Equal pay for sport

Bruce

While I don't have a problem with paying females as much as men for sport, I sure do have a problem with the idea that the taxpayer should pick up the difference.

In the meantime, I reckon that if the females get as good as the guys, gate takings and TV rights, then they sure deserve equal pay. But the other side of the equation must be considered...

Why would the taxpayer pick up the difference?

The women's soccer world cup had more viewers than any other. Ever. Theoretically this means that more sponsorship will be attracted and the money will be there for them to be paid more. Whether or not the money gets to the players is a job for their sporting code, their agents, and possibly their lawyers.

Just out of interest, what's the other side of the equation?

Have a look at the hardly-used, council-owned sports grounds and in any city or town. Sport is being subsidised in that way at the grass roots.

Perhaps it's up to the governing bodies of sports associations to encourage spectators to go to female sports events. More gate takings means a bigger pot from which to ladle out financial rewards to the players who bring in the crowds.

The real reason that women get paid less is the media. If the media showed womens sport there would be more money for the women, but it doesn't get a mention, so no big pay.

I don't want to watch Australian mens cricket and there is very little womens cricket on the TV.

The whole professional sporting thing has become a huge money business. Just look at the money paid to top sportsmen and then compare it to the money paid to our military personell, or just a poor honest worker.

Marty, the other side of the equation is where the women attract smaller audiences than the men do. Then they should get less money.

But I like OME and Yenn's comments , and that is how you need to establish a level playing field before you can make decisions.

Personally, I am wanting to see naked women's wrestling as an olympic sport. I would watch it for sure.

Marty, the other side of the equation is where the women attract smaller audiences than the men do. Then they should get less money.But I like OME and Yenn's comments , and that is how you need to establish a level playing field before you can make decisions.

Personally, I am wanting to see naked women's wrestling as an olympic sport. I would watch it for sure.

Pretty sure if you googled those words you'd find something to watch. May not be Olympic standard, and don't let your wife catch you...

YES

Your right on googling it.

"The Naked Women's Wrestling League, also known as NWWL, is a defunct erotic women's professional wrestling promotion which featured naked females battling in the ring. Carmen Electra acted as hostess for the organization until 2007, when she sued the company for breach of contract. Wikipedia"

Defunct: 2009

Founded: 2004

Lots & lots of them,

[ATTACH]50161._xfImport[/ATTACH]

But

I didn't look !.

(YET)

spacesailor

wresling.thumb.jpg.662d327cc890f4b9f2c739460a557107.jpg

I watched women's football and liked it better than the mens. Well they are better-looking huh. Skimpier outfits would help.

But in tennis the women don't have as many awesome shots as the men. Apparently 15 year-old boys can beat the top women in tennis.