Risk of Dying today ?

Phil Perry

The belts are fine as long as a rock or bit of tree doesn't go through it. Rare enough but I've seen it happen twice. A highway always person would be unlucky to have a problem.. I don't really like being on highways. Buffetting , fumes, small rocks are no fun. Nev

Nev it always intrigued me that -apart from a few like MZs- most bikes have a drive chain running in the open, spitting oil and collecting dust.

Internal chains last yonks, so why not design the swing arm to accomodate and enclose the chain (or belt) to ensure a long life?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few have enclosed rear chains the 1919 600 cc HD flat twin had them. some Bultaco's and later Ariels (covered not oil bath). They usually look ugly and make maintenance more difficult. If a chain failed in an enclosed area it could be an accident risk. They require too much care to get a normal chain to last any real time and mess up the bike as you say. The toothed belt is fine.. Nev

After a few old Britbikes (BSA A5; Royal Enfield Bullet; Triumph 3TA) I bought a Honda 550K4. It was a ratbike, to be fair, but it went well. On my way to work there was a straight bit of road that I kept trying to reach the magic ton on, but never quite made it. Then one day, just after the straight, when I'd slowed down to 30 or so approaching a roundabout, there was a bang & the rear wheel locked. I got the clutch in quickly, so stayed on board. Turned out the timing chain had jumped off the sprocket & seized the engine. But if it had happened a minute earlier I would have been hurting. . .

So when I returned to biking in my 40's, I bought a Honda VFR 750FV with gear driven cams. Bullet proof V4 engine, superb sound; impeccable handling. Loved that bike.

Bruce

I've had 2 viffers (had to buy the second as some lowlife scum half-inched the first.) Wonderful bikes.

• 2 weeks later...

The reasons for riding in a group are: Firstly, you are treated with more respect or fear... is there a difference I wonder.

Secondly, if your bike is big and heavy and it falls over then you need several blokes to right it again.

Just yesterday I had to lift up the farm Yamaha and it was hard work even though by bike standards it is light.

I reckon a bike is like flying on the ground... just wonderful.

Not plurry long Nev, but I was referring to "normal" bike trips, like those in the more populated parts of the country. Most of my bike trips, including very long ones thru inhospitable areas, have been solo. Since the technology became available, I've carried a tracking app. for the very reasons you mentioned.

Most of us don't have the luxury of a few mates with spare time to tag along.

Here's the thing in perspective, although most of you guys have figured it already.

Chance of dying this year ( in your 70's) = 20 in 1000. Yep its up from 10 in 1000 in your 60's. Bugger I'm getting old. You have a 20% chance of dying in the 10 years of your 70's.

Chance of dying on your motorbike if you do 7000km a year = 1 in 1000

So go riding say I.