What would you advise a young bloke to do?

old man emu

I've got a grand-nephew who has just finished his Year 10 exams. He's a good, hard-working kid with a strong interest in diesel mechanics. The time has come to decide what he will do in 2024. 

His parents want him to stay on to Year 12. Bearing in mind that they are going through their first run at raising kids (one has just finished Year 12, and another is a lot younger), is it the right thing to do for an old bloke who has raised his kids and seen what they have done to suggest a suitable plan for this Year 10 kid?

I don't think the kid has the right stuff to go onto to do an automotive engineering degree at the end of Year 12. He's cluey enough when working on vehicles, but I doubt if he has a good enough grip on mathematics to handle the theory side of an automotive engineering degree. 

Based on what I have seen in my life, and projecting an expectation of this country's future skills needs, I would suggest that he leaves school and takes up an apprenticeship in his desired field. My reasoning is this. Since he's not an academic, he won't gain much benefit from doing two years' work in a variety of subjects that he would have to take to get his HSC. If he's behind in trade maths, then he can always get a tutor for that one topic. If he starts an apprenticeship in 2024, he'll be starting the Third year when his former classmates are looking to start their careers. By the time he's twenty years old, he will have completed his apprenticeship and have that qualification in his back pocket to fall on if he decides to take a break and try something else. If he stays in the trade, he would be pretty well assured of employment for the rest of his life. Also, he could follow his father's life path and go from a mechanic on the floor to a manager of a diesel engineering business - maybe even an owner.

Should I press the point that for him, two years in a high school would be two years wasted over his lifetime? Not that anyone in the family is going to listen to my opinion.

• Like 1

Mechanical and diesel would be close to the last way I would go, at this point in time. I used to have quite a few schoolkids ask me about this when I was teaching.. Male Nurse in a hospital should assure work almost anywhere.  Work in Tourism? Male flight attendant. Learn cooking. Get you bartender's qualifications etc Security Guard . Park Ranger in wildlife Park  Nev

• Informative 1

What does he want to do? Our son had an early interest in electrical things. He finished year 12 without any real idea of what to do as a career. He had a passing interest in economics so with our encouragement but without much enthusiasm he went to uni and got a degree. After a few years working in banks and gaining extra financial qualifications along the way, at the age of 25, he decided he'd had enough, resigned and got a mature age apprenticeship as a commercial electrician. He's landed on his feet and is now a skilled electrician including both LV and HV work, and enjoys what he does. If we'd encouraged him to follow his instincts more at the time instead of encouraging him to go to uni, which he now sees a largely a career setback, he might have been happier. Nevertheless, no education is wasted and there aren't that many electricians with a degree to their name.

• Informative 1
  • Winner 1

Has the lad done any work experience?

At that age, his interests are what will motivate him in whatever path he takes, and therefore give him greatest chance of doing well at it.

As far as employability goes, trades are in great demand. Last stepson did plumbing, got instantly employed, now self employed mostly doing commercial work, and is making inroads on his mortgage.

Stepdaughter di degree in soil hydraulics and environmental science. Got a well paid job straight out of uni.

They did what worked for them, even though at first they had misgivings and almost threw in the towel.

One of Nev's favourite sayings.... "You make your own luck". 

So I can't  help you with this one, OME.

• Like 2

He has a great interest in the automotive trades. He worked with his brother to rebuild the brother's ute and now they are working on the Year 10's ute - he's only recently got his Ls. The work was supervised by their dad who is a qualified mechanic.

Yes, he's spent a lot of his recent school holidays swinging spanners in the trade, and would be able to start tomorrow. Big problem is that the mob he has worked for is over in Narromine, about an hour's drive from Gilgandra, and these country kids don't like spending money on petrol (160 km round trip).

1 hour ago, facthunter said:

Mechanical and diesel would be close to the last way I would go

Your other suggestions are quite reasonable in general, but not for this kid. His personality doesn't go towards serving others in the hospitality or health industries.

The question really is: HSC and start an apprenticeship in 2026, or start an apprenticeship in 2024 and be halfway through by 2026.  

• Informative 1

1 minute ago, Marty_d said:

I'd be careful about giving him too much advice.

2 hours ago, old man emu said:

Not that anyone in the family is going to listen to my opinion.

Who's going to listen to someone who's been there, done that, bought the T-shirt and got the photos back from the Chemist?

If he's been fixing cars and hasn't got sick of it already, and his Dads in the Mechanical Trade, then I'd have to opine his future is mapped out for him, as a mechanic or fitter.

Mechanical knowledge backed by the engineering theory is always good to have in your resume.

If he wanted a career choice that has massive potential, then auto-electrical would be the way to go. But only if he has electrical aptitude. You either have or you don't have it.

And if he wants lots and lots and lots of money, he needs to go into the drug trade, or a corporate career. Not much difference between either - just that one is illegal, the other is legal, and greatly admired (for reasons I have yet to figure out).

• Like 1

As has been said by @pmccarthy, @rgmwa,  and @nomadpete, he should follow the path he wants to. Yes, they are young and inexperienced, but youth is on his side and any mistakes mnade now will be a learning experience that will set him up for life. As @Marty_d says, any advice should be inclusive of his parents unles you are happy to risk alienation; but it can be done in different ways, but importantly, it has to come from him; you can provide a sympathetic or empathetic ear and support when he brings it up with his parents. But it has to come from him.

If he asks you advice about what he should do, I would answer it in a questioning way - What do you like about it; do you know the salary, training and hours; what are the good and bad sides of the job or path, etc; Get him to answner them to arrive at his own decision and help him fill gaps - preferably with the parents.

Speaking from experience, I had a stubborn SOB for a father (I loved him very much and we got on incredibly well... but he was a stubborn SOB). He was insistent I go to university and do a particular vocation. It got to the point he was ramming it down my throat, and I became very rebellious as a result. He didn't let me find my own way (ironically, I probably would have followed that path if he left me to my devices). As such, it ended up putting me back at least 5 years in a career and did sap my self-confidence which took a long time to rebuild.

Remember, 75% or thereabouts of the population go to a job they , at best, dislike, and often hate. If a kid follows a path doing osmething they like, and better still, something they love, they are likely to be more successful at their job, their relationships, health, and happier with life. Theyt don't consider it going to work, but to have fun. That is a very good spot to be in, in life.

@rgmwa - your son probably won't see the university as a setback in the scheme of things - once he is older. University provides its own unique experiences and maturity which are hard to replicate in any other setting.

Edited by Jerry_Atrick
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, Jerry_Atrick said:

@rgmwa - your son probably won't see the university as a setback in the scheme of things - once he is older. University provides its own unique experiences and maturity which are hard to replicate in any other setting.

I agree. He enjoyed wearing a suit and working in the the city for a while, so I don't think he regrets it too much. It gave him skills, insight into the world of banking and finance, and a maturity and experience that he wouldn't have got otherwise. It's all contributed to where he is now. 

• Like 2

If a bloke is switched on, by the time he gets to his retirement years he's gained enough experience of the world to make some pretty good decisions. My decision is to keep my thoughts to myself. It's no good giving unsolicited, or solicited advice to the young. They'll just plunge into Life at the deep end and by their decisions will either sink or swim.

Get him into ( word for programming ) .

Mechanical will be gone in a few years , But those electronics will have to be reprogrammed for each use .

My Grandson Is a qualified mechanic with the electronics to boot, But has given it away as he earns lots more elsewhere , plus a company car .

spacesailor