red750 Posted July 22 Posted July 22 Here's how the 10 or so posts commenced. Note: they have beeen deleted. Hello Dear . How are you doing today? I would love us to be good friends , 1
Marty_d Posted July 23 Posted July 23 5 hours ago, nomadpete said: I missed out Now I feel neglected. What am I doing wrong? They feel that a man of your keen intellect would not be easily scammed, so why bother. 1 1
willedoo Posted September 9 Posted September 9 I did some Googling and learnt a handy trick for potential scam calls. In the search bar, you type the number in and at the top of results is a website called reverseaustralia.com. It has a forum like format where people post their experiences of receiving a call from that number. I've got to the stage where I don't answer calls from numbers not in my contact list. I figure if they're genuine, they'll leave a message in messagebank and I can ring them back. Unusually, the call today did leave a message. When I dialed 101 to retrieve the message it was an AI generated female American accent voice pretending to be from the Red Energy who I recently switched to as a power retailer. One of the commnts on the reverse call lookup website said the same thing except they said they were from AGL.
willedoo Posted September 9 Posted September 9 I guess they have some type of spoof software that makes the calling number look like a local number.
facthunter Posted September 9 Posted September 9 They have a random selection process where there is a delay in speaking for a few seconds and a tell tale "Fweep" noise happens ahead of the talking. I just hang up immediately. Never say YES. They can connect that to anything they make up. . Nev
old man emu Posted September 9 Author Posted September 9 My rule: No caller ID, no pick up. It's inconvenient if it's a genuine call and the caller doesn't leave a message, but I think people are begining to adopt the practice of leaving a message if they have not been answered. Another idea I have is to text the person I want to call to let them know that they are going to get a phone call from me. Haven't used that trick yet, but it's in my bag of tricks.
red750 Posted September 15 Posted September 15 Be careful. It appears that those of bad intent scan your email address book. and then pretend to be someone you know and trust to send their scam/spam emails. I have received emails purporting to be from my cousin, and now from a friend who used to live a couple of doors up from me. They say something similar to "You may remember these four photos." and give a link which is unknown. Just beware. I have run system scans just in case.
red750 Posted 3 hours ago Posted 3 hours ago Brushing scam - empty white envelope scam. https://www.facebook.com/reel/888913647281108 1
willedoo Posted 2 hours ago Posted 2 hours ago The bit about QR codes is interesting. I've never used a QR code and most likely never will.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now