Trivia

willedoo

Smith's Crisps, you Yankophile! 

Crisps with the pinch of salt in a paper twist.

Smith's Crisps were first manufactured in Australia in 1931, when an original partner in the English company, Frank Smith, moved to Australia to set up the business here. Smith's Potato Crisps sold its early crisps in three penny packets, 24 to a tin. "Twist of salt" sachets were included before pre-salting had been introduced, as they were in England.

So, we won't have anymore of your Gobbledockery.

gobbledok-1985.jpg

• Haha 1

I tried DuckDuckGo and I was appalled at how bad their search results were - so I went back to Google. I know Google is very preferential as to their search result listings (with their best clients showing up first in the results) - but Google's algorithms are so good, I have found some amazing things on the 'net, that no other search engine would find. DuckDuckGo's search results were pathetic, probably because they avoided finding anything that was remotely related to Google.

I detest Google too, with their tracking and corporate thuggery and their attitude of, "you can't talk to us, we'll talk to you on our terms, when we feel like it" - in line with most global corporation techniques - but you cannot fault Google as a search engine. I just hope they get some decent competition soon, that kicks their ar$e.

Edited by onetrack
  • Informative 1

I've never used (nor even heard of) duckduckgo... The domain name alone tells me they need to learn some things... For example, short domain names are more likely to stick in peoples heads... (yes, you can add them as a default search engine.... but...). Can you imagine someone with my typing-dyslexia getting frustrated every second time I try to use it!!

Ecosia is one I use occasionally, and it has the (claimed) benefit that it plants trees for each (income generating_) search it performs. As of the time I write this sentence, they are over 118m trees planteed (well ,committed to planting). Fair warning - I have not tried to verify their claims nor know their corporate mentality. They search engine is good-ish, but has a way to do..

About 15 years ago I was involved in a project alongside Microsoft. Their employees were required to use Bing on their work laptops. What a crock that was. Their employees assured me their algorithsm were better than Googles, but Google had the benefit of time to build up their indexing and cache databases. Well, I asked them how they knew their algorithms were better? They couldn't give me a reasonable answer (sort of emplying ex-google employees).. One of their employees (from India) swore me to secrecy but admitted he had coded some features of the Firefox browser...

The last time I used Bing, which was about a year ago, it was not great. And coupled with what appeared not only to be ad-heavy, but the non-advertised results seeming to be weighted to companies that supplied the subject matter rather than the subject matter itself, I figured their algorithms probably weighted their advertisers in the search results and haven't used it since.

Google, unf., is my go to because it does seem to understand the context in which I search... But something was scary - I, for the first time, decided to open a gmail account about 3 months ago... I used a password common to other accounts that I don't care if I get hacked or not... and it returned an error that I cannot use passwords I already use widely on the web! I don't use Chrome - ever - I didn't have an Android decvice at the time and I don't store passwords in my browser or a password store... Welcome to 1984 - except it's not the state we have to worry about!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, onetrack said:

- but you cannot fault Google as a search engine.

That's true. I've never had any joy with Bing or DuckDuckGo. I use Yandex a lot but only for Russian language searches. It doesn't stack up against Google for general use.

Back to the agricultural product, I might have to give away more clues. pm was close with peanuts. They have a shell and start with 'P'.

• Like 1

ome, you get the cigar. The U.S. is world number one pistachio producer and Iran number two. I think pistachios might have originated somewhere in the Middle East.

The other one is a particular type of medical research where Iran is second to the U.S..

Pistachio is a desert plant and is highly tolerant of saline soil. It has been reported to grow well when irrigated with water having 3,000–4,000 ppm of soluble salts. Pistachio trees are fairly hardy in the right conditions and can survive temperatures ranging between −10 °C (14 °F) in winter and 48 °C (118 °F) in summer. They need a sunny position and well-drained soil.

Now there's a plant that could easily be grown on the land that has been affected by salinity through irrigation in the Murrumbidgee Irrigation area. 

• Informative 1

On 20/01/2021 at 11:25 PM, Jerry_Atrick said:

Genetic Engineering, and medical research?

Jerry, that's getting warm, but not genetic engineering. It's a relatively new research field that has a lot of future potential and has been trialed for a variety of human ailments. Like genetic engineering, it's also very controversial.