What is an Aborigine?

Bruce Tuncks

I do think that people who identify as aborigines get thousands of dollars more a year than white welfare types .

Tucker money, kid money, royalty money, free housing, and I didn't know about dog money. There would be more, for example rent money from the commercial properties owned by aboriginal corporations. I have no incentive to add it all up, but it amounts to a lot. Preferential treatment for covid vaccinations is on lots of notices right now, and preferential treatment for university enrollment is just another example.

Why, I ask you, do people with plainly white skin identify as aboriginal? I suggest for the money.

• Informative 1

Not that I'm any supporter of the Daily Wail, but this article from last year is revealing - on the basis that the (genuine) Aborigines are concerned about the "Aboriginality-gravy train".

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10516445/Rising-number-Australians-falsely-claiming-Aboriginal-gain-benefits-sparks-fierce-debate.html

Marty, in W.A., the 2021 Aboriginal South West (W.A.) Native Title settlement with the Noongar-Boodjar group has resulted in the Noongar-Boodjar Trust and associated Aboriginal (newly-formed) Corporations, and other recently-created Aboriginal bodies, receiving absolutely vast sums of monies - all for the benefit of an exclusive group of approximately 30,000 Noongar people, comprising less than 1.124% of W.A.'s population.

The total payout to this exclusive group of approximately 30,000 people, is estimated to eventually be around $1.5B - simply because this group has claimed they were "here first". 

Added to the above, is that every Govt form I fill in, asks if I have Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander ancestry - which, if I do tick that box - immediately puts me in a separate and special class of people, to whom extra entitlements accrue, based solely on their ancestry. Furthermore, as a person with white skin, I need a permit to transit Aboriginal Lands. I note no permit is required for Aboriginals to transit "white peoples lands".  Apartheid is alive and well in Australia today.

https://www.wa.gov.au/government/media-statements/McGowan-Labor-Government/State-Government-pays-%2468-million-to-Noongar-Boodja-Trust-20230428#:~:text="The Settlement%2C Australia's largest and,robust and unified Noongar Nation.

Edited by onetrack
  • Like 1

Hermannsburg used to be in my backyard. But the airstrip is overgrown now since cars got so good with airconditioning etc. If you ever see the picture of a Conellan's dragon rapide which crashed  there on take-off, I would appreciate a copy.

I reckon it shows that the rapide just cleared the fence but not the trees nearby but it did not catch fire and so there were possibly no fatalities. I always assumed that the crash was caused by the high density altitude coupled with the low power of 2 gypsy engines. This was all because Menzies was an anglophile and he wouldn't let connellan's buy beechcraft.

My memory might well be faulty. I think it ( the pic) was in the "centralian advocate" because my first job in life was folding the paper as it came off the press, but this may be wrong.

ps...  I was aware of the restrictions surrounding the place as well as the royalties but I didn't know about the toll road.

2 hours ago, red750 said:

Onextrack, I saw someone on TV the other day say that in W.A. now, you cannot move a barrow load of soil without a permit. zIs this true?

Full details here: https://www.wa.gov.au/organisation/department-of-planning-lands-and-heritage/aboriginal-cultural-heritage-act-2021

We're on half an acre and could potentially be affected (although pretty unlikely), but the farmers out there are very unhappy.  Fines for serious violations can up to $10m for a company or $1m for an individual and 5 years in prison. For failing to report a site that may be culturally significant the fine is $20,000 for individuals and $100,000 for companies. You also have to pay hourly rates for the local aboriginal representatives to come and assess your property for its cultural heritage value.

• Informative 1

You beauty! A new Empire has been conceived.

The new Aboriginal Cultural Heritage Act 2021 (Act) provides for the establishment of Local Aboriginal Cultural Heritage Services (LACHS) to enable Aboriginal people to be decision makers in relation to activities that may impact their cultural heritage. LACHS will be locally based incorporated Aboriginal organisations that will play a key role in the identification, conservation, and management of Aboriginal Cultural Heritage (ACH) within a defined geographic area. The State Government has committed $10 million to provide one-off establishment, administration and capacity-building funding for LACHS. 

"to enable Aboriginal people to be decision makers in relation to activities that may impact their cultural heritage". You're in strife if your great-great grandfather shot at an Aborigine nicking a sheep. That incident will have been kept alive by the local's verbal history.

Very interesting example of semantics in the use of the plural at the start of this sentence "Aboriginal cultures are some of the oldest living cultures in the world." Aren't we supposed to believe that there is only one Aboriginal culture?

• Like 1