The Best Single Man's Retirement Property

Jerry_Atrick

4 hours ago, Yenn said:

If I was building now I would go for a composting toilet.

Thanks for posting that, Yenn. As you know, we want to build toilet facilities at Tooraweenah Aerodrome, and I was wondering how we would deal with the effluent. I did a quick Google for composting toilets and fount this:

https://www.waternsw.com.au/water-quality/catchment/living/wastewater/systems/composting-toilets Apart from being an answer, they are promoted by  a government agency WaterNSW is a State-Owned Corporation established under the Water NSW Act 2014 

• Informative 1

Friends who built on a nearby hilltop installed a water-free toilet. https://clivusmultrum.com.au

Decades later they’re happy with it. Saves mobs of water. I know of two households which flush with scarce rainwater because the lady is too houseproud to use slightly coloured dam water for that purpose. They both run out of water early in droughts and have to top up from tankers.

• Informative 2

We were looking at a composting toilet for our shed which is below the level of the septic.  From what I could make out they charge you $1100 for a fancy fibreglass bin with a small fan and a bit of geofab, then you have to go bury the nuggets anyway when it fills up.

I went the other way and bought a macerating pump.  Normal toilet with a P trap goes into it, and it has a pressure switch to turn on the cutting blades when the shit hits the fan, literally.  Then it pushes the slurry through normal ag pipe up to 9m high / 70m long, so it can get to the existing septic.

Haven't installed it yet so I can't tell you how well it works - if the distance/height combo is too much I'll pump it halfway to a bin in the ground, then have another one in there with a float switch to send it up the line.

We don't have any water issues (at the moment) fortunately, despite being on tank water - on the rare occasion that rain doesn't keep the tanks going then we have a creek running through the property which hasn't dried up in living memory.

• Informative 1

-This is somewhere in Western Sydney  (pulled from the Guardian here: https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2021/nov/16/ultimately-uninhabitable-western-sydneys-legacy-of-planning-failure, of which none would qualify as a single man's retirement property:

image.thumb.png.c3d23fceb1313ea82c45c18cc609de5c.png

Can you imagine a change in rules to save water that required composting toilets in urban developments?

• Informative 1

3 hours ago, Jerry_Atrick said:

This is somewhere in Western Sydney 

That is a typical photo of the residential development (??) in this area.

image.thumb.png.426a8fc207d992f7805084e4cc24df15.png It used to be dairy country. The referenced article uses this area for its examples. It wasn't like that when I moved there 30 years ago. I'm glad I've left it.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

No wonder we are getting floods Just look at the area in that photo above which is impervious to water. Nearly 90% of the rain that falls in that area is going straight to the drainage system and very quickly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spacesailor said:

The big problem with those  drains that go out to  Bondies "  turd" beach outflow. OR

Manly,s outflow , for the surfer community. 

They will be at the end of there capacity very shortly.

Spacesailor

The dreaded Bondi Cigar.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Yenn said:

Just look at the area in that photo above which is impervious to water.

In that map, all the rainwater falling onto the  area on the right of the M31 flows into the Georges River system, flooding Bankstown. The rest flows into the Nepean. At Warragamba it is joined by the outflow from Warragamba Dam, which holds the drainage from as far south as Goulbourn, between the Great Dividing Range and the coastal escarpment behind Wollongong. Then the Nepean gets a name change at Richmond, becoming the Hawkesbury that flows into Broken Bay. The Parramatta River doesn't have anywhere near an extensive catchment area as the other rivers, but basically all its catchment area is tar and cement.

• Informative 2