Let's Celebrate!

old man emu

Life's not 100% Doom and Gloom. Let's celebrate the little victories.

At the beginning of Summer, I bought an el cheapo pair of thongs. I'm so happy because I got through the whole Summer without any of the straps coming out of the sole. Has to be the first time!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A small but satisfying little victory....

Last night I burnt a hazard reduction bonfire. Dragged out comfy chairs, poured some nice red, watched stars come out.

A small victory of man's domination over nature.

(Not really any more significant than avoiding a flipflop malfunction, but more pleasant)

• Like 1

If they're single plug thongs and lasted a summer, I'd call that very noteworthy. ome, I'd be calling the press; they'd probably want to do an interview.

My double pluggers wear through in the heels well before the straps pull out. Nothing noteworthy there.

I'm celebrating that I just sold a large item that I have had for sale for 12 months, and I also made a very substantial financial killing on it!

Even better, the buyer is a millionaire, and a really top bloke, and I also get the job of moving the item for him as well! Win-Win!

G-Strings (or T0-Bars) in Aus, squire...

Reminds me of a story when I first moved here.. Woolworths was still a going concern, but were mainly small deparment stores - not like Aus...

Summer of 97 and I walk into the Woolies in East Sheen, take a peek around the store but can't find any thongs.

I walk up the the checkout girl, about 16 (I was a little over 30 at the time)..

Me: "Excuse me, do you have any thongs?"

Her [a little suprised and embarressed]: "er, no sir.. we don't sell them here."

Me [a little suprised]: "Really? This is a Woolworths, isn't it?"

Her: "Yes sir.. it is"..

Me [starting to get bemused] "Well then! If Woolies doesn't sell thongs, where may I get myself a pair???"

Her [starting to blush a bit and almost whispering]: "er...that would be... at the lingerie shop, sir"

Me [flabbergasted and speaking at her as I am sure she was hitting the security button at some old pervert accosting her]: "WHAT!?! Why would I go to a lingerie shop to put something on my feet????"

Her [initially pressing hard on the security button, as not only am I perverted but obvioulsy got a few kinks... but then realising, she calms down and says]: "Oh sir! You mean flip-flops! We're all sold out!"

Me [embarressed and blushing]: "Oh... er.. thanks"

• Haha 3

Confusion reigns, google gets it mostly wrong I blame Americans they have to changethe name of things because they think different = better and everything in america is better of course

They still can't say aluminium

As you know pmc, This is a cotter pin

Z7R1FR2WFxA8SM71LLp0FiaZDxqUxCwuGOdb61h_l-dRBngUkL8ARJAVS51JpFw365iYwlAGIkovXMQzPWGvk9aGVA0

• Thanks 1

Roll pins are a pin madd from a piece of metal rolled into a tube. Split pins are made from a piece of metal, bent into a U shape. Cotter pins are as shown above.

They all have different uses and are not interchangeable.

We shouldn't make fun of the Yanks or the British for different terms for common things. It's just a matter of dialect.

The British eat iced lollies. The Yank eat icy poles. We eat ice blocks.

The British live in bed-sits. The Yanks live in apartments. We live in flats.

The British hoover. Australians vacuum. Yanks get a Mexican to do it.

pmccarthy calls it a rawl pin. Everyone else calls it a roll pin.

Them's rawl plugs

1585636704879.thumb.png.a52af4598383212b5aa01110547da6e2.png

Rawlplug is a trade name for these devices. John Joseph Rawlings, who is credited with invention of the wall plug, named his product Rawlplug, using the first syllable of his last name, and renamed his business to Rawlplug in 1919.

1585636613924.png.dbf3ae559762d5d3f88c1c3851b9065f.png

• Like 1

I grew up with split pins being called cotter pins, and only started to use the term split pin sometime in adult life. So now I know the term was incorrect. I wonder if it had anything to do with the saturation of Yanks in Queensland during the war. I've noticed a few things over time where Queensland might have borrowed odd terms and pronunciations from the Yanks.