Jump to content

pmccarthy

Members
  • Posts

    3,888
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    16

Everything posted by pmccarthy

  1. In a swimming pool, the P is silent.
  2. I have spent a couple of hours on the phone over four calls with the Westpac bank as they are trying to re-confirm my customer identity. I have banked with them for thirty years at least. I sent them a copy of my driver's licence and, when that was unacceptable, my passport. They say I am not McCarthy but I am Mc Carthy. The space is on my driver's licence and my passport, has always been there and had never caused a problem before. So, I sent them my birth certificate. They say that it is not necessarily me because, although it shows my father's name in full, it only gives my two Christian names, so my surname could be anything. At that point I lost my cool and now may be looking for a new bank.
  3. He was just about to launch his final book.
  4. I find it very helpful. Particularly with solving IT problems at home.
  5. Sounds like my trip to the loo this morning.
  6. He has disappeared for weeks and months a couple of times in the past, so I hope no cause for alarm.
  7. I had trouble in NZ pronouncing Manurewa. I thought I had the first part correct…
  8. Donald the Dick Tator just checking his equipment. He had a damaging leak from his administration.
  9. If you tripped over it, it was a logarithm.
  10. Back in the 1970s I use to talk to Eliza, the very first AI, to amuse my children. Here is an emulator if you want to try it today. Eliza (elizabot.js)
  11. pmccarthy

    Brain Teaser

    I’m gonna sit right down and write myself a letter.
  12. The same people who wanted to put masks on cows now want us to build AI centres. By the same people, I mean loonies.
  13. AI is a bubble that will burst within a year or so. Every person using it for free, or paying $200 a month or whatever, is being subsidised by the billions (trillions) of dollars being speculated on the investment market. All the AI companies are running huge operating losses and are not disclosing their profit and balance sheets. At some stage the true cost of infrastructure, power, water etc has to be passed on to consumers. When we have to pay $2000 or $5000 a year each for our AI subscription guess what? We will realise that we don't need it so badly. The whole thing will crash.
  14. Some states require engineers to be registered, so they need their qualifications to be recognised. Although I have worked on design/construct projects in Queensland in the past I could not do so now as I am not a Registered Professional Engineer Queensland. (not that I want to!). I the UK you can do your own house wiring.
  15. pmccarthy

    Brain Teaser

    Sunshine on my shoulders makes me happy
  16. In the last 60 years we have been told many times that the minerals industry is in decline and that some new industry is about to take over as Australia's new domestic and export industry driver. It has never happened. What happens instead is that investment in exploration and mining is discouraged and the investment returns from mining go flat until the next "boom". The main result of this has been that domestic investment is driven out, and foreign owners gradually get control of Australia's resources, because they are nimbler in reinvesting when conditions improve.
  17. pmccarthy

    Brain Teaser

    I'd like to teach the world to sing
  18. I think any car pre about 1984 is ok as they have no computer on board. My house is a greater threat as my vacuum cleaner and pool robot could rise up against us.
  19. Norco's the name for purity Nothing beats Norco brand Butter with wholesome goodness Fresh from Norco's dairy land.
  20. I hope they have the chants. I love the chants, timed to the hammers hitting the rocks.
  21. Too much mass of metal per person is every electric Toorak Tractor taking kids to school today.
  22. pmccarthy

    Brain Teaser

    Deleted
  23. I always wanted a Chev ute like that but am now too old and lazy to take one on.
×
×
  • Create New...