More Trivia

willedoo

I'm sorry to hear that Nev. What has happened to your hand, that it needs to be fully bandaged? I've been fortunate in never losing the use of either of my hands, although I've done a bit of damage to them at times, that restricted my hand useage for a week or two.

I had the left one done with the open surgery. It didn't go well as the wound reopened after the stitches were taken out at two weeks. In the end it was five weeks before the wound was closed properly. It probably all could have been prevented with an extra stitch or two in the first place. Took a long time, probably a couple of years to get full grip strength back.

Due to get the right one done and will pay up front to get the microsurgery after the other experience. A mate had the microsurgery and he was driving three days later. Where I live, there's only one private surgeon doing microsurgery. On the public system, the only option available here is the open surgery.

Edited by willedoo
  • Informative 1

I've  let them go too long, not of my own making, entirely. Only took 2 panadol once this time but the skin of that part of the hand takes a bit to heal and you wouldn't want to get it wet or such. Feels pretty good so far. Bandage off and assessment Wednesday. ( 2 days).. She'll be right. Nev

• Like 2

19 hours ago, facthunter said:

I've  let them go too long, not of my own making, entirely. Only took 2 panadol once this time but the skin of that part of the hand takes a bit to heal and you wouldn't want to get it wet or such. Feels pretty good so far. Bandage off and assessment Wednesday. ( 2 days).. She'll be right. Nev

Nev, one of the problems I found when it failed to heal in the two week period of stitches, was that after that, every time I moved my thumb it pulled on the wound. At week four, I strapped the thumb to the palm of the hand and put it in a sling for a week and that finally let it heal and close up.

One complication of leaving it too long before getting the operation is loss and wasting of the thumb muscle. I didn't think my muscle had any wasting, but it was masked by continually present swelling. After the op, I had no more swelling from the carpal tunnel syndrome, and was then able to see that I'd lost a small amount of muscle. Luckily not much more than what is normal for age.

It's about four years since I had the left one done. It was costing me a lot of sleep, but haven't had a problem with it since. The right one is due to get done; it probably costs me two or three hours sleep per night.

• Informative 1

The main problem I've had is trigger finger ( stenosing tenosynovitis ) where a finger is bent and snaps straight or straight and snaps to a bent position.

1618058725_triggerfinger.thumb.jpg.d8badd41e0bad23bff7076452743e8b6.jpg

Happened first on the left hand and later cured itself, now occasionally on the right hand.

The other problem I have is that my left thumb will not pull back to a full thumbs up position. The right thumb is as good as DTrumps, but my left will only go as indicated below.

1400284401_thumbsup.thumb.JPG.b28f8cf0dafc2f264d4fb38880baa604.JPG

• Informative 2

• 1 month later...

Here's a bit more trivia I learned today - the Hellenic Air Force doesn't have non pilot WSOs in their F-4 Phantoms; both front and back seaters are qualified pilots. They have about 35 Phantoms in active service, one of the few countries still flying them. In the Vietnam War, the U.S. had five aces, with only two of them being pilots. The other three were made up of two Air Force WSOs and one Navy RIO.

• Informative 1