'Squeaky' American presenter explains why photographs taken on the moon don't show any stars

Phil Perry

But we all know that there aren't any stars showing in the moon landing pictures, because it was all staged in a movie studio. OK?

Yes indeed,. . If I recall correctly, James Brolin starred in that,. er,. . Oh, wait,. . .that might have been the other landing, . . .Capricorn One. . . .

Having been an 'Amateur' astronomer for many years, I can understand what she is talking about. . . I used to take loads of pics via telescope and any of these which involved the moon, needed a much shorter exposure time, which did not allow any stars to be visible at all. I DID get shots of the moon with Venus in the same pic,the second brightest object in the night sky in December. . . but had to overexpose the one with Jupiter in the same frame.. . .So Jupiter was blurred, due to to my inability to compensate for terrestrial rotation. . . ( I did say 'AMATEUR' ! ! ! )

Having been an 'Amateur' astronomer for many years, I can understand what she is talking about. . . I used to take loads of pics via telescope and any of these which involved the moon, needed a much shorter exposure time, which did not allow any stars to be visible at all. I DID get shots of the moon with Venus in the same pic,the second brightest object in the night sky in December. . . but had to overexpose the one with Jupiter in the same frame.. . .So Jupiter was blurred, due to to my inability to compensate for terrestrial rotation. . . ( I did say 'AMATEUR' ! ! ! )

Speaking of blurry pix, one mind-blowing bit of trivia about the Voyager probes: their cameras were only really designed to photograph Jupiter and perhaps Saturn. NASA was surprised to find they were both going well after these encounters. They had to re-programme the scanners to take long time exposures of the much dimmer outer planets and their moons. As Voyager sped past, the camera platform had to slowly rotate during the exposure.

They had a trial run re-programming Voyager Two, which had already been slung off into the void after a near-pass of Saturn. Then they erased the instructions from Voyager One and successfully reprogrammed it.

With only 4k of memory and reel-to-reel tapes, doing that from a zillion km away was an amazing achievement.

After being an amateur photographer for 60 years or so I can now understand why I could never photograph stars in the daytime. Who would have thought it would take so long for the penny to drop.

I've read that you can see stars during the day from a deep hole in the ground, but I've never tried it.

I've read that you can see stars during the day from a deep hole in the ground, but I've never tried it.

ACKCHULLY. . . I've heard that too. . .a bloke I know was on holiday in Greece ( the Greek side of Cyprus as it happened ). . . and had himself lowered into a 50 foot deep well to retrieve a rather expensive gold bracelet that his lady friend had lost the same day.. .

He scrabbled around in the mud and detritus at the bottom, up to his neck in brackish water, did NOT find the jewellery, but when he called for them to pull him back up,. . . he noticed that the sky was much darker, and that he could see the moon. . .when he got back to the top, the moon was invisible. . . .He did not mention whether or not he got a cuddle from the Missus that night. . . . him being a total disappointment as a 'He Man'. . . his name is Wayne,. . and he owns 2 luxury apartments on the Turkish end of Cyprus, . . .and he now runs an Internet 'Radio' station there,. . .called 'Seaterra Bay radio' . . . .playing anything the locals want, but mainly sixties / seventies rock, plus Country stuff. . .

But this means that there MIGHT .be some fact in what you said. . .