The Cashless Society has arrived

old man emu

Try buying fuel , when those phones are out, l got caught out some years ago, & didn,t quite have enough to clear that bill.

But the cops agreed l should be let off  as l had most of the cash, and the servo hadn,t put a sign out.

SO

Keep a $100 ,just in case.

spacesailor

Exactly what we do KG.   The only exception is the I pay $50 per year for my credit card but get quite a few reward points.  We usually get a $50 Bunnings  card about 3 or 4 times a year on the rewards system.    Every Friday we do something we call the "reconciliation"  (usually said in an ominous voice.)     We can see exactly what we have spent and where we spent it. We then pay off that weeks outgoings from our credit card and so do not get hit with interest,  We keep a spreadsheet so can instantly tell how much we spent last year or week or month on petrol or food or wine etc.       I have recently started using my phone for payments and other purposes. I haven't carried a wallet for used cash for a few years now.  

• Informative 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wallet? Wotz that?

Each December I spend $25 on a special Nurse’s diary and convert it for my needs:

- Rip out all the unwanted pages 

-Sew and glue in a few plastic pockets for credit cards (metalised to guard against scammers)

-Cover it with pix of my grandies, etc

It has a large pocket for cash, etc. which is almost never used.

It sits in my shirt pocket. All up-coming events are pencilled in (and easily modified).

All past events of importance are entered in biro (there’s that ancient word again!)

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

I always keep cash on hand for those purchases where cash generates a discount. There's not too many times when waving notes around doesn't get you a better deal.

I dislike a lot of online purchases where there's no ability to offer cash to get a better deal - but there is one other advantage with online purchases of new items - you can generally do a search, and find it cheaper.

This system rarely fails - even when the seller is telling you the item is "on sale", or is a "clearance" item.

• Like 1