Here's a post for Mr. Onetrack AND. . . All lovers of decent Music !

Phil Perry

Lovely. I do like a bit of kulture. So much better than the rubbish I hear on our local ABC, which does 5 versions of a "popular" tune each week for listeners to vote their favourite. Usually all awful.

Talking of kulture I recently went to the ballet and saw A midsummer nights dream. Decided I am not that much into kulture.

Some rather surprised shoppers in Leeds, UK. . . .

Thanks for posting.

In the 80s I was a professional musician in the Airforce. I can remember when Torvill and Dean were big, we played this at so many concerts.

People either love or hate it, I personally quite like it

What a civilised country!

Aaaaah. . .I see you have not been to Leeds then ? ( ! ) Yeah, it's sort of OK. 60% Islamic now though. . .and to SOME sects in Islam, music is 'Haram' ie, not allowed. But obviously not on that particular day. Just up the road in Bradford, ( 70% Islamic ) there is a great place called the Museum of TV and Film. This consists of many small mini cinemas, around 12 seats in each. . . where you simply enter into the computers what you want to see and their database is immense and being dded to continually. You can watch old BBC comedies which are far too 'Politically Incorrect' to be shown nowadays. Ie, the days when REAL comedy existed, without the cruditiy which appears mandatory in 'Modern' comedy. . .

AND NEXT DOOR ON THE CORNER. . .

There is a Basement Cafe / Restaurant which is believed to be the Very First Curry House EVER in the UK . . .When my firm erected the Neon graphics in the atrium of the TV centre, which entailed the erection of 45 feet high scaffolding. . I hated that as I can't stand heights. . ( ? ) My crew were eating there for breakfast. Lunch AND Din Dins in the evening.. . . this was 13 years ago, I'd like to go back and have a look at the place and see what they have got on offer. At the time, they would not allow visitors to record anything, but that may have changed over time.

****EDITED TO ADD *****

I mean Recording stuff at the TV place and NOT the Curry house. . . .

Isn't it amazing how ordinary people going about their daily shopping will stop to listen to musicians playing the music of previous centuries, but if you try to tune your radio to a station broadcasting the same music, there will be howls of, "Turn that bloody crap off!!!!"

I find that the what is called "classical" music is very calming when driving a bus load of people in city traffic.

OME

Isn't it amazing how ordinary people going about their daily shopping will stop to listen to musicians playing the music of previous centuries, but if you try to tune your radio to a station broadcasting the same music, there will be howls of, "Turn that bloody crap off!!!!"

I find that the what is called "classical" music is very calming when driving a bus load of people in city traffic.

OME

As long as it's not warbling opera sopranos. Hideous noise- yet I enjoy almost all "classical" music and many fine female singers.

It is said that

Music doth sooth the Savage beast.

It works for me.

But it never helped my ex wife. Seems that she was immune.

OK, I'm with you on the Opera. Whilst I admire the singers ability to control their voices (like a yodeler), I can't stand listening to it. Half the time it's in a foreign language anyway.

Sorry about the thread drift, this post belongs over at "Gripes".

Sorry about the thread drift, this post belongs over at "Gripes".

That's OK. I think that you are close to the thread.

I agree with Old K and Nomad about screeching sheilas going off in foreign tongues.

I reckon more people would enjoy operatic music and the opera stories if the singing was done by people who sang in the middle ranges, and if the opera stories were translated into English. That's why I love "Carmen Jones" and much of Rogers & Hammerstein.

That's OK. I think that you are close to the thread.

I agree with Old K and Nomad about screeching sheilas going off in foreign tongues.

I reckon more people would enjoy operatic music and the opera stories if the singing was done by people who sang in the middle ranges, and if the opera stories were translated into English. That's why I love "Carmen Jones" and much of Rogers & Hammerstein.

It's comforting to know I'm not alone in my musical suffering, but many a good movie has been spoiled when the caste suddenly breaks into song...

OME

My car radio is tuned to ONE frequency, and that is CLASSIC FM. I agree that this music genre can indeed lower the blood pressure factor whilst being an active competitor on the roads. . .

Although,. . .having said that,. . I was bopping along to myself to the 1812 Overture and when I pulled up at some traffic signals, the guy next to me said 'You havin' an epileptic fit matey ? '

Bloody Philistines everywhere. . .

Here is a flashmob staged for a wealthy Russian wedding in Moscow. "Putin" on the Ritz. Note the Trike flying in the background towards the end. Must have been effing freezing.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oacelnX3VSQ

I must be going blind, still can't see that trike.

That clip is filmed at the observation site on Vorobyovy Gory, in front of the Moscow State University. The Luzhniki Stadium is in the background, the other side of the Moscow River. Nice cold day for a wedding.

Another Flashmob. . . .the one that got me accused of having an 'Epileptic Fit' in my car one day. . . .

Ah yes, another piece I played many times during my time in the RAAF Band. The most notable occasion was at Laverton airbase. The cannon fire was kindly (or perhaps sadistically) by an army artillery unit. During the rehearsal, the cannon fire was loud but not unusual. On the actual performance, the army decided to up the charges they were using. When the first cannon went off the band actually faltered a little, it was terrifying not just the sound but you could feel it. Those musicians who played brass instruments say that the compression wave traveled through the instrument and actually momentarily made the mouthpiece jump away from their lips. After the piece finished and the sound died away all you could hear were the screams and crying children and terrified toddlers. Fun though!

Ah yes, another piece I played many times during my time in the RAAF Band. The most notable occasion was at Laverton airbase. The cannon fire was kindly (or perhaps sadistically) by an army artillery unit. During the rehearsal, the cannon fire was loud but not unusual. On the actual performance, the army decided to up the charges they were using. When the first cannon went off the band actually faltered a little, it was terrifying not just the sound but you could feel it. Those musicians who played brass instruments say that the compression wave traveled through the instrument and actually momentarily made the mouthpiece jump away from their lips. After the piece finished and the sound died away all you could hear were the screams and crying children and terrified toddlers. Fun though!

fun. . . .FUN SIR ? ? ? ? I never knew that you had a sadistic vein in your body . .Damn your Cruel fascism SIr !. . . . . Yes,. .. it has always been one of my favourites. My mate Hoggie, used to play in the Royal Marines Band, and Twice played on the Royal Yacht Britannia for HMQ & Co.. . .he played the Triangle by the way,. . . . a point of much mirth amongst us Political reprobates. . .

:-)

• 2 weeks later...

Not exactly a flash mob but.... recently I had an uncharacteristic attack of the nostalgias. My first job was as a musician in the Royal Australian Air Force. Although we did many high-quality musical concerts, recordings etc some jobs were quite memorable. In 1982 we spent 5 weeks in Brisbane for the Commonwealth games doing concerts, anthems at the athlete's village etc and the opening and closing ceremonies (and as I recall drank a substantial amount of alcohol). These days everything is videoed by multiple people from multiple angles in high quality, sadly now only a few poor quality clips exist. I searched for any footage that existed of this occasion. After posting on facebook I had many fantastic conversations will old colleagues about this time. I imagine this will not be of much interest to most people, but f*** it, I am posting it anyway.