One Nation show their true colours

Marty_d

The pharmacist does not control what a doctor prescribes! If your doctor decides that cod liver oil will benefit you, he can put you on it.

<snip>

For a while now, there has been a push to allow supermarkets to sell prescription drugs. If that happens, medication dispensing might be made cheaper by selling through Colesworths (or similar) supermarkets, we may lose that invaluable last check before receiving our medications. Worse, still, since the business would not be owned by a pharmacist, we risk having the money making imperative (ie accountants) driving the business, rather Medically trained individuals who generally value patient benefit.

This is just my take on it.

<snip>

Supermarkets have been selling/filling prescribed medicines over here for years. Prescribed medicines are still prescribed and a qualified pharmacist dispemses them the same as they are dispensed in a pharmacy. They are usually paid for at time of being dispensed. I am not against supermarkets selling them, because the model is a convenience, not a watering dowm of how prescriptions are dispensed. I don't think there is a need for a pharmacist to own the business.. to manage the pharma side, yes they do need to ne qualified.

I understand that, Jerry.

However I personally distrust the quality of service that may occur when big business runs critical health facilities. Over the years, I've heard of too many instances where health businesses (hospitals, aged care,etc) have prioritised profitability at the expense of quality of service. They allowed pressure on employees to compromise the quality of their operations. Pressure to increase profitability always causes a reduction in quality.

That is my concern

Of course there are exceptions.

But if I was a betting man, I'd bet that a pharmacy owner who got there by spending years studying health care at uni, would be more likely to offer me better health care than a pharmacy owned by a big money making conglomerate who has a priority to maximize a financial benefit to it's shareholders.

Ah, Dr edelstein, that brings back memories.

I remember his practice at Baulkham Hills, it had pink carpets, musk leather lounges and tacky gold mirrors on the walls and gross chandeliers.

And that was the good parts.

He did however have a very hot young wife with a pink De Tomaso Pantera.

Pratlys pink pantera was the nickname.

The quality of corporatised medicine has been downhill ever since.

Ah, Dr edelstein, that brings back memories.I remember his practice at Baulkham Hills, it had pink carpets, musk leather lounges and tacky gold mirrors on the walls and gross chandeliers.

And that was the good parts.

He did however have a very hot young wife with a pink De Tomaso Pantera.

Pratlys pink pantera was the nickname.

The quality of corporatised medicine has been downhill ever since.

Is this the guy?

(Concentrate people - yes there is a guy in the photograph...)

[ATTACH]49999._xfImport[/ATTACH]

edelsten.thumb.jpg.1435a1510acfed2150852dc2d5551dd0.jpg