Any computer wizz's here?

I'm having a mixed degree of luck changing my email address in various accounts. I thought I'd successfully changed it over in Facebook, but not so. It's allowed me to add the new email address but won't let me delete the old one and they are still sending email notices to the old address. The problem is my internet plan has dynamic IPs, not static. Every time I connect I'm assigned a different IP. That makes Facebook think I'm logging in on different devices. For security reasons, they say they will only let me change the email address after I've logged in a few times on the same device, which is never going to happen.

• Informative 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm.. I am thinking of changing my email address. I have been with yahoo for years - long before gmail and others were a twinkle in their creators' eyes. I remember people suggesting I should change because gmail has released calendars (been using then in yahoo for ages), a messaging app (yep, yahoo had that, too), and many more features where gmail seemed ot be copying yahoo. It did go through a rough patch for aboput 6 months after an ownership change where it wasn't sending or receving email reliably and it did start to fall behind on the services offered - after all, they decided to become a content business and stop their search engine, which although older than Google, wasn't quite as good as Googles. They had fallen behind what Google offered.

But, I persevered as it is a faff to change primary email addresses. But now, I really am tiring of yahoo's email, because, it no longer filters spam and scams like it used to.. and it is not entirely sophisticaed email spoofing/phishing that is getting through. I have had emails from amazon.uk where if I hover over the from address field, it is clearly a naff email. Screwfix is a hardware supplier I buy a lot of stiff from and I have been receiiving scam emails from those so badly purporting to be them, that I can hardly make out it is supposed ot be from them. Yet, they appear in my inbox and not my spam box.  I like yahoo normally.. Their finance content is very good (they have an API that allows me to programatically get prices and volumes to determine my other "betting" addiction).  They no longer have all the other apps they used to, and they have even got rid of their calendar.. but their email was fine.

But, it is time to say see you later...

But, I am dreading the experience.. as @willedoo has had above. I have been searching for some utility to make it esasier even if I have to pay.. but not yet... I'll keep you posted.

• Informative 1

54 minutes ago, Jerry_Atrick said:

Hmm.. I am thinking of changing my email address. I have been with yahoo for years - long before gmail and others were a twinkle in their creators' eyes. I remember people suggesting I should change because gmail has released calendars (been using then in yahoo for ages), a messaging app (yep, yahoo had that, too), and many more features where gmail seemed ot be copying yahoo. It did go through a rough patch for aboput 6 months after an ownership change where it wasn't sending or receving email reliably and it did start to fall behind on the services offered - after all, they decided to become a content business and stop their search engine, which although older than Google, wasn't quite as good as Googles. They had fallen behind what Google offered.

But, I persevered as it is a faff to change primary email addresses. But now, I really am tiring of yahoo's email, because, it no longer filters spam and scams like it used to.. and it is not entirely sophisticaed email spoofing/phishing that is getting through. I have had emails from amazon.uk where if I hover over the from address field, it is clearly a naff email. Screwfix is a hardware supplier I buy a lot of stiff from and I have been receiiving scam emails from those so badly purporting to be them, that I can hardly make out it is supposed ot be from them. Yet, they appear in my inbox and not my spam box.  I like yahoo normally.. Their finance content is very good (they have an API that allows me to programatically get prices and volumes to determine my other "betting" addiction).  They no longer have all the other apps they used to, and they have even got rid of their calendar.. but their email was fine.

But, it is time to say see you later...

But, I am dreading the experience.. as @willedoo has had above. I have been searching for some utility to make it esasier even if I have to pay.. but not yet... I'll keep you posted.

Hi Jerry,

I have been agonising over this for years!

Very keen to hear your thoughts. I have a suspicion that it might be best to get my own domain but have no idea how to set it up nor how to maintain it.

So I  would have email address xxxx@nomad.org

Or similar.

Please keep me posted. I  still dread having to go through advising the whole bunch of businesses and agencies of the change but on the pos side, it would reduce the liklihood of identity theft!

I had my own domains for quite a few years via GoDaddy.com. They were good and cheap to start with but eventually their prices crept up which is understandable. I've only got one with them now which is parked up for possible future use or sale. The problem with domain names is all the basic ones are already taken. For example nomad.org is already taken. GoDaddy has a simple search function and also lists other similar available names.

https://www.godaddy.com/en-au

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

I started life on minicomputers, then went to Burroughs Mainframes (which at the time were better than IBM,but yanks know marketing).

I did migrate to IBM mainframes at what was then Coles Myer...

Here is the latest generation of what, IMHO, is still the existing best corproate and AI platform..

But they aren't as good as marketing as they used to be