Rec Flying has been hacked again in a big way ....

onetrack

I went to open the Rec Flying page and got a popup saying "Hacked by Ya Joon". Clicking that popup off produces a new popup saying, "Again hacked. You cant stop this, ask IPBoard staff to patch this sh*t 0day if you can".

Then the webpage changes to a scene with a dancing-cat shape whirling across a screen with a young Asian bloke talking from what appears to be a screen, with the caption, ""You still talk BS don't you?" 

This clown is a real PIA and intent on some destructive work. I hope Ian can get a handle on this and stop his exploits.

Yep.. Definitely hacked.. A server rebuild coming on, I think..

R-Soles!

I have a static web site. I have set i to freeze logging onto the site after 1 failed attempt, and I still get about 300 failed attempts a day (it inly locks logins for the user Ids that were attempted).

• Informative 1

Congratulations to Ya Joon for the application of digital technology in order to bring a group spread all over the World to come together with one voice.

Recreational Flying dotcom is rewarding your efforts with an all-expenses paid water-skiing adventure holiday in the glorious tourist mecca of Spencers Gulf.

• Like 1

Once I was the target of a scammer who pretended to be me at a hotel in Ireland. I said to the bank to not pay, but they said it was their police to pay and then refund me. I figured out that they thought they would lose more money by refusing to pay out... I can imagine  people refusing to accept visa cards for example.

Another time, I really thought I got a paypal message to say that they were suspicious of a Ballarat visa purchase and they would refuse to pay if it was not me.

This turned out to be a phishing thing which I was slow to realize. The scammers actually used a genuine paypal screen, and the whole thing cost me a trip to the bank to change my cards. 

Years ago, I saw an interview with a Commonwealth cop who said that most scams originated from overseas,  beyond their jurisdiction. They had tried in vain to get Australian banks to implement more security for overseas transactions.

• Like 1

The only time I've been scammed was when an American manufacturing business made a windscreen frame for me, for my '32 Chev. They were really backward in their payment systems and asked me to send them the CC details in an email.

I was really reluctant to do so, as banks warn you not to send CC details in emails as it's the most insecure internet contact you can get. So I ended up sending them the CC details in 2 emails, hoping to prevent any scammers from finding them.

No such luck - the company promptly got their emails hacked and a couple of weeks later I noticed a couple of unauthorised transactions on that CC - carried out from a location in Western Sydney - of course!

I called the bank and cancelled the card and got a new one, and I never had any problems again.

One of the main problems with CC fraud is, the card companies don't really care about trying to stop it or catch the perpetrators. They carry on about how much money and effort they put into stopping CC fraud - but really, it's a token effort.

They find it easier to just lumber the rest of us with increased charges to cover the losses from fraud - the same as Bunnings and Coles charge us a lot more more for small items, to cover their store theft levels.

The card companies never give out the exact percentage level of fraud losses (% of turnover), only giving numbers of fraud offences - but the total amount involved in CC fraud is staggering, around US$56B in the U.S. alone, according to the 2022  CC fraud reports.

CC fraud jumped by 72% from 2018 to 2019 and jumped another 45% from 2019 to 2020. It declined a little (-1%) in 2021, mostly because the scammers turned to the easier money in defrauding Govt handouts during the pandemic.

Interestingly, the fraud report says the majority of CC fraud today is crims creating new CC accounts using what they call "synthetic account fraud".

The crims construct a new ID using part of your true ID - such as using your correct name with a false address, plus a false MDL or passport number - which they then use to open a new CC account.

They then max out the card rapidly, then abandon the account. Computerised applications for accounts must be responsible for a lot of this fraud, as no-one physically cross-checks the data.

The crims work out what the computerised application programme doesn't check, and then it becomes easy to start a new fraudulent account.

It's obvious CC companies and banks don't put much effort into stopping the creation of new fraudulent accounts, thus the high success rate of scammers in very quickly spiriting the stolen funds from scams, away to a foreign location.

• Informative 1