End of DVD's

red750

Very surprised that the Blue-ray disk didn't take-off, fifty gig can easily hold a high-definition 3D movie with all the extra's they want to put on it.

It seems the 3D hasn't got a big following,

The streaming sites don't like it because of the size, so don't bother looking at "netfix or stan"

also the cheap nbn offer's, won't stream good if only 5/10mps minimum is available, have to go to second tier, 10/20mps,

optus cable is 20mps !

spacesailor

• 2 weeks later...

Shame - although it will just play into Amazon's hands, I can get it.. Vinyl almost went the way of the dodo (although it is having somewhat of a resurgance over here). Stores here still stock DVDs ans CDs but it won't be long before they revisit that idea. As long as I can buy and put the mp3 or whatever on multiple devices and "own" my copy of the content like I "own" the DVD/CD, I am happy, although, all my DVDs and CDs are still played thruogh DVD players and CD players.

We did the blue-ray and 3d thing - the novelty lasted about a week after we couldn't get most of the 3d-enabled blue-rays to work; the glasses are a pain and for most movies, 3d doesn't really add that much (I am no star wars fan, but could imagine that would be excellent in 3d).

I did notice that Graham Norton is showing LP-sized vinyls when talking to recording artists about their current releases.

I was talking to a bloke last weekend about 78 RPM records and how modern micro-groove needles cannot pick up all the nuances present in the old type steel needle styli. We figured that it would be possible to design a composite steel needle/modern electronic amplifier so that one could scour junk shops for old 78's and be able to play them on a modern electronic system. The next question is whether a digital recording made using such a pick-up would produce a sound similar to that produced by an old type player.

Well, I once bought a 78 sized stylis for a nice Ortofon magnetic cartridge, for that exact reason. It wasn't difficult to arrange a 78 rpm turntable. Unfortunately my friend who was going to supply a large number of old 78's 'lost' them in a family cleanup. Note that the old78 record groove Just waved from side to side, whereas the stereo microgroove operates at about 45degrees so you have to parallel the left and right channels of the modern pickup cartridge to get the proper sound. The earlier 10" records were not quite 78rpm, so that would have to be accommodated for those historic records (if you can find any of them)

You have to really look after those old pressed records, and keep them dust free an d not use a worn needle.. The early wind up ones just had an extension of the stylus going to the centre of a steel diaphragm attached to a trumpet shaped extension. as displayed on the old HMV (his master's Voice ) label showing the dog listening to the Gramophone. Someone will no doubt have an image. Nev

The trademark image comes from a painting by English artist Francis Barraud and titled His Master's Voice. It was acquired from the artist in 1899 by the newly formed Gramophone Company and adopted as a trademark by the Gramophone Company's United States affiliate, the Victor Talking Machine Company.[1] According to contemporary Gramophone Company publicity material, the dog, a terrier named Nipper, had originally belonged to Barraud's brother, Mark. When Mark Barraud died, Francis inherited Nipper, with a cylinder phonograph and recordings of Mark's voice. Francis noted the peculiar interest that the dog took in the recorded voice of his late master emanating from the horn, and conceived the idea of committing the scene to canvas.