . .and I admit I have not got the time nor energy to hawk the pic around a few dozen car websites to see if there is a geek who KNOWS what it is. . / was. . . . carn't be arsed. . . .other things to do and all that. . . .

It's a 1932 Mecedes. A unique Mercedes From Adolf Hitler | World War Stories

King Ghazi was the King of Iraq between Faisal the First (the friend of Lawrence of Arabia in WWl) and Faisal the Second. Hitler gave Ghazi the car in an effort to swing Iraq (and its oil) to the German sphere of influence. At the time, Iraq was involved with Britain through the Anglo-Persian Oil Company, the grandfather of British Petroleum, so it was a sensible move by Hitler to curry favour with the oil king.

Why do you think it's a 3 wheeler? That style is part of the period, opulence grace and streamlined (in appearance if not in fact) the "normal" car would have been somewhat boxy and basic so they try for a contrast to the"normal" cheap object purposely.. Look up Chrysler Streamliner and Cord. Todays cars are almost indistinguishable from each other and would have been seen as grotesque probably way back then.. The Larger Bugatti's are worth a look too as a styling exercise. Nev

F H

" popular in the the thirties up to the fifties, which had three wheels, one of them being at the rear. "

I just took a hint from Phil.

I was just thinking that Rolls-Royce make cars solely for royalty, & not for the wealthy or the public.

spacesailor

Why do you think it's a 3 wheeler? That style is part of the period, opulence grace and streamlined (in appearance if not in fact) the "normal" car would have been somewhat boxy and basic so they try for a contrast to the"normal" cheap object purposely.. Look up Chrysler Streamliner and Cord. Todays cars are almost indistinguishable from each other and would have been seen as grotesque probably way back then.. The Larger Bugatti's are worth a look too as a styling exercise. Nev

Looking at it from other angles, I see that it's NOT a three Wheeler Nev . . my mistake, at first glance, it looked like something an amateur futurist built in the UK in the 60s. . .

BUGATTIS. . A businessman friend of mine ( RIP ) owned Five Bugatti models, and was a member of the Bugatti Club of GB, used to tour Europe in them too. Regrettably, He died suddenly at the age of 54, Their title along with the rest of his estate, Including a very impressive collection of very expensive shotguns; passed to his only direct relative, a 29 year old Daughter ( Not a likeable person. . she had worked for several years in sales for his printing company selling contracts using sex as an inducement . .. ) who was addled by cocaine, heroin and other serious drugs. She sold all five cars in a quick cash deal to some 'Dodgy' motor dealer bloke at the first offer, ( allegedly a tenth of what they were worth )

Shame that. She died from drug related heart failure at the tender age of 30 years and four months. . .,( more than likely having long spent the car money by sucking it up her nose thru rolled up £20 notes. . .and mailining the rest into her veins)

The world can sometimes produce some sad outcomes. . .( Apologies for the 'Drift' )

From the technical and construction view point I'm not particularly a fan of the Bugattis, They are very collectable though, and the styling of the larger ones is extremely opulent and I'm sure would appeal to mafia well heeled types. Look up the Schlumpf (sp?)Collection.. They made aero engines as well but didn't cover them selves with glory there.. Nev

Typically thirties styling. I had a Riley Kestrel which was a watered down version of that styling. Long flowing mudguards and the rear of the body sloping down to nearly ground level, the radiator was well back from the front of the mudguards. As far as streamlining goes it is better to taper the back, than to make the front look streamlined. The drag comes from the air trying to fill in the space where the body of the car has just left.