Australian Literature

old man emu

Who else lift's the heavy load if the ' old man ' isn't there .

As for no ' jury duty ' I didn't know & I didn't miss , not not getting it .

GOOD ! , NOW TO GET OFF THE  COPULSARY ,

' electoral roll ' .

As for that 70 years, add ten , and go back to FOUR , English , score years .

I,m only FOUR SCORE ! & it sounds better than eighty !.

spacesailor

• Haha 1

Some Jobs are excluded. I've never done Jury duty.   I have been asked to appear as a witness for the Prosecution and the judge commented I was the only RELIABLE witness there. All my costs were covered. A rare case of something nice happening and justice being done.   nev

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

I was just behind a Holden HR waggon driven by an old couple going very slow that had a head on with another  car full of inebriated people This happened about 2200 hrs. I got the oldies out through the missing windscreen. The other car had lost the RH front wheel and some of the suspension which had gone under my car and removed the throttle linkage. The long and the short of it is I went back next day and measured the gouge marks in the road surface. Must be my sixth sense again. When it came to Court the cops hadn't done anything like that  or do any checking and this guy turned up with a top lawyer alleging the HR was on the wrong side of the road at point of impact and had caused the accident and they nearly got away with it. The local Constable( who I knew) had approached me when he saw my name on the report. There were no assumptions made or anything asked for  But I was the ONLY independent witness anyhow. Nev

• Like 1
  • Informative 2

• 1 month later...

Good onyer Nev. Getting back to Australian literature, I have to say that I just love the Banjo's stuff. I can recite the man from ironbark and Mulga bill's bicycle and bits of the man from snowy river.

There days I live not that far from Penola and where the poet Nielsen came from, but I don't reckon he was as good.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

3 hours ago, facthunter said:

Advertising on the Plane itself was not permitted at least at some periods of tjme. Here in Oz.

The Civil Aviation Branch of the Department of Defence was promulgated on 16 December 1920 and became operational on 28 March 1921. Can you imagine the effort involved in setting up a government department from scratch while at the same time trying to figure out what advice to give to parliament as it was framing the Air Navigation Act, which was passed on 2 December 1920 and became law in June 1921.

So when Arthur was advertising HEENZO from the air in 1931, the Branch was still struggling with all sorts of administrative matters, so a lone plane flying around country NSW displaying the name of an already popular product would hardly have been on the top of its hit list.

• Informative 1

Australian aviation history has for too long focused on the early, celebrity, distance record setters, and not on the people who toiled away on home ground to establish civil aviation. That does also include those responsible for government administration of civil aviation from 1920  to 1940. Often those people gained their  aviation experience in the skies above the Western Front or Middle Eastern desert.

How many know that as soon as it began to function under the Air Navigation Act in June 1921, the Government decided to establish air mail services operated by contractors between

1. Geraldton & Derby
  2. Adelaide & Sydney
  3. Sydney & Brisbane
  4. Charleville and Cloncurry

Have a look at those routes and you'll see they were the means by which several well-known companies got their start. For my part, I know that Arthur Butler got his start as a ground engineer located at Hay on the Adelaide to Sydney route. Charleville to Cloncurry spawned QANTAS, and was it Miller who did the Geraldton to Derby service? It would appear that the Sydney to Melbourne route was well-established by the rail system, as well as being relatively close together with little advantage in using aircraft to cut delivery times. In fact Arthur Butler's book Flying Start - The story of the first five decades of Civil Aviation in Australia has a photograph taken from a DH 50 mailplane unable to overtake the South-West mail train headed for Narrandera because the headwind made the aircraft's groundspeed match the train's. 

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Mac Robertson-Miller was the WA Airline (I think) in my early days but most of these got taken Over by Ansett. East West Airlines featured in NSW. Ansett ran the Sydney Lord Howe Island run  Qantas ran internal PNG routes with Junkers monoplanes and both TAA and Ansett had "Royal Mail" signs near the front door of their planes Post war. . Eddie Connellans route coverage equalled that of BEA. (British European Airways) operating in the NT mostly.  Nev.

• Like 1
  • Informative 2

4 hours ago, onetrack said:

In 1929, the German Consul to W.A., Hermann Christian Ittershagen, imported a German-built Klemm L25-1 monoplane for his business activities. Ittershagen was the Lanz tractor agent…

I have a full-colour Lanz sign, about 400 square, made from sheet metal.

Big single-cylinder engine with a ruddy great belt-drive pully hanging out the side.

• Like 1

The old Lanz Bulldogs with their hot-bulb, 2 stroke, single cylinder horizontal engine, were a very popular tractor here, they have a big following amongst the vintage tractor restorers.

The comical part about them is pulling the steering wheel and steering shaft out, to hook into the flywheel to start them. They would often bog themselves in soft ground with shaking, if left idling too long in the one spot.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

13 hours ago, onetrack said:

The old Lanz Bulldogs with their hot-bulb, 2 stroke, single cylinder horizontal engine, were a very popular tractor here, they have a big following amongst the vintage tractor restorers.

The comical part about them is pulling the steering wheel and steering shaft out, to hook into the flywheel to start them. They would often bog themselves in soft ground with shaking, if left idling too long in the one spot.

image.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2