Corruption in Ukraine

Bruce Tuncks

I was shocked on reading about corruption still existing in Ukraine. Previously, I thought that while it used to be corrupt, since Zelenskyy things have improved dramatically.

Alas I now have my doubts.

One of the worst things was reading that "most people" expected to have to bribe the police... gosh I hope that this was years ago and not now.

It would be hard to get rid of it completely, but they've made good inroads into it. This week the European Commission gave the go-ahead to start negotiations on Ukraine joining the EU. They said that Ukraine has complied with 90% of the EU requirements for membership. A lot of the requirements are involved with political and government reform, and the cleaning up of corruption. Not a bad effort when compared to Turkey who applied for EU membership in 1987 and are still not accepted thirty six years later .

• Like 2

We really live in a unique country when it comes to the expectation of officials for something to "help the process along".

A bloke once offered me $20.00 to go no further with a speeding ticket. He eventually was convicted of "Offer Bribe" and was fined. He also lost his $20.00 which was forfeited to the Crown. And he still got done for speeding.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, willedoo said:

I'm not very familiar with Turkey's application but I would make a guess that EU human rights standards would be an issue there.

Erdogan certainly won't help Turkey's cause; he purged the judiciary within months of his first term.

But, Turkey coudl transform all it wants; Greece will always veto it..

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

To put it into context, I recall it was with reference to tourism at the time. So probably only referring to daily bribes affecting tourism, not necessarily the big end of town.

In fact the writer mentioned the need to hire "financial guide" there and some Red Sea countries. This helps the traveller to spend on productive bribes rather than con men bribes. Even the bribing system is riddled with its own corruption.

Of course the writer cautioned visitors to carefully research to find an honest bribe guide!

Edited by nomadpete
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Bruce Tuncks said:

I guess it's much easier to get into the EU than to get chucked out. How come Greece is still in there if they are so corrupt?

To evict a member would need the unanimous vote of all 27 member countries. You would have to be pretty bad to have them all vote against you. Same in reverse, you need the vote of all members to join. That's why Ukraine will never be able to join the EU while putin's butt plug Viktor Orban, PM of Hungary, is still in power and can veto. putin also now has a second mole in the EU with the pro Russia mob winning power in Slovakia.

• Informative 1

Hungary is a tragic place...  I well remember the uprising ( 1954 I think) when the army supported the protesters and the russians came in brutally killing thousands.

This led eventually to Aborigines being citizens, since the russians were ready and primed when Australia joined the chorus of complaints about their wicked ways. The worst-off ethnic group in the Soviet Union  had better stats than the abos had in those days. Australians were on the nose for months after the russians pointed all this out.

In my first job as an engineer, I worked with a Hungarian woman who said that their whole history was messed up with traitors of various types. I hope that she ( Viola) finished up alright. The other guy there was Frank the pole, who saved to go back to Poland where they couldn't understand his language. Frank was a smart draughtsman but hopeless as a linguist. We couldn't understand him either, he spoke such a heavily accented mixture of polish and english so as to be incomprehensible. ( he had left Poland in 1939 to work as a mechanic on spitfires)

• Informative 2