A brave man under attack.

Old Koreelah

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
Sorry, I can't read the article, it's behind a paywall. I refuse to pay subscriptions to online newspapers because todays journalism is so woeful, I don't believe it's worth paying anything to read it.

I wonder what's caused that. Just tried the article and can still read it ok. I've never come across a SMH  subscription fee ever. Could it be your browser; I'm using Firefox.

I'm using Chrome browser, I get a few free articles each month with nearly all the online newspapers, then they block you with a demand for a subscription, saying you've used up all your free articles.

I thought virtually all the online newspapers charged a subscription, now? They do so because they've lost nearly all their advertisers to Google and Facebook. I don't think they sell too many print copies today.

I guess it must depend on how much you access their service. I'd probably average reading about 50 SMH articles per month & haven't been blocked yet. Most of the Murdoch press blocks you straight up without a subscription, but that's no loss to the world. Unless you are a big fan of reading fiction.

I'm not a sporting person, and I rarely indulge in crosswords. But I detest the exceptionally poor level of journalism today. Typical examples of this are .....

1. Articles undated. You don't know whether it's a current story, or 10 yrs old.

2. Poorly written as regards providing defining information, such as the location of the event, or the events preceding the news item that have led to the news item.

3. Poor grammar, poor spelling, and poor paragraphing. Even worse, "cut and paste" journalism, where an article is just repeated word for word, from another source.

4. Poor proof reading, with sentences and paragraphs that don't make sense.

5. Pictures totally unrelated to the news event, with "standard format" photos used as "filler material". Typically, a news item about a crime event, and they supply a photo of a police car. 

6. The absolute rubbish provided in the website links. "When you see what Tiger Woods lives in now, you'll be sad". So you click on the link, and it's page after page of crap about the size and style of "stars" mansions.

6. And last but not least, the slanted news articles, reflecting the news outlets owners views, and desire to influence public opinion.

Well, they continue to sack Journos so what do "we" expect? Regurgitated rubbish. All inclined to increase the suicide rate and destroy all hope of a different (and better) future. You need to spend money to fess out the real stories and protect whistleblowers. Do you see ANY signs of that happening?.  They are virtually MURDERING ASSANGE by a slow death for daring to publish nasty BUT TRUE things about the USA . So much for the FAMED British JUSTICE and of course WE have been totally deaf on this matter. Nev

Because pretty much all governments (politicians) are afraid to have truth exposed about their dealings. And public apathy is so pervading, that public now expect politicians to lie and cheat, to do their 'job'.

They all have skeletons in their cupboards, and will go to any lengths to conceal their real activities.