Jerry's renovation blog

nomadpete

2 hours ago, onetrack said:

That's the dreariest-looking Northern Hemisphere Winter landscape I've viewed in a while. Was that early morning, or late afternoon?

That looks like English summer. I've heard it can occur any time of the year and sometimes lasts a whole day.

• Haha 1

I think it is made with sharp bits to discourage the evil spirits from settling on your roof. Seems the christians weren't  trusting their own alpha spirit toprotect them.

56 minutes ago, old man emu said:

Too bad it's not the same pattern on both rooves.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, nomadpete said:

Aaah we have been pining for an update. What with your busy schedule of dogwalks to the pub, and frequent mention of your mates Mr Penfold and Wolfie, I feared the worst for the renovations.

Thanks for the pictures. Really nice view from the rooftop. Its simply begging for a cape cod addition - so you can take advantage of the sweeping views!

It does proceed at glacial place while there are other distractions, and work, yes.. But hopefully will pic up speed shortly.

10 hours ago, facthunter said:

Get a "MACK" truck. There's a dog on the front and it has a lot of PULL.  Nev

Don't need the truck... That little scamp pulls much better,,,

9 hours ago, facthunter said:

Pretty steep roof Pitch. Where's the scaffolding?.   Nev

Yes,,, there is scaffolding to the guttering and then the builder has a couple of platforms, but decided he wanted roof ladders beyond that...  The scaffolding is costing me as much  the actual building works.

8 hours ago, onetrack said:

That's the dreariest-looking Northern Hemisphere Winter landscape I've viewed in a while. Was that early morning, or late afternoon?

Almost, but not quite. Since then, we have had some glorious, but cold sunny days. This winter has been a more dreary one, though.

5 hours ago, old man emu said:

Too bad it's not the same pattern on both rooves.

I know. I am not sure why, but as it is a listed buiding, for us to switch one set to the other would entail a whole new round of planning and listed building consent applications, and to be honest, I am over that. So, as the roof looked like it had missing teeth and it was likely the original change was because it was applied before listing and they were the cheapest at the time, we decided on the repair of like for like.. At least now (well, but the end of the week), it will no longer look like it has missing teeth.

3 hours ago, facthunter said:

It's Historical not hysterical,  and has "character' in spades.  Nev

Nope, it's hysterical that, apart from the roof ridge and an old back door, there is very little character. All was stripped out and sold by the previous owner who couldn't afford to keep the house.. and trust me, even without the building work, the sticker moves from "Poverty is owning a horse" to "Poverty is owning an old listed building".  We have friends of ours who lived in the same street in London do a similar thing. The difference is he is minted and even he feels like he is being crushed under the cost of renovating his one.

• Informative 3

OK.. best intentions, but distractionsd meant that the vids I took a year ago ae finally being posted - unedited!  The GoPro software is naff - and it doesn't want to connect to the Windows computer come love nor money) So, I have just posted them to YT. There is still more to take, and if I get the time, I will take some more.

Note, some things have changed, such as the roof of the shed has been repoaired, the greenhouse has been repaired, the two apple trees have been chopped down, you have seen photos of the inside where the dud plaster has been scraped off (still some to go); The front render which looks good has been replaced as it was concrete rather than lime based. Also, inside, the walls in the formal living and dining room have had their wallpaper removed. And of course, the heating has been replaced, but some rads to go.

• Informative 1

• 1 month later...

The new heating oil tank arrived today to replace the one that failed just after we spent a gawd awful amount of money fixing the heating, leaving us now almost 4 weeks without heating and it has been effing cold in the mornings until the wood fired stoves warm up (I am actually a pyrophobe on account of my leg going up in flames as a kid, so have to wait for the partner to light the things).

Hopefully the plumber gives us a date to install the rest of the plumbing and fit bathrooms today or Monday, and it should be done within the month. Sparky lined up to change the switch boards, and install the latest RCDs or whatever they are these days.

I have a sneaking suspicion, we may be going to South Yorksire at the last minute this weekend; if not definitely next weekend. The kitchen company we are using is based there and we want to see and touch the kitchens before ordering (our frends bought a kitchen off them - very reasonable, but high quality finish - much better than others in their price bracket).

The study (in the vid above) is stripped. We are going to plug holes in the floor (or is that flaw) with offcuts this week. The flooring company has kindly donated some to us) and the flooring company and will be providing the carpet for the study. Having said that, SWMBO may well decide she wants hardwood flooring.

Things will hopefully start moving fairly quickly soon...

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

12 hours ago, Jerry_Atrick said:

One task at a time.. Schedule them realistically (taking into account dependencies).. Never look at them all at once... pray (or become prey).

I take it you have your gantt chart prepared.

• Informative 1

The chart is named after Henry Gantt (1861–1919), who designed his chart around the years 1910–1915. Gantt originally created his tool for systematic, routine operations. He designed this visualization tool to more easily measure productivity levels of employees and gauge which employees were under- or over-performing. 

In other words it was designed as a tool to oppress workers!!!

• Informative 1

One of Many. Time and Motion experts. Same as a speeded up assembly Line. Just give the workers a productivity bonus and they won't want to carry the lazy ones.  Have a suggestion box. If one is used pay the individual a bonus  that everyone knows about..Nev

• Informative 1

My suggestion applies to a permanent  wage workforce and morale in an ongoing sense. Jerry is employing Contractors short term under what arrangement they agree on, some times "as amended" for changed circumstances. (i assume).   Nev

• Like 1

Around 1986/7 I was responsible for maintaining a dependency flowchart, similar to Gantt charts, to monitor the integration of systems between the Commercial Bank of AustraliaLtd (Burroughs, COBOL based) and BNSW (IBM, PL/1). I can't remember the name of it, nor the bureau system it ran on. Both were English, and the guy supervising the process was English. This was in Melbourne. The dependency chart was printed out on a large plotter. The Systems Development Manager, Sydney based, would fly down each week, check the chart, and reassign resources as necessary to ensure efficient progress. This all led to the creation of Westpac.

• Informative 1

The beauty of using a Gantt chart for planning and supervision is that if something stalls one process, resources can be redirected to other parallel processes that are not dependent on the stalled process. That will result in a bottleneck later on if the stalled process is not reinvigorated and can catch up for lost time.

• Informative 1

1 hour ago, old man emu said:

The beauty of using a Gantt chart for planning and supervision is that if something stalls one process, resources can be redirected to other parallel processes that are not dependent on the stalled process. That will result in a bottleneck later on if the stalled process is not reinvigorated and can catch up for lost time.

I think I'd better order half a dozen of these Gantt charts if I'm ever going to finish building this doorway in my shed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1