Major Cruise Company Withdraws from Melbourne Amid Port Fee Hike

red750

Story from a number of major news sources.

In a significant move, a leading cruise ship company has decided to withdraw several of its cruises from Melbourne, Australia, in response to the recent hike in port charges by the Victorian government. The decision is anticipated to have far-reaching implications on the local economy, particularly on businesses that thrive on tourism and the influx of passengers that cruise ships usher in.

The port charge, which is set to rise from $28.50 per passenger to $32 per passenger effective from January 1, has led the cruise lines, namely Princess and Cunard, to halt their calls to Melbourne from 2025. The cruise lines’ decision is primarily driven by the sudden and significant increase in fees and charges by Ports Victoria, which has led them to question the economic viability of their operations in Melbourne.

According to Carnival Corporation’s chief strategy officer, Teresa Lloyd, the 15% increase in fees, without any prior notice, has sparked concerns within the industry. Lloyd underlined the substantial economic benefits that the cruise industry brings to Victoria, contributing an impressive $379.5 million to the state’s economy in the fiscal year 2022/23. The industry’s contribution has been instrumental in supporting local producers, suppliers, the hospitality industry, and job creation.

If you ever get the chance to be around a cruise ship wharf where a ship is loading provisions for a cruise, you will get a good idea of how much these cruise ships put into the fruit, veggie, meat and milk providers. It's not the tourists who are the benefit of these ships operating from a port.

7 minutes ago, facthunter said:

They love to get everything at minimum cost.

Don't you?

Sure, they would be hard bargainers when it comes to the price they pay for these products, but without them, where do providores sell the stuff produced by farmers. I wonder how much of this money flowing into the economy was lost when COVID stopped the cruises.

Go back and read  the response from you I'm complaining of . . Is THAT acceptable? . I don't just reprint stuff straight from party sources. Never have and never will and I give reasons backing MY opinion. I'm Not a member of the Labor party either. I thought demeaning and personal comments were taboo here. Any Liberal person I've commented on is no longer in office, so I'm not alone in my criticism.  I'll stop political commentary IF you will OK?  Nev

7 hours ago, facthunter said:

They love to get everything at minimum cost. Often the crews work for almost nothing.  Nevf

isn't that just shipping in general?
and why its all traditionally been Greeks, Russians and Philippine workers.

that's the thing about it being worldwide industry, with flags of convenience - can just go to the lowest labor market available.

could you imagine the aviation industry if it had flags of convenience and the same labor market?

• Agree 1

OME. I make a point of not buying stuff from places and companies who EXPLOIT workers  outrageously  when I can, and it's a known thing and cruise ships are an obvious example. They have ruined places like Venice and couldn't CARE less.   Plenty of Airlines sell tickets at below cost . Ansett used to do this to drive a competitor off the route and then up the prices. Competition is GOOD it it's LEGIT. Very few countries will expose it's internal routes to overseas Airlines.for safety and unfair competition aspects.  How would you like it if the NSW gov't  chose to save money on Police training and wages by importing fresh Young, handsome and cheap replacements from say India . No your Association (Union) would quickly put a stop to that.  Weren't you lucky? (Hypothetically)? Nev

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, facthunter said:

How would you like it if the NSW gov't  chose to save money on Police training and wages by importing fresh Young, handsome and cheap replacements from say India .

Despite the tendency of many members to perpetuate the idea of the "mug copper", to join the NSW Police nowadays, one has to have completed the Certificate of Policing, a Certificate IV level of education that is the same certificate level as the AME working on your plane, or the tradesman changing your tap washers. Cunningly, the NSW Government decreed that applicants for the Office of Constable must complete the Certificate of Policing at their own expense. Thereafter, if accepted for further training in the practicalities of policing, applicants must attend a period of live-in training, earning no income and paying for board and lodging. How many Slumdog Millionaires could be found in the streets of Mumbai who could afford that expense?

And you must remember that the art of policing requires the practitioner to be immersed in the nuances of the society being policed. I can tell you that the way one polices is different in every local government area in the State. What is de rigueur  in Campbelltown, Broadmeadows or Elizabeth South won't cut it in the Snob Hills of Sydney, Melbourne and Adelaide. Again, you can't police a country town in the same way as you police a metropolitan suburb. Sanjeet and Ravi would be lost in any of these places.

• Informative 1

I wasn't questioning the qualifications of a good policeman. The points you make apply to many professions. Not all Airline pilots have the same training either and if overseas pilots are flying into more remote areas thy might not have the requisite training or paper work. I was coming into Tullamarine one day when an overseas airline lined up on RWY 34 at Essendon by mistake. Another time I was landing an  Airbus A-300 at Mascot and a Garuda 707 decided to cross the runway just as I came over the fence. I went around and missed by 50 feet what would have been the biggest Aviation disaster  bar Teneriffe ever.  Nev

• Like 1
  • Informative 1
  • Sad 1

so went down the rabbits hole and the largest ships registered with an Australian flag are the freight ferries that run between Tasmania and Victoria.

The Spirit of Tasmania. is registered in Genoa, Italy....
And the Bulk carriers for BHP were registered in Panama, till they had three deaths in 12 months, and swapped to Liberia to avoid the investigations.

makes the cruise industry look like pretty good employers in comparison

• Sad 2

That is " illegal ".

The park has been taken over by that EV crowd,  NO IC aircraft allowed. 

NO public flying either.  Club members only .

No children drones , to be flown as well .

One club member flew his ' gas-turbine ' jet from there, across the ' Windsor Rd ' and around the 

' Winstonhills Church ' and return in a few " seconds " . ( it was Fast ) .

spacesailor

3 hours ago, spacesailor said:

SO ! .

Can we register Our little fliabouts in " Liberia " or " Panama " .

spacesailor

I actually live onboard a ship originally registered with the American Bureau of Shipping for international waters. These days home is Port Stephens.

Funny part is she is not 98 metres but only 9.8 metres 😭.

It's only a Clipper pocket sea trawler. 

I can just imagine my friendly Maritime officer laughing his arse off it I did that.🧐😝

I tried to register my 12 metre ' ship ' ( 42ft yacht) as " port Botony " but was refused , without explanation. 

Told to use ' Sydney ' . I should have checked my " spellings " .

So port of registration " Sydney " Australia. 

not  "Botany Bay Australia " .

TWO REGISTRATIONS  Australian and NSW . Which had to end with  " N " .

spacesailor

Edited by spacesailor
Missed word