EU PLANS TO TAKE OVER ENTIRE UK ARMED FORCES.

Phil Perry

where I live we can raise grass fed beef using the water that falls on the land and what is collected in dams and creeks.

The grass requires water and the cattle require water as opposed to just a crop whether it be beans or wheat or barley or whatever.   Your assertion is that do gooders make statements without knowing the facts  so what I am asking you is what are the facts. Now is your chance to educate us.   You say that you grow beef with water from dams and creeks on your property you are you saying that vegetable growers are unable to do this?   Why?

I would also have much more carbon emissions from the tilling, harvesting and transportation of the crop, plus where would the labour come from.

don't you transport your cattle to the saleyards and are they not then transported to the abattoir? 

It may be a different matter on the Darling Downs, or down South, but land here is not suited to growing crops .

Obviously certain areas are suited to different types of farming, if crops cant be grow ion the Darling Downs then fine, who is saying they should be?

If the tree huggers have their way cattle would be banned,

I think there may be a little paranoia here, yes there are people who try to convince people to switch their diet to vege but this is surely no more annoying than the bloke on TV who tries to convince me to eat lamb on Australia day but I can deal with that.

The tree huggers wouldn't even let us shoot the wild pigs.

For twenty years I owned and lived on 44 acres on the southern tableands and during that time no one stopped me from arranging for feral pigs to be culled. I am not even sure what mechanism they would use to prevent me from doing that, in fact I had it done because I was compelled to by the Rural Land Protection Board.  Someone may express displeasure because they don't believe in culling pigs but so what?  It is you right and at least when I lived on the land it was my obligation.

Notice do gooders have been elevated to tree huggers.

As soon as name calling is used instead of evidence I usually assume that the evidence may be difficult to come by. Tree hugger or redneck are just stupid stereotypes people use.  

Last time I was offered a feral pig, meat, the heavens opened & he that controls the weather, deemed that I should go without my share of pork.!

NOW that same flood plane, Has not a blade of grass on it & the dam's are below the minimum levels.

Soon we will be trucking water to the west instead of wheat. (for human consumption).

spacesailor

For twenty years I owned and lived on 44 acres on the southern tableands and during that time no one stopped me from arranging for feral pigs to be culled. I am not even sure what mechanism they would use to prevent me from doing that, in fact I had it done because I was compelled to by the Rural Land Protection Board.  Someone may express displeasure because they don't believe in culling pigs but so what?  It is you right and at least when I lived on the land it was my obligation.

Octave, unless the law has changed, it's a legal obligation under the Lands Act (in my State at least) for a landholder to control feral animals.

So when do we Get a rump of pork.

I was at Quambone cattle station nsw, many years ago, & the farm-hands & I found a couple of Large pigs (Boars).

BUT they shot them so full of holes they had to carry them to the tip, instead of the pub, to get a free meal. from their donation.

spacesailor

• 2 weeks later...

Feral animals (horses) are protected from culling by the farmer led coalition in NSW. This allows wild horses almost unfettered reign ( no pun intended) over the Kosciusko NP. Note: not tree huggers who protect a damaging scourge of introduced pests to decimate a proclaimed wilderness.

Once you interfere with nature you have to manage the result (usually with disasterous results as we never do it properly) Introduced species create absolute havok and you can't just poison your way out of everything as resistance to everything happens eventually. Nev

Were you thinking of the cane toad.

It has just about covered all of Qld and I notice the numbers of snakes and lizards are very depleted. I saw a frillneck a couple of days ago, first for about a year, they used to be fairly common. Even the green tree frog is becoming rare, but we cannot blame the cane toad for all the losses. I haven't seen a red back spider in years and they used to be very common.

Qld has the red deer as part of its coat of arms. What does that say about the state?

Rangeland meat, rain-fed, does not use resources which would otherwise be used for crops or horticulture.

Without rangeland meat, there would be a lot of famines occur. Consider most of outback Australia, the land and climate are suited to grazing but not cropping. I bet there were no vegan aborigines years ago. They could not have survived.

Here on the farm in the West Wimmera, some paddocks could be sown to crops. But there would be a terrible environmental cost to pay in turning pasture land into monoculture cropping. Thousands of small animals would die, including  the birds which greet you with a cacophany of sound every morning. Biodiversity would crash. Inputs of chemicals and fertilizers would soar.

Here's the message... be careful to differentiate between feed-lot animals fed with irrigated grain and range-land animals. And be careful even with the feed-lot animals to exclude the food that people don't eat. For example, the "corn " fed to feed-lot animals may consist of the stripped cobs, where the actual grain has been removed.