Targeted Advertising

octave

So we all know that advertisers on the net like to target their adverts to those they deem likely (by their search history I suppose) to be interested in what they have to offer. I just got a targeted advert for this product Green Low Waist Sexy Open Buttock Men's Underwear XL-$14.82 Online Shopping| GearBest.com

My question is this should I buy or not? Can you imagine octave in this product?

So we all know that advertisers on the net like to target their adverts to those they deem likely (by their search history I suppose) to be interested in what they have to offer. I just got a targeted advert for this product Green Low Waist Sexy Open Buttock Men's Underwear XL-$14.82 Online Shopping| GearBest.com

My question is this should I buy or not? Can you imagine octave in this product?

As you say - Google's algorithms have worked out, by your previous search history, that this is the sort of thing appropriate for you.

Which raises interesting questions about your search history...

It does make you wonder, Marty. I occasionally get pop ups saying some old boiler just down the road wants to meet me.

Ok, I can grasp that my IP address indicates location, hence the pop up stating the address of the said old boiler.

But how does Google know that I'm not exactly young anymore and might be a possible contender for the company of an old boiler. For the record, I'm not a contender and have never searched online for old boilers. And why does Google think that I'd have no interest in these old birds other than some insane desire to jump their tired old bones. Mis-directed marketing in my opinion.

My point is that if I was 25 years old, they wouldn't spam me with offers of some old chook. The only thing I can think of is that at times when websites ask for an age grouping in a so called survey (very rare), maybe Google harvests that and databases it in the never never of webness.

I guess if they ever cop some flak over their practices they can always do as Mark Inyourfacebook did and blame the Russians. It's almost unbelievable that a bunch of clowns control so much data on so many people. And they can keep their old boilers as far as I'm concerned. My place is a granny free zone and I want Google to know that.

I think the old boilers get advertised to everyone, along with penis extensions and lovely young Russian supermodels just looking for fat ugly middle-class men in western countries.

All, of course, imaginary and set up by Nigerian criminals.

I use Gmail for emails and it's got a great scam filter - hasn't failed once.

I don't get peoples objection to targeted ads, in fact, I would rather have targeted ads than the non-targeted ads such as on TV OK the targeting can be somewhat sloppy at times but I would rather get an ad about something I am vaguely interested in than sports bet ads on TV.

If targeted ads are distasteful then I must admit that I have used target ads. When I moved to Vic 7 years ago had to rebuild my music teaching business. In the past I had always relied on word of mouth but then I was known in that area. Once in Vic I needed to get new students. I could have done letterbox drops but mostly you are sticking irellavent junk into the mail boxes of people who mostly don't want it. instead I used advertising on Facebook. I was able to narrow down the peolpe who saw the ad to those in my geographical area and to eliminate ads to those who would be unliely ot require my services. I do not see this as being sinister.

Just on the Facebook thing, whilst I do believe there are serious questions to be addressed i am not in a flap about it. I am confident that no one has misused my private information since I do not post anything online that I would consider private.

Octave I doubt that current targeted advertising is the most efficient way to find potential customers.

After I bought a TV, I was swamped with ads for TVs. Like I was likely to buy a few more of them...

The same goes for a welder, a new screen for our car's air con, a traffic cam...

At the moment I am renovating a house, therefore I get adverts for building materials, lights etc some of which has been useful. I cant see that it is less successful than advertising gym membership to my 90-year-old dad.

I do remember when we bought 40 acres of bush on the southern tablelands ( 1990) We lived pretty rough on our block whilst we built a house, all a decent clothes were in storage and we drove a rusty old utility. We got a letter in the mail from a very fancy country club (they must have obtained our address from someone, perhaps the real estate agent.) The letter asked if we as leading members of the southern tablelands community would be interested in joining. They said we were exactly the kind of people they were looking for as members. They assumed because we bought a large property that we must have been wealthy We did consider rolling up looking very poor as we did at the time. Anyway, the point is targeted advertising is not new. I guess some people will be freaked out or annoyed by it but to me, it is the price of getting a service for free. I can watch television for free, the downside I have to be subjected to adverts for products I not only don't want but I may not even approve of. At least on FB I can click on don't show me this ad again. in fact, I can go to manage ads and decide which ads I receive. If only I could do that on free to air television

At the moment I am renovating a house, therefore I get adverts for building materials, lights etc some of which has been useful. I cant see that it is less successful than advertising gym membership to my 90-year-old dad.

I do remember when we bought 40 acres of bush on the southern tablelands ( 1990) We lived pretty rough on our block whilst we built a house, all a decent clothes were in storage and we drove a rusty old utility. We got a letter in the mail from a very fancy country club (they must have obtained our address from someone, perhaps the real estate agent.) The letter asked if we as leading members of the southern tablelands community would be interested in joining. They said we were exactly the kind of people they were looking for as members. They assumed because we bought a large property that we must have been wealthy We did consider rolling up looking very poor as we did at the time. Anyway, the point is targeted advertising is not new. I guess some people will be freaked out or annoyed by it but to me, it is the price of getting a service for free. I can watch television for free, the downside I have to be subjected to adverts for products I not only don't want but I may not even approve of. At least on FB I can click on don't show me this ad again. in fact, I can go to manage ads and decide which ads I receive. If only I could do that on free to air television

Yeah yeah.

What we want to know is, did you buy the breezy undies?