Obscene Salaries

Bruce

There's no need to be rude to them, Neil. They have a job to do and may well have the best of intentions.

If I was to be abusive on the phone it should be directed at the destructive corporations that many charities are fighting against...but then it would just be their receptionists who copped it, not the overpaid, amoral directors.

I agree with old K. Once I asked a caller about her CEO's home phone number. Well to make a long story short, she wasn't allowed to tell me that and then she started crying and apologizing and I felt a real heel.

Just today I got a guide dog caller and I told him I would need independent info about the executive salaries in his charity. I think he was a genuine volunteer and I felt a heel again.

I get lots of phone calls from charities. After all the nice words about what a great supporter I've been in the past etc., the bottom line is they want money. The caller gets upset when I try to bypass them by offering to send money direct to their website.I presume each caller is on a bonus system and gets a cut of my donation.

At Otherton airfield in the earlier days, we used to take people up in our aircraft and they were allowed ( legally ) ro cough up HALF of the cost of the flight. So we set this at Ten Quid per passenger for a reasonable 20 minute flight around the area. All pilots handed over the money collected to the nearest helicopter Air Ambulance unit, ( These are ALL funded by donations )

After about three years of doing this at our events, we discovered that the charity 'Manager' in each ambo area, was paid a rather large salary, supplied with a car, PLUS a percentage of each donation ! ! ! Correspondingly, since we pilot owners were bearing this entire donation cost ourselves, we gave it up.

I DO give to the 'Salvoes' though, I like their brass bands standing around in the snow in town centres playing Christmas carols and YES they really DO use the donations wisley.

At Otherton airfield in the earlier days, we used to take people up in our aircraft and they were allowed ( legally ) ro cough up HALF of the cost of the flight. So we set this at Ten Quid per passenger for a reasonable 20 minute flight around the area. All pilots handed over the money collected to the nearest helicopter Air Ambulance unit, ( These are ALL funded by donations )

After about three years of doing this at our events, we discovered that the charity 'Manager' in each ambo area, was paid a rather large salary, supplied with a car, PLUS a percentage of each donation ! ! ! Correspondingly, since we pilot owners were bearing this entire donation cost ourselves, we gave it up.

I DO give to the 'Salvoes' though, I like their brass bands standing around in the snow in town centres playing Christmas carols and YES they really DO use the donations wisley.

Looks well. . .replying to myself dunnit ?

Anyway, I have, ( somewhere ) some photographs of a Mobile exhibition unit for the Midlands Air Ambulance charity, for which which my company produced all of the intenal and external colour graphics.

It was a Renault cab with a specially built 7 metre box body, with one side which opened up as a canopy on gas struts, and then foldable 'Wing' panels slid out from behind the cab,a and hinged out from the back panel to form a large static display. It had colour pics of the helicopters in flight, printed onto self adhesive vinyl, and 'Wrapped' all over the bodywork, the extending panels and all around the inside of the unit.. . .This work, I did for FREE. as a 'Donation' to the cause. the body building firm also gave them a large discount on the vehicle costs.

At that time, around 2006 -7, the work I produced, would have normally cost around £2,800.00 - £3,000- . . .but I was doing very well in business, and it made me feel better about myself ( ! )

I bite me bleedin' lip thinking about it. . . knowing what I know now. . . .. . . .

I give £8/month to Devon & Somerset air ambos via direct debit... I am going to go on their website and examine their financials to see how much puts fuel in the copter's tanks

Whilst I would never try to influence anyone's decisions on where to place their charitable contributions simply by relating my own experiences of same,.. . .I applaud your idea Jerry.

When I gave up the Air Ambo donations, the approximate cost of running the twin engine Messerschmitt helicopters at the time, was £780.00 Per Flying hour. ( Circa 2008 )

Now, whether this was a combination cost, which included Crew wages, Medic wages and maintenance and interest on the purchase loan or lease payment ( I doubt it ) I don't have that breakdown. I would imagine that the kerosene / Jet A1 cost per hour of operation would be one of the lowest considerations involved. I started Donating cash ( apart from my previous graphics story ) some time ago, when my Younger Brother had a serious motorcycle accident on a still dark morning at around 5.45 AM in the winter, and the Air Ambo braved the abysmal weather and attended the accident just on the other side of the road hedge, in the half dawn light in heavy rain.. . .

I considered this piece of flying to be superb. ( Mind you, Bond Aviation Ltd. normally give prfeference to recruits from the Royal Navy and other Ex-Military pilot pool.

Brother had a SECOND ride in one of these machines 4 years later,. . . following yet ANOTHER motorbike accident. . . incidentally, he is an instructor and Mentor with Advanced Riding Schools, who have trained police motorcyclists, I'm telling you this in case you think he is a looney. Both incidents were proven to be not his fault.

I'd be interested to know what you find out WRT this subject Sir. . . .

I agree with old K. Once I asked a caller about her CEO's home phone number. Well to make a long story short, she wasn't allowed to tell me that and then she started crying and apologizing and I felt a real heel.Just today I got a guide dog caller and I told him I would need independent info about the executive salaries in his charity. I think he was a genuine volunteer and I felt a heel again.

This is the Problem Bruce. . .

Most 'Volunteers' do this out of the goodness of their hearts, usinng thier own phones, and paying the bill for that, and I'm CERTAIN that they have no real idea of what that charity actually does with the donations, and what percentage is actually disbursed for the stated purpose of it's existence. . . .someone did a survey of 100 charities in the UK last year, and it made rather interesting reading. . . .

Or, rather Depressing reading. . .depending upon your point of view. . . .some of them are horrible, ie, if some elderly lady has a record of giving by standing order / Direct monthly debit, they have people phoning them regularly to increase their subsciptions. . .and these people use some tather high pressure tactics to ping their heartstrings. .

WELL THEY WOULD . . . These parasites are known as 'CHUGGERS' . . .and get paid a percentage. . . they also do their best to get oldies to include the charity in their wills. . . .

SO. . .I wouldn't feel like a heel if I were you mate. . . .I've no doubt that this goes on in God's own Country too. . . .if you want a Skeletal' meme,. . .how about 'Footing' them up the arris when they come to your door begging. . .?

The rot starts as soon as charitable organisations start paying people. Even the best of us would develop conflicted priorities. Our aging society is awash with experienced, dedicated and capable seniors, many with decades of useful life ahead of them. Most have a secure income. Why are they not running these charities?