Has the Mining Boom Destroyed Australia?

old man emu

On the positive side, you can change careers now whereas in earlier times when apprenticeships were 10 or 12 years, you really were stuck in that profession for life.

My brother in law was a paper pusher until his late 30s, then went to TAFE and became an electrician. Obviously having the support of a wife with a good job helped. 

• Informative 1

I think you'd have to go a long way back to find  a 10 - 12 year apprenticeship.

It was 4 years back in the 50's.

But they did not have adult entry for apprenticeships for many trades back then, so it was very difficult to change careers unless you did a adult entry degree.

I do think that they made a big mistake by raising the apprentice wage too much. Bearing in mind that for the first two years a parenting is basically a load on the tradesman until they gain skills/common sense, and only need enough money for lunches and bus fares. Nowadays apprentices expect to be paid enough to get married snd raise kids.

• Agree 1

Yes, the 10 year ones were a couple hundred years back, when you started in childhood and worked for nothing for the master.  But as OME mentioned, that was when craftsmanship was valued.

I'm not sure that the apprentice is a load on the tradie for 2 years, depends on the apprentice really.  Get someone who's quick and motivated and they'll be far more useful than a lazy qualified tradie.

24 minutes ago, nomadpete said:

I do think that they made a big mistake by raising the apprentice wage too much.

Do any motor vehicle servicing mobs charge you less when an apprentice does your oil change rather than a tradesman? No way! It's the same price no matter how qualified the person who does the work is.

33 minutes ago, nomadpete said:

Nowadays apprentices expect to be paid enough to get married snd raise kids.

The statistics refute that. From the mid-1970s until 2018 there was a steady and ongoing increase in the median age of men and women at first marriage. This upward trend halted between 2018 and 2020 but continued again in 2021. In 2021 the median age of men was 30.8 years, and women 29.4 years.

image.thumb.png.dbd8947d13069665bba59f94c9e3730c.png

However, I will concede that while these figures are based on the number of registered marriages, they do not reflect the actuality that many young people are living together and raising kids without the formality of the legality of a marriage. I suspect that even some of those who marry older are simply formalising a long-standing relationship.

"Teen marriages" have never been a common thing, except for political reasons amongst the aristocracy. Taking early 20th Century figures from Britain, we see that men and women were marrying on average at ages 27.5 and 26.2 in England and Wales in 1911, and ages 28.3 and 26.4 in Scotland in 1901.

• Informative 1

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.

When I was an apprentice, back in the days of indentured apprenticeships, I couldn't afford the sleasiest of rentals until I finished my time and went onto tradesman's wages.

More recently, my stepson got married, moved into a neat rented house and started his family - whilst still in his third year plumbing apprenticeship.

Ergo, a livable income was not available to apprentices under the old system, but is now.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

2 hours ago, nomadpete said:

Ergo, a livable income was not available to apprentices under the old system, but is now.

9 hours ago, nomadpete said:

Nowadays apprentices expect to be paid enough to get married snd raise kids.

BUT was that his expectation when he began his apprenticeship, or is he merely the beneficiary of a change in the economy?

3 hours ago, old man emu said:

BUT was that his expectation when he began his apprenticeship, or is he merely the beneficiary of a change in the economy?

The present apprenticeship scheme provides better income than it once did.

And present payscales exceed the earning capacity of unskilled apprentiles

And you're still alive and I'll wager a number of the underground miners you knew, aren't alive any more.

When I was working in the W.A. Goldfields in the early to mid-1970's, we were losing around one miner a month due to rockfalls.

Fortunately, improved mining techniques involving more mechanisation and much more protective equipment, and a strong accent on safety, has seen mining deaths in W.A. reduce dramatically in the intervening 50 years.

4 hours ago, onetrack said:

And you're still alive and I'll wager a number of the underground miners you knew, aren't alive any more.

When I was working in the W.A. Goldfields in the early to mid-1970's, we were losing around one miner a month due to rockfalls.

Fortunately, improved mining techniques involving more mechanisation and much more protective equipment, and a strong accent on safety, has seen mining deaths in W.A. reduce dramatically in the intervening 50 years.

I was a member of the WMC "elimination of fatalities taskforce". I think it made a big difference.

• Informative 1

Now , there's plenty of closed & abandoned mines in many countries, 

Why no fill them with that ' nuclear waste ' that is hard to put to sleep ( safely  away ) for many centuries .

I have been in an old training mine, it's so large you could easily build a single storey house there

And that was one level of many.

spacesailor

3 hours ago, facthunter said:

Just where is a satisfactory solution in Place

Unfortunately, we must accept compromises. Burn dinosaur juice and you heat up the planet. Use nuclear fission and you are left with a "small" volume of nasty waste (relative to the energy produced from the fresh material). Solar can't make hay while the Sun doesn't shine, and the answer, my friend, isn't blowin' in the wind. We can sequester nuclear waste underground, if we select the best geological formations to put it into. 

• Sad 1