Telephone harassment of the scam kind

red750

Our phone has rung every five minutes for the last hour. Recorded message "Nicole from the Australian Broadband Network" advising that our landline would be cut off in two days because the NBN was available in our area. We switched to the NBN over a month ago. Calls 3, 4 and 5 I picked up but did not speak. After 5 seconds the call dropped out. On the sixth call, I answered, let the tape message run, and when told to press 1 to speak to a consultant. I pressed 1, and when the consultant came on, I said "I hope you catch coronavirus and die you rotten piece of pig sh.." The line dropped out.

That would be a change for the operator to hear. Usually it's " F Off you curry munching r sole."

They must think people are stupid to think that the NBN mob would contact anyone. The NBN mob has clearly let it be known that they have nothing to do with end of line connections or service payments. It all goes through an ISP like Telstra or Vodaphone and the like.

Did the consultant have the same Australian accent as "Nicole"?

Not saying it is the end of it and they won't call back in the future, but the five minute calls ceased. But you've got to speak to the consultant - no point talking to the recording.

If they call again, I'll call them a steaming pile of dog's vomit. I'm normally a quiet, pleasant type of person, until you get me riled.

It's like the one the other day purporting to be from Telstra, saying they had received a number of reports that we were having problems with our internet. We use another ISP but I didn't tell them that. I interrupted him and said "You are a lying scam artist." He hung up before I finished the sentence.

Play their own game to beat them.

When you answer get the human on line.................

Then,,,,,, "This The Australian Federal Police, you have been logged as part of a criminal conspiracy. We have your address, even though you routed the call. we have your unique Voice print which can and will be used in court.  We have tracked you in numerous calls as part of this conspiracy. You will be shortly be seen by your local Authorities. You are suspected of providing funding for Terrorism. please prepare to defend any charges."

It is fun to play with their minds.

Anyone who reads at all will know. As soon as you mention AFP they will fall about larfing. They're basically useless unless you happen to be a unionist, an underage female at a rock concert or anyone from the Labor party. Oh yes, they book people in the ACT for exceeding the speed limit on the countries best roads.

I realize everyone's circumstances are different but I have no problem with these kind of calls.  I have not had a landline for about 9 years now.  When my mobile rings if I don't have the number in my contacts then it goes unanswered. If the call is important they will leave a message and I will get straight back to them.  

Many years ago when my son was about 10 I think (30 now)  the phone rang and I heard my son answer it. About 15 minutes later I went to see who the call had been only to find then phone off the hook. When I asked my son who had called he told me that it had been some kind of sales call. He dealt with it by inviting them into their sales pitch at which point he very quietly placed the receiver down next to the phone and then he went back to his business, meanwhile sales guy went through the whole pitch.

My wife was for many years admin manager for an engineering company and used to receive many sales and scam calls. usually she was so busy that she would just hang up but on one occasion when things were quiet she thought she would would have a bit of fun. This call was a scam call from India, the caller told her that there was a problem with the company's computer system and that she should give him information about passwords etc. My wife whilst on the phone had a quick google and found complaints about this scam. As the caller was reading his script she began preempting his questions. Eventually she said, "look I know this is a scam, I have it here on my screen" He of course denied it was a scam. My wife was super nice to him and asked him why an intelligent sounding person would waste their time working for such a dishonest business.  Eventually he said he had to go but ended with "thank you and god bless you"   I guess that is one way of dealing with it.

My missus, daughter of a Police Superintendent, goes to work on them. "Does your mother know you're working a scam for your income?"

"Do you understand that Karma will get you, if you continue to rob people and scam them?" (Indians are very superstitious and well understand Karma).

"How can you live with yourself, knowing that you are robbing and scamming honest innocent people with your calls?"

And so on ....

I tell her she's wasting her time, most are probably working under some kind of duress, trying to pay off debts incurred, or even being threatened with injury if they don't do the calls.

Most hang up on her, a few continue to try to convince her they are genuine, and would never rob anybody.

I tell her, these poor buggers are probably doing this for a couple of dollars a day to try and survive against the vicious, endless poverty in India.

But she's convinced that everyone knows right from wrong, and she's just trying to prick their collective consciences. I reckon she needs to understand there's a lot of people out there with no conscience.

The time-wasting response is the best response to these people. Lead them on, waste their time, they're not calling others while you tie them up with wasted effort.

It's amazing that these calls work well enough to keep them at it. Years ago, I got a recorded message from John Howard before an election. Gosh, this will cost them big time, thought I...  anybody who gets this will now vote against Howard's party.

In fact, although they lost that election, the swing was less in the electorates they did that test.

The amount of gullible people is endless as P.T. Barnum attested. The scam haul is still something like $900,000 a DAY, just from Australians.

I saw where one bloke had lost $3M, he just kept giving the scammers money, convinced he would finally get a good return - even though family and friends warned him constantly he was being scammed.

These operators have studied human nature, they understand how so many people are gullible, and what works on them.

Key words - "urgent" - greed, easy wealth, low-priced, highly attractive items (Suzuki Hayabusa scam was a favourite about 15 yrs ago) - all work like magic on the gullible and the wealthy fools.

The phone scammers work on peoples worries about being disconnected from important networks - tax threats are another one that works on many people, because everyone avoids a bit of tax.

The FBI are relentless on tracking these bastards down, and they have been successful in nailing some big scam operators.

I remember a story about one unlucky credit card scammer doing cold calling, and he was dead unlucky in that he accidentally called an FBI expert in CC crime! The FBI bloke hunted him down and nailed him.

• 2 weeks later...

WARNING. Mobile phone scams on the rise again. My daughter received half a dozen calls in an hour from Nicaragua, but they could have come from anywhere. The scam is that they ring your mobile and hang up after one ring, leaving a missed call number. If you call back, you may get hold music or someone who doesn't speak English. The call is on Premium Call rates, and you are racking up a bill, which finds its way back to them. ACCC reports Australians have lost over $48,000 to this scam. The same scam comes from the non-existent number 03 7000 0000.

If you wish to confirm this, Google "Phone scam Cuba" or "Phone scam 03 7000 0000". The last one should be obvious, there is no exchange no. 03 7000. Just be aware of any missed calls. If you are unsure, Google the phone number. There is a website named Should I Call which will advise if this is a scam.

These scams are using 03 numbers. As a result, I will not answer any call from an 03 number. If someone in Victoria wants to contact me, they have to text me first to identify themselves.

And what is Telstra doing about it? Sweet F A. Oh, they have an Unwelcome Calls Centre https://www.telstra.com.au/consumer-advice/unwelcome-calls/contact-us but don't seem to want to do much except placate the victim with empty promises. Notice that their help includes changing your phone number. What a crock! The scammers are using dialing programs that dial phone numbers at random and if the call is answered, the program records the called number as being active. Then the list of active numbers is sold the the scamming population. Call identification on the victim's phone usually starts with 03. Why can't Telstra close that number down. They'll do it pretty quickly if you haven't paid your phone bill.

We both simply do not answer any call with a number that is not in our contacts list.  Obviously this means rejecting some genuine calls.   As an example we have recently made a big change to our super arrangements. Yesterday my wifes phone rang, the number was not in our contacts list. This call was from the super fund so therefore a call that was important to us.   After the call was rejected she got a voice message asking her to call back the super fund. She then saved that number in her contact list and called back.

Another thing we do when we have the time is to type the number into google which will tell you if there have been complaints against that number and why.   If there are complaints about it being a sales call or a scam we immediately block that number.

Yep it is a little bit of effort but it works well.   Sales and scam calls don't even make my list of gripes and it gives me a good feeling  knowing that I am not at the mercy of these people, I am in control.

My daughter blocked the Nicaragua number and they called again on another number.

Then you have to block the new number.  These scams and sales calls only work through making contact with many thousands of people.  Whilst some are persistent and will try numerous times for a few days they soon realize that they are just wasting time that could be used on someone who will take the call.

I just let my phone go to the answer machine. I hardly ever use a mobile as they don't work well at home. What amazes me is that even if I ask people to contact me by landline, they still try to get me on mobile. Makes me wonder about the sanity of mobile phone users.

I just let my phone go to the answer machine. I hardly ever use a mobile as they don't work well at home. What amazes me is that even if I ask people to contact me by landline, they still try to get me on mobile. Makes me wonder about the sanity of mobile phone users.

For me at least it is much cheaper to ring another mobile rather than a landline

I was at CentreLink yesterday to make an application for a Care's Allowance. I was told that I could do it on-line using one of the centre's computers. Then I was asked if I had my mobile as a required code number would be sent to it.

It got me wondering how people (especially the very elderly) can function in this new Age. I remember once an woman with a few years on her scorecard coming into the Police Station to ask about proof of identiity. She had never had a driver's licence, nor a passport, not any other form of photo ID. Things have changed since then and you can get a photo identity card from the NSW government.

My wife is the same, never held a driver's licence and passport more than 50 years old, so no photo ID. Where ID is required, she has to take a copy of Centrelink pension card, bank ATM card or Medicare card, and rates notice with her name on it to the police station or other approved centre to have them certified. The bank, doctor or chemist can also certify them.