Have you ever watched captioned TV?

red750

I go to senior's exercise classes and wear earplugs because some of the younger instructors think that louder is better. They have early signs of hearing damage but they wouldn't listen to me.

They sometimes ask me about the earplugs and are a bit interested when I explain. But not interested enough to tone down the volume. A couple of the older instructors are better.

• 4 weeks later...

Worst I've seen yet. They were discussing dropping the Lord's Prayer from Parliament. One of the panel started reciting the prayer, and the text said - "Deliver us from measles. - - evil."

This morning, covering the protests at the mining conference, the text had - "protesters climbed the polls to erect a banner." I thought they were poles.

Space, I bet every last one of them has a mobile phone. What are the phones made of and how was it obtained? How are they charged? How did they get there? Car? Bus? Train? What are these made of? What powers them? If mining stopped, the world would grind to a halt.

Those who superglue themselves to the road? Speedhumps.

• 3 weeks later...

"AND a PS.

Next month (October) I hopefully go for that new hip!. Hip Hip hooray. 232 days of 365 wait-list.

spacesailor"

NOW

With this new hip I'm walking, I've sat on the grass, (1st time in two years), stopped taking  my pain meds,

AND

Annoying the missus. LoL

Weight is dropping off From 105 kgs. down to 96.3 kgs , in the five weeks since the operation. 

spacesailor

The wife is really on my back over not tripping,

SO

that's what she had to do, lying flat out after tripping over a step.

Frightened the life out of me. I said "are you trying to give me a heart-attack." 

Didn't go down well. LoL.

Children & grandchildren rushed over, All worried.

We had a great weekend "family reunion" at Lake Lyall Lithgow

I didn't try to sit in a kayak. (no kosies  or Mankeni, to show off my New scar. LoL

spacesailor

I am also appalled at the lack of accuracy in the subtitles of TV shows and YouTube videos.

Saw a good one recently, I was watching a Saffie Heritage Event (look up "Stars of Sandstone 2019", it's well worth it) - and every time the old steam locos let rip with "Choof-Choof-Choof", it came up in the subtitles, as "applause" ... ??

Then when the commentator goes on to say, "for ten days, people come from around the world, to immerse themselves in clouds of steam, smoke, and nostalgia" - that comes up in the subtitles as, "to immerse themselves in crowds of ski slope and Moscow".  LOL

I, too have lost around 70% of my hearing, due to big guns, loud noise, and constant industrial noise - and I'm totally dependent on hearing aids.

But the answer to the poor level of sound from most TV's, when you're deaf, is a set of Sennheiser RS-195's.

Not cheap at around $650, but the sound quality is out of this world.

Spacey, they're wireless headphones, two separate units, receiver and headset. You plug the receiver unit into the power socket and the TV, and the headset slips over the top of the receiver unit to charge the batteries.

You slip the headset off the receiver, put them on your head, switch them on with a little button on the side of one of the earpieces, adjust the volume, tone, etc, until you're happy, and you can walk around the house anywhere, and still hear the show.