Subaru / Toyota

My mate Duffy. . ( Good Irish name that ) asked me if he could borrow my booster start pack this morning at the Airfield,. . .It was a fancy looking, sporty Toyota Coupe. It had been standing for five days whilst he was engaged in building his new trike hangar, whilst camping at the field.. . . I gave him the usual spiel that my Auto Electrical expert Brother gives me about 'Jump Starting' certain cars,all of which are fitted with an ECU engine management computer of some sort. . . . Brother Graham's advice is. . . . .DON'T DO IT. Get a charged battery and fit that instead. YES, . .a bloody annoyance,. . You may have to re-enter the code in your car entertainment system. . . but less hassle than having to replace the engine management system, or the Diode pack in the Starter motor. ( This has happened to several friends when trying to umbilically start from another car. . . .) There will be many Auto Tecchies on this forum who can expand or explain why this happens. . . . I have noticed over my years of abusing the hospitality of this site that Australia seems to be stuffed to the gunnels with cleverly Technical people. . . .

He accepted responsibility and I let him connect it himself. AFAIK, His car was OK.

This little car is badged up as a Toyota product. HOWEVER, it is fitted with a Non-Turbo charged SUBARU engine.

He told me a little story about this. . . . If you buy the Subaru Badged ( Identical) car. . .the Engine is the same, BUT Subaru only give a Two Year warranty on the Engine.

If the car is TOYOTA badged,. . .( don't forget. . SAME Engine ) Toyota offer a FIVE year warranty AND the car is less expensive than the Subaru model.

Hmmmm. . . I said that there must be method in the madness somewhere ?. . . I'll ask him the Model, in case a similar situation also exists in God's Own Country too. . . .

YES, . .a bloody annoyance,. . You may have to re-enter the code in your car entertainment system. . .

You can either buy or make up a slave pack quite easily to plug into cigarette lighter socket, leave ignition on whilst swapping batteries and avoid this minor inconvenience.

Speaking of Subarus, I was waiting at Box Hill Hospital at 7:00 am on Thursday morning for my son to collect me after a sleep test over night. While waiting, I watched the staff arriving. 1 Honda, 1 Suzuki, 1 Toyota, 1 Kia, 1 Holden, 2 VW, 2 Hyundai, 5 Subarus.

And as for rebadging, our Ford Festivas have compliance plates from Kia Motors, but I understand the engines Mazda. The owners manual is for Ford Festiva and Mazda 2.

One of the friends I made on the convict ship 'Ellinis' on which newlyweds Angie and I sailed to Melbourne,. . .Settled near to us in Vermont in 1970. He bought a small 4 Cyl. Subaru car, and had a problem in six and a half months from purchase ( S/H - Quoted 6 month warranty at purchase ) It needed a new head gasket. I believe that the engine was 'Wet Sleeve' cooled, and there was water getting in to one of the cylinders. He had quite a prob getting a replacement, which had to come from a dealer in Brisbane.

The Gasket was replaced and the engine immediately began to overheat. . . .Fortunately, he had carried out the replacement himself, being a qualified auto engineer in the UK He had saved the old gasket. On careful inspection of this; he found that Four perforations on the old gasket were not present in the new one, so coolant could not flow correctly around the engine. ( ? ) Gasket for a later model / Different engine ?. . . .He carefully copied the 'Holes' in the old gasket into the new one, then made sure there were no other anomalies before reassembling.

He kept the little Subaru for a further three years. I am really sorry that I can't recall the model. There was a TV advert Ditty playing in Melbourne t the time . . 'SoooBaroo- - -you're gonna hear a lot about Soo Barooo. . . .

Or as the Kiwis say, SuBARoo.

Talking of weird relationships with animals, saw on the news the other day some bloke had been arrested for improper relations with a horse.

Bad enough, but what was really strange was which end he chose. Now... I've seen a horse's teeth close up, and what they do to a carrot. He must have got a REAL thrill out of living dangerously...

Marty, I wasn't referring to weird relationships, never thought of it till you mentioned it. You have probably never watched Police Ten 7, the NZ version of Highway Patrol (Foxtel), covering speeders, red light jumpers, car accidents, etc. The narrator and others put the emphasis on the middle syllable. It took a while to work out what they were saying. (We pronounce it SU-ba-ROO).

Marty, I wasn't referring to weird relationships, never thought of it till you mentioned it. You have probably never watched Police Ten 7, the NZ version of Highway Patrol (Foxtel), covering speeders, red light jumpers, car accidents, etc. The narrator and others put the emphasis on the middle syllable. It took a while to work out what they were saying. (We pronounce it SU-ba-ROO).

Oops, my bad. Saw New Zealand and "BAR" (or "baa") in the same sentence and jumped to the usual, but in this case incorrect, conclusion!