Have you ever watched captioned TV?

red750

The missus came out screaming a couple of nights ago that I had the TV too loud - I could barely hear it.

I decided I would mute the sound and try captions. OK on recorded programs, where they can prepare the captions in advance, but shocking on live programs like Sunrise, etc. I'm sure they use voice recognition software to create the captions, but the caption is often 30 sec behind the action, a lot of what is said is left out, the captions flick through before you can read them, and there are so many mistakes - some real bloopers. In addition to trying to keep up, you have to try and work out what word was substituted. It's kind of like reading some of the posts in these forums. For example, on a report about the Emmy awards, Eddie talked about "members of the cast". That was captioned as "members of the crust".  Makes watching TV a challenge.

My daughter tells me my wife is thinking of getting headphones like that for me. My audiologist called to say I'm due for a hearing retest, and I have heating aids on order since one of our cats chewed my last ones. Maybe they will help, but I still have the problem of tinnitus, which is quite loud at times.

Talking about misheard words, song lyrics are notorious for it. Many people think Alanis Morriset sings "cross-eyed bear" instead of "cross I'd bear", and Samantha Armytage said she thought Jimmy Barnes sang "Cheap wine and a three-legged goat" instead of "Cheap wine and a three day growth."

OME, don't you recall the parody of "Pardon me boy, is that the Chattanooga Choo Choo".

Here's a pic of the aids. The right one is untouched, the left one a little less so. Maybe the cat thought it was a baby mouse.

[ATTACH]50337._xfImport[/ATTACH]

111931590_hearingaids.thumb.JPG.c5180906495967684bb023210ccd1dc1.JPG

OME, don't you recall the parody of "Pardon me boy, is that the Chattanooga Choo Choo".

Here's a pic of the aids. The right one is untouched, the left one a little less so. Maybe the cat thought it was a baby mouse.

[ATTACH]3277[/ATTACH]

Peter, the cat might be deaf. When you said 'hearing aid', he might have thought you said 'your dinner's made'.

The missus came out screaming a couple of nights ago that I had the TV too loud - I could barely hear it.

I decided I would mute the sound and try captions. OK on recorded programs, where they can prepare the captions in advance, but shocking on live programs like Sunrise, etc. I'm sure they use voice recognition software to create the captions, but the caption is often 30 sec behind the action, a lot of what is said is left out, the captions flick through before you can read them, and there are so many mistakes - some real bloopers. In addition to trying to keep up, you have to try and work out what word was substituted. It's kind of like reading some of the posts in these forums. For example, on a report about the Emmy awards, Eddie talked about "members of the cast". That was captioned as "members of the crust".  Makes watching TV a challenge.

I haven't used TV captions, but I can imagine what it's like having watched a lot of subtitled foreign movies. One of the more bizarre was a Japanese movie dubbed into English with Indonesian subtitles.

With downloaded movies, I've tried adding downloaded subtitle files (.srt I think), but haven't had much success with them. Some are gibberish and others lag badly.

I notice that both the ABC and SBS have captions when they translate foreigners. They can be nearly impossible to read when they have white lettering against a light background, or black on black. Should I get seeing aids for them?

The standard of photography seems to be slipping badly lately. Prof Brian Cox had a program that was spoiled by the photographer displaying how good he was at contre jour lighting. Pity was he was useless and just stuffed up the shots.

I'm looking to buy some cordless headphones so the wife can watch TV as loud as she wants it without annoying me.

I think that what works depends on the actual TV.  Anyway, it must be a common problem, what with teenagers sharing an apartment.

Years ago, we had a nephew stay with us and we got him a headphone setup and it worked great. Then when my father-in-law came down south for an operation, he refused to use the headphones.

I'm looking to buy some cordless headphones so the wife can watch TV as loud as she wants it without annoying me.

I think that what works depends on the actual TV.  Anyway, it must be a common problem, what with teenagers sharing an apartment.

Years ago, we had a nephew stay with us and we got him a headphone setup and it worked great. Then when my father-in-law came down south for an operation, he refused to use the headphones.

I refuse to wear an Hearing-aid, always ends with an infection in one of my ears.

If the "others" would say my name, I would pay attention, instead they talk to the the windscreen in the car, &  the sink in the kitchen.

And any-were but to the person they are talking to.

AND a PS.

Next month (October) I hopefully go for that new hip!. Hip Hip hooray. 232 days of 365 wait-list.

spacesailor

I had a free hearing test recently with these results:

[ATTACH]50348._xfImport[/ATTACH] The vertical axis is decibels, or loudness of sound

Seems my hearing is good for my age, but I can't hear this sound too well unless it's loud: 

Here's a simple explanation of what you should hear at different frequencies.

http://blog.sonicbids.com/understanding-frequencies-how-to-describe-what-youre-hearing-to-your-sound-tech

image.thumb.png.a4c209956716ad72d93310885377fd54.png

Well, I put my earphones on & pressed go. Nothing !.

Are you saying I should hear a sound ?/

I can't hear cicadas either. 

Will be needing that white cane to listen to 3,500HZ. LoL.

PUT an hearing-aid in the right ear, & I THINK I can just hear a sizzling sound . (could be wrong as I also have a tick but No tock with the aid in( Cold it be my Heart, Tick Tick Tick.))

I did have a look at your link.

spacesailor

My hearing aids enable me to hear the jug boilimg water, That is just the frequency that I am deafest in. Back to deaf if the jug is on. No trouble hearing cicadas, but the experts call it tinnitus and believe me there is no magic cure for it.

Tinnitus it is said, can be fixed by "white noise"

They add it to your hearing-aid. A noise to stop a noise ?,

I've only started Tinnitus lately after 35 year's of industrial deafness, Three frequencies gone.

Every month I would develop a Migraine, (at work, when they cleaned the extrusion machine next door to me) seven years later, I cured it by being sacked for a bad back.

THAT migrain was telling me the machinery noise was too loud, & the doctors/nurses couldn't find a connection.

spacesailor

I have constant tinnitus - have for years. Three different sounds. A high pitched humming sound like you sometimes get from an electric transformer on a power pole, varying in volume from low to intrusively high. Then there is the whooshing sound like wind blowing a gale. Different sound in each ear. Don't know what caused it, I was an office worker most of my working life, so no loud noises. Headsets in a call centre for six years maybe. I attended a John Fogarty (Creedence Clearwater Revival) concert a few years back. I remember that everything sounded strange when I came out. The sound of tyres on the road was most unusual, like the road was sticky.

My audiologist called to say I'm due for another hearing test, have to arrange the appointment. My replacement hearing aid is now ready.