Old Station fly in

Yenn

I am not a member of the Old Station Flying Club now, but they are having a fly in this year.27 28 May and it looks as if they will be having the usual airshow.

Look at their website for details, but i am sure the site is not up to date. Some of the info is definitely out of date.

I will try to find out exactly what is happening as I have threatened to go and help out again even if I am no longer a member.

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

I doubt it but their web site does show a jumping castle. Hope it is not the one from Tassie that took off and has since disappeared from the media.

They will have the tractor pulls I reckon, plus sawing competitions. which i will not be entering. I couldn't compete against Ronnie and Andrew last time.

They had four logs and because there were only 3 of us competing it was agreed that because I had only a small saw, that we would each cut one log and the first to finish would cut the last log.

I beat Ronnie by about two seconds. He cut his second just after i cut my first. Does that make me the winner. It was the first time I had ever split a log into 4 and I was flat out with no idea of what was going on around me. Good fun, but hard work for an old bloke.

I know it will be cold and that there will be a bloody big fire to stand around in the evening, but the daytime will be just nice.

I do but jest Nev, don't get upset.  I wouldn't knock back a ride of a Harley if it were offered.

My point is that some of them do vibrate a bit, it would be like sitting on the washing machine during spin cycle!

Edited by Marty_d

My colleague, of ten years or so, loved Harleys. His wife put her foot down and limited him to two Harleys at any given time.

He regularly came to work with yet another story of HD disaster... Crap starter motors, bad charging system, undersized battery for the new starter motors... And so on.

Finally he admitted. He simply loved his Harleys. And he really didn't know why.

Then he humbly admitted....

" To be honest, if I have a serious trip, maybe between capital cities, I ride the Honda. Over a Hundred thousand k's the Gold Wing has only had one maintainance requirement over and beyond periodic oil and filters.... The dial light in the instrament cluster failed. I can always count on it and it's so much more comfortable on long trips."

Go figure.

• Like 1

I've never ridden a modern Harley, but my guess is that any vibration would be better than that of some older British twins. I had a Norton Commando with the isolastic suspension which was good. One day I went for a ride on a friend's Norton SS and while the handling of the featherbed frame was a luxury, the vibration that came up through the seat around the 60mph mark was annoying. Right at the legal speed limit the vibration was.

• Like 1

Nothin to do with the Old Station fly in, which I hope works out great...

But

My only temptation by HD was the offer of a 1942 WLA built from disposals bits. At $450 I knocked it back. My Yamaha 125 had better brakes, suspension and acceleration. The HD would have been a good investment financially but I if I had bought it, I probably wouldn't be alive now to appreciate that. Remember that apart from dismal handling and brakes, the HD required a rear tyre that was at the time NLA. Riders used a crossply 5.00x16 square profile car tyre on the back. And the marginal front suspension and nil rear suspension! 20mph was fast when they were designed.

Financially, a couple in the back shed would have helped my superannuation, so long as I didn't try to ride them!

• Agree 2

21 hours ago, nomadpete said:

The HD would have been a good investment financially

Mine is. It increases in value every year. You have to accept that it only has 25 HP and likes to cruise at 80 Kph. I suppose I can coax 100 Kph out of it, but I ask myself "Why do 100 Ks?" It's not like I'm an Uber food delivery guy. At least it is simple to work on, and parts are readily available.

I'd like to have a go on a more modern HD, but I just don't like the look of them and the wretched noise they make.

• Like 2

I recall with my VFR750 getting it up to 140mph on the M1 (testosterone injectors in the helmet, I guess).. It was an adrenaline rush, no doubt, but I remembered I have a couple of kids.. and to be honest the thought of the pain after hitting the road and, should I survive, the long road of rehabilitation forced me to ease off the throttle.. There's a lot to be said about cruising on a motorcycle at slower speeds and having the time to enjoy all the sensations and sights that come with it.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Jerry_Atrick said:

I recall with my VFR750 getting it up to 140mph on the M1 (testosterone injectors in the helmet, I guess).. It was an adrenaline rush, no doubt, but I remembered I have a couple of kids.. and to be honest the thought of the pain after hitting the road and, should I survive, the long road of rehabilitation forced me to ease off the throttle.. There's a lot to be said about cruising on a motorcycle at slower speeds and having the time to enjoy all the sensations and sights that come with it.

I've had a couple of VFR's and loved them.  Absolutely nothing ever went wrong mechanically.  When I was young and stupid (I'm no longer young) I sometimes wound it out to over 200kph.  On one occasion I couldn't tell you how fast I was going, the speedo hit the end of the dial at 240.  But I agree they're not really a cruising bike - at the speed limit on most roads (100) it was a bit fast to sit in 5th gear but a bit slow for 6th.

• Agree 1

I had an '86 as well.. Red with white wheels. [edit] And I forgot.. rusted on downpipes they became famous for [/edit]. Loved it, but, sadly, it had to go as during a MOT (RWC) inspection, they founf an extra weld in the chassis that shouldn't have been there, and a bit of a bend, too...

Looking for one at the moment.. Same year...

Edited by Jerry_Atrick
  • Like 1