Why is the Herald so nasty to Clarkson and Albanese?

Bruce Tuncks

Well I am less connected with Hawthorne than even Jerry. I started "supporting" them when they were down and nearly out, on account of liking Dermot Brereton even though he was getting old and nasty. For awhile, I was the only supporter I knew, although there were some others that shook their brown and yellow flags from behind the goals. When they started winning again, all sorts of people came out of the woodwork including the Premier, Jeff Kennet.

Well I reckon they were always there, well some of them anyway, and I apologise to Jerry if he thought I was doubting his sincerity.

Yep, footy is a bit of a religion in Vic and surely a coach would be a believer?  Of course he would and who could blame him?

And why would you expect a footy coach to be a woke sissy?

• Informative 1

Bruce - I have been there through thick and thin. A few weeks before I emigrated to the UK for the first time, I was at the Camberwell town hall for Hawks members to discuss the proposed merger with Melbourne. That was an electric meeting to say the least. Once the proposal was rejected, Ian Dickert, the then president, set up a donation drive and asked every member/member family to donate, I think it was $500. I donated $1,000. I kept my full membership for a few years, during the Schwab coaching era, where we were arguably at our lowest in what I can remember in my lifetime. I donated the ticket to my brother, who is a Richmond supporter, but did make use of it. On returning to Melbourne in 2003, I contemplated joining the Conferers, but at $10K per year, it was too much for my parter's stomach to bear.

As a side note, my mother, has no interest in sport, and less in Aussie rules (she is from Birssie). Who did she sit next to on a flight to Melbourne from London - Nick Holland; a Hawks Half Forward flankker at the time!

Edited by Jerry_Atrick
  • Like 1
  • Informative 1

1 hour ago, Old Koreelah said:

Not being a Mexican, I know little of that bouncy-ball game.

Same here. To my eyes, it looks like mayhem; maybe I should learn the rules of the game one day. One thing I'm curious about, is there anything like set, practiced plays in the game? To me it looks like ad hoc opportunity taking; a bit of a free-for-all scramble. With League (and Gridiron) I can see structure and set plays, but not knowing the rules, I can't see that in AFL.