OLD BIKES. . .we need another thread ( ! )

Phil Perry

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't go calling his wife names, but she does look to be rather hirsute.

I did notice that he is driving (ya don't 'ride' a machine with more than two wheels) past an Alchemist's shop. Not sure we have many of those around here.

Sign of an observant bloke... you managed to get past the disturbing image in the foreground!

50 year's between rides is a long time, and it wasn't on the blacktop.

From the WELLINGTON "water-tanks" over the river (first time ever water crossing) over the mountain (hill) in background, almost to Wellington airport YWEL.

Fairly long ride for a oldie.

spacesailor

• 3 weeks later...

I owned a HRD Vincent BlackPrince a Long-Long time ago.

Now they are worth MONEY!.

"

THE MOST EXPENSIVE MOTORCYCLE

In the world

"The sale was a trifecta—an original, storied, Lightning—which is a magic combination," said motorcycle historian Paul D'Orleans to the Los Angeles Times.

"The sale proves the value of an original-paint competition bike loaded with history."

The 1951 Vincent Black Lightning sold for $929,000 at a Bonhamsauction in Las Vegas."

(1951 Vincent Black Lightning Breaks Record for Most Expensive Motorcycle Ever Sold

spacesailor[ATTACH]49207._xfImport[/ATTACH]

BlackLightning.thumb.jpg.d59a836b8b0d05f03e8cb78c8f657f49.jpg

Never owned a Holden. Worked on a few over the years. HSV did a great job here. They got rid of Holden Fords and Toyota to get the trade deal done, that got Andrew Robb a good job. Cars are subsidised everywhere so why not here? The profit /dollar was between 9 and 19 x. the subsidy. (co investment) 200,000 employed directly and in supporting industries, Fairly high tech and what we do well.. With more robotics who cares where it's made. It's less and less to do with wages.. Export is it so why see local demand/consumption as the criteria.? Nev.

They're a great old bike. A mate of mine had a Venom Clubman in the early 70's. I always had a lot of trouble starting it, although he never had any problems. With my old AJS 500, I'd just crank the kickstart down till I could feel compression, give it a slight bump on that, let it back up and give it the boot and it would start every time. Didn't work with the Velo though. It had some weird sort of process from memory.

Photo below taken in 1971 is the AJS 500, a 1957 model, and my first registered road bike. First bike was a BSA Bantam 175 when I was about fourteen. I had some other unregistered bikes after that - a Honda Dream, Ariel 500 and a 750 Indian with a Dusting sidecar. Next registered bike after the AJS was a 1972 Norton Commando Fastback, the old drum brake model. I'll see if I can find a photo of it. I bought it brand new in the box from Norton Villiers in Brisbane, took it home and put it together. Worked for a bloke who was a Norton dealer, that's how I was able to get one direct from the wholesalers in a box from the warehouse.

It would be nice to still have some of them. I sold the Indian for $50 and the sidecar separately for $25. At the time $50 was a weeks take home pay.

Cheers, Willie.

[ATTACH]49212._xfImport[/ATTACH]

Bike.thumb.JPG.36e6d8c27ecf09f70e5f9450861e6ad0.JPG

I had the same AJS500 in 1966 but had to sell when my first born came along,by the way love the hair, mine was the same about 1972ish LOLcheers Gareth

Gareth, the only problem was that I had wavy hair. By the time I hit thirty, it was waving goodbye to my forehead.

• 2 weeks later...

He's been practicing , that bloke. I dunno where he has his feet hooked to on pic #1. You can see the original leather mudflap on the front guard in the same pic. The trick with the second pic is to ease it over and let it roll. You will notice the front brake is not on.. (left hand actuated). nor is the rear brake . He has his feet on the top of the crashbar. Nev

OME the Indians originally ran left hand throttles Left foot clutch and RH gear change... Harley front hand brake lever was on the left hand side as is the advance retard twist grip. (Same as your Waller). Modern Harleys are fairly conventional. Both brakes (Hydraulic ) on the RH side. Gear change (foot) on the left. most foot change Brit Bikes are rhs foot gear change and foot brake (rear) on the left hand side.

Early bikes had no front brakes till about 1928 ,( Nor did cars) a DUAL brake on the rear wheel only was used after about 1918. at about that time some had a set up where disengaging the clutch all the way brought on the rear brake as a means of actuating it this meant that you could not use the gears for braking so is a poor idea. Long downhills need engine braking to avoid overheating the small brakes fitted at the time..Nev

• 1 month later...

Anyone recognize this Bike ?

[ATTACH]49303._xfImport[/ATTACH]

The Motorbike of a Man With the Stomach for a Fight

James Hewitson was a Coniston man who was wounded four times in the First World War and who returned to the fray four times. This young man had the stomach for the fight. On the 26th of April 1918 at Givenchy Lance Corporal Hewitson was leading his troop against a squad of German soldiers operating out of bomb craters. He and his men cleared out their main objective, Hewitson personally killing six men who refused to surrender. Before he had time for a breather he recognised that a machine gun post was being set up to bear down on his squad. He flanked the machine gun crew, personally killing four of the enemy and capturing another. On the same day he routed a German bombing team that was attacking his Lewis gun position, killing a further six German soldiers.

James was awarded the Victoria Cross for his outstanding bravery.

James Hewitson lived his whole life in Coniston until he died in 1963, during this time he had long spells in hospital due to shrapnel embedded in his back; he was buried with military honours at St Andrews Church Coniston. His fully restored motorbike, which cost him £47/17/6, is part of the exhibition. Here is a testament to a very brave and humble man.

This bike is an a small museum in Coniston town. Donald Campbell's Bluebird, removed from the water in 2000, and now fully restored, will be displayed nearby.

Coniston Water was chosen fro Cambell's attempt at the world speed record, it is 8.9 Kilometres long giving a fairly straight run.

The Chap I got the details from forgot to identify the Bike !

2087262269_JamesHewitsonVChisbikeinconistonmuseum.thumb.jpg.e658b583e431c031a2a2d614402ec4fa.jpg

I don't know what MAKE the bike is but it's not of the first world war period nor is it a model of what one might call at the peak of development for the time or a "performance" machine. It's a small capacity sidevalve probably form the mid twenties. How authentically it is "restored" I'm not sure. The oil pump (Pilgrim), wasn't used till 1928. the front brake is (usually) post 1926.. Nev

I don't know what MAKE the bike is but it's not of the first world war period nor is it a model of what one might call at the peak of development for the time or a "performance" machine. It's a small capacity sidevalve probably form the mid twenties. How authentically it is "restored" I'm not sure. The oil pump (Pilgrim), wasn't used till 1928. the front brake is (usually) post 1926.. Nev

Thanks Nev, the text says his bike cost nearly £48.00 But didn't say if it was new at the time. I have messaged a friend who lives not far away from there to see if he can dig any info on it. He's just retired, so he's got plenty of time ( ! )

• 3 weeks later...