Ice drug problem

Bruce

I am all for legalizing 'recreational' drugs.

BUT

Only with some money spent on rehabilitation.

AND

Money spent on advertising. A culture shift. is required (even for. alcohol). If the Coca Cola company can convince the world that their product is "cool", it should be possible to convince the vulnerable majority that drugs are not "cool" and do not gain admiration of their peers.

Follow that up with a 'no tolerance' policy for motoring - drug offenses. Say confiscation of the vehicle (crush it no matter who owns it)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to know a speed addict in Logan City, Ray, lovely guy, debt collection was his specialty, easy money for his addiction.

He used to actually like going to prison every now and then for short stays, great food, free medical and dentist, exercise and get off the speed for a while.

While this system continues in Australia, the problem will never be solved. Once you are a prisoner then your "rights" should be dissolved.

People should note that in Portugal, distribution and sales of drugs is still illegal.

Totally agree with Ian's comment about revoking citizenship (or VISA rights) - any migrant convicted of a violent or drug crime should have any citizenship rights revoked and be deported as an undesirable alien.

I am speaking as an embittered victim of crime - been mugged by a pair of long term 'visitors' who were financing their years here by muggings. They were repeat offenders.

In my opinion making drugs illegal has not worked all around the world, it just gills up our courts and the never get the top hand in the fight against drugs in any country. There are those that say drug addiction is a sickness and should be treated medically and with compassion along with counsellung and rehabilitation. There are also those that say many lights drugs should be decriminalised as a way to beat it.

CRAP

I think all drugs should be absolute illegal. We build some basic dirt hut type prisons in the middle of the outback. Any person that is found either with drugs or under the influence of drugs is sent to that prison without a court case for a first offence of 3 months. A 2nd offence 6 months and 3rd offence 2 years etc. In prison they get off the drugs by force and those prisons don't have TV, swimming pools, gyms, internet etc. Any person not born in Australia and found to have drugs on them, in their house, car or under the influence, any Australian rights are cancelled and they are sent back to their country of birth with just the shirt on their back to be dealt with and all their belongings in Australia are seized and sold off to offset the cost of the prisons.

DONE

Drug use will die, insurance rates will drop, assaults and murders will drop, there will be more police able to fight other crimes, burgularies will drop, road accidents will drop, more hospital beds to reduce waiting times, quicker ambulance response times and more and more and more. Give an initial 6 months moritorium first and then BANG drug users...you're GONE

In my opinion making drugs illegal has not worked all around the world, it just gills up our courts and the never get the top hand in the fight against drugs in any country. There are those that say drug addiction is a sickness and should be treated medically and with compassion along with counsellung and rehabilitation. There are also those that say many lights drugs should be decriminalised as a way to beat it.

CRAP

I think all drugs should be absolute illegal. We build some basic dirt hut type prisons in the middle of the outback. Any person that is found either with drugs or under the influence of drugs is sent to that prison without a court case for a first offence of 3 months. A 2nd offence 6 months and 3rd offence 2 years etc. In prison they get off the drugs by force and those prisons don't have TV, swimming pools, gyms, internet etc. Any person not born in Australia and found to have drugs on them, in their house, car or under the influence, any Australian rights are cancelled and they are sent back to their country of birth with just the shirt on their back to be dealt with and all their belongings in Australia are seized and sold off to offset the cost of the prisons.

DONE

Drug use will die, insurance rates will drop, assaults and murders will drop, there will be more police able to fight other crimes, burgularies will drop, road accidents will drop, more hospital beds to reduce waiting times, quicker ambulance response times and more and more and more. Give an initial 6 months moritorium first and then BANG drug users...you're GONE

When you say that all drugs should be illegal, my question is why are you so keen to deny me the cardiac drug I require to stay alive???? Of course you don't, what you meant to say was drugs that have been deemed to be illegal, I also assume that you would exempt drugs that have been deemed acceptable, even though they do have some negative effects on society. Alcohol??

I am not seeking to change your mind, but I would like to make it clear that the idea of legalizing illicit drugs is not about giving drugs away on street corners but rather it is about ensuring that those young folk who are seduced into trying drugs do not die but are able to take drugs safely until they are able to give up. Australia has been very successful at limiting the spread of HIV because it did not take the conservative judgemental route the US took.

I know people think that (licit) drug legalisation is only a project of the loony left, can I just remind people that some of the most recent proponents of this are Mick Palmer and Geoff Kennett hardly lefties. Shaping Australia's Future: Mick Palmer to Editor, Daily Telegraph

Now my opinion is this: I am sick of ideology, both left and right. The reality is that even in the treatment of fatal diseases we don't say "I feel in my gut that this treatment is best", no we actually compare the real world results of different treatment regimes. If drug legalisation is an absolute disaster then it will very quickly be proven that are right.

I have read many scholarly articles on harm minimisation and my feeling is that decriminalisation would reduce death's and crime. Will that work here? I do not know, but maybe we should have the courage to try and to use our intelligence to dispassionately analyse the results.

My son tried Marijuana when he was about 15, this did not bother me because he was able to share this information with me without judgement or legal sanction. I would imagine that if this behaviour would have resulted in draconian punishment he would have not shared this information with me .I suppose some people think he should have been dragged off to jail. As it turns out he did not particularly enjoy the experience. It is lucky that he was not discovered and arrested and subjected to the punishment you would advocate. He tried it and did not like it, now his biggest drug habit he has is the odd craft beer and he is a successful entrepreneur and employs 6 people. But perhaps he should have been put in jail????

Any person that is found either with drugs or under the influence of drugs is sent to that prison without a court case for a first offence of 3 months.

Who determines that if it doesn't go to court? That'd be a handy little tool for shutting down anyone you didn't like. Pesky investigative journalist getting too close to uncovering corruption? Business competitor cutting into your market share? Grudge against the ex-wife or her new boyfriend? Hide a gram of coke in their car and call the cops. Problem solved, they're inside for 3 months.

The only thing that removes addiction, whether it be to drugs (legal or illegal), alcohol, gambling etc, is to fix the underlying problems that cause addictive behaviour. That's too difficult for society to do so we dodge the issue by making stuff illegal and imprisoning people instead of helping them.

Like I keep saying, we're not all alcoholics despite being able to go buy a bottle or 2 of vodka every day if we want to. People aren't going to go take drugs if they're living fulfilling lives, so why not save a motza from the law enforcement, court & jail systems and make the damn things safe, legal and cheap. I bet the absolute worst nightmare of any organised crime network in the drug business, is for their product to be made legal.

Frank, the relative numbers are minute and that's Guangdong/Hong Kong area which is almost not China.

I have sat at a table at a bar here while some girls snorted K (ketamine), it, and dope, are around, the amount of, and the amount of people who use is miniscule. I would add that I reckon 90% of Chinese females don't drink or less than 1 glass for politeness at a social gathering. 99% of females don't smoke by the way, and it is associated to being a Prostitute if you do.

I have never heard of a heavy drug problem in this Province, but there are plenty of rich kids who want to be cool so no doubt there is some cocaine and other stuff underground.

While alcohol remains cheaper than Pepsi Cola, and while people can drink, and get drunk in public without violence, it will remain the number one substance of abuse by far.