Points, pedants and pr-cks

tillmanr

This forum I believe is to exchange information between people involved with flying. It has degenerated in many instances to a petty nit-picking,point scoring tedium. So what if someone has mis-spelled a word or hasn't correctly identified an aircraft. Get a life.

Contribute to improve our knowledge base or go find a paper aircraft site befitting your efforts.

Pointless regurgitation of unproven so called statistics or observations helps no one.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This forum I believe is to exchange information between people involved with flying. It has degenerated in many instances to a petty nit-picking,point scoring tedium. So what if someone has mis-spelled a word or hasn't correctly identified an aircraft. Get a life.Contribute to improve our knowledge base or go find a paper aircraft site befitting your efforts.

Pointless regurgitation of unproven so called statistics or observations helps no one.

Totally Agree. Gets to the point where you can't even ask a question without some smart**** saying ignore him he should read more. I thought forums were places for people to share information, this seems to be more a place for snobs and egomaniacs to convince the mere plebs how bloody good they are. The bonus is there are some decent folk on here.

Cheers Geoff13

It IS a bit intimidating at times. One should not be put off expressing a view, however. IF you haven't read previous posts on a thread don't expect to get away with that. Nothing is something simply because someone says it is . Be prepared to come up with some evidence. We do get some trolls, but they go after a while. I don't know a better site though. Nev

Totally Agree. Gets to the point where you can't even ask a question without some smart**** saying ignore him he should read more. I thought forums were places for people to share information, this seems to be more a place for snobs and egomaniacs to convince the mere plebs how bloody good they are. The bonus is there are some decent folk on here.Cheers Geoff13

In fact, there are many decent people on this forum. We can't allow a few to put of the majority.

It IS a bit intimidating at times. One should not be put off expressing a view, however. IF you haven't read previous posts on a thread don't expect to get away with that. Nothing is something simply because someone says it is . Be prepared to come up with some evidence. We do get some trolls, but they go after a while. I don't know a better site though. Nev

I don't know a better site either. In fact, some of the North American based forum sites are so snobbish that, unless you're an aeronautical engineer with a degree from Embry-Riddle university, you are denigrated as scum.

I think we should be thankful for Ian's and Corinne's generosity that keeps this site going. ALSO, for many people who have worthwhile things to share from which we can all learn.

This forum I believe is to exchange information between people involved with flying.

I want to mention how generous it is of you to use up your monthly post to share that with us and I'm waiting with excitement and anticipation for what will be revealed in your January post.

Your missing the positives.

your spelling and grammer may improve, You always get a free proof reader and if you miss identify a certain plane there will always be someone to point out your mistake Trust me , just look at last post spacer.png

Love YA BEX

I believe it is the industry we are in. Recreational aviation is cheap enough that allows people from all walks of life to get involved. But you add to that it is very much an alpha male activity compared to needle craft. You also then add the 3rd dimension of keyboard courage hidden behind anonymity. A huge recipe for disaster which is why moderation on the site is so extremely hard and it will always be wrong to a lot of people but we just hope it is right by the majority.

The site quit often pulls me down into depression when I open it up and I often wonder why I am doing it with such a large cost to my family and I personally including every month when I click the payment button for the hosting. However, I hang on to the belief that it is helping others and keeping them safer and in fact saving a life or two whilst also helping the industry as a whole. One just has to look at the pressure this site has applied in such events as the RAAus board restructure, the aircraft registration fiasco, the current Jabiru situation, all events that you, the users, have helped shaped the outcomes to what the majority of recreational aviators want.

I have pleaded, begged, moderated, tried so many different ways with everyone to make the site better in the sense of the topic of this thread to where it is a full time job, without pay, and without that I believe this site would have been an extra chapter in the book Lord of the Flies. But after 11 years now I have run out of methods so what we have is what we have and only one person can change it...YOU

I thought the "funny" and "optimistic" used to a serious response is as unhelpful as "unhelpful". I think one should explain WHY they think so, in that event at least as a matter of courtesy. The poster would have NO IDEA of what you intend . Perhaps we could handle, Like Dislike? Nev

I occasionally refer to the teamkitfox and matronics forums and only find helpful discussions and occasionally solutions. There is no bickering or sniping.

Ian, our community does benefit from your endeavours despite my bitching so please keep up the fight.

Maybe the unhelpful button was not such a bad thing. People could show their opposition / displeasure with a post without getting into a slanging match and with some getting lots, as the number increases causes them to rethink their behaviour (as happened at least in one case) ??

The last time the unhelpful icon was available, it was abused by certain individuals that own a particular brand of aeroplane.

I agree with you, likes tell the story, the other ratings allow snide political agendas.

Then are you saying to lose ALL the "Like" alternatives and just leave the one "Like"... if so that would certainly make the database smaller and the site a micro second faster. The software has a single "Like" function built in and the variations of the Likes system is an addon that I purchased which can be removed to just leave a single "Like"

Dunno about likes per post as a criteria. Likes to an individual comment give the poster a good indication of WHO likes your stuff. That is much more indicative of something worthwhile than just how popular you are in general PS You van still have a dislike too Ian. Again not the number WHO.. .Nev

I think the other categories are good IF they are something that can be reported on. For example I might want to search for "tips on slow flight" and sort by most number of "helpful" or "informative" ratings.

if they don't provide any utility along those lines, then I don't see any other real use for them other than to let the world know that you found something to your liking or you agreed with it or found it friendly, so on.