ONE FOR YOU MOTORCYCLE NUTS. . .

Phil Perry

I agree,. . . .OK, footage from a rigidly nounted camera never gives a 'Real' feel for the speed, as it all looks much faster and more violent than in reality. . . and shakes around a bit too. I've noticed this myself when riding the same circuit ( at approximately 1/4 that speed BTW ! )

Definitely his Father's Son is Michael. . . . ( R.I.P. Joey Dunlop )

Some twot on another blog has seen this and said that these TT riders are not a patch on track riders like Rossi etc. . . . I say Rubbish ! . . . on most track circuits there are usually around 6 or 8 bends, . . .try counting AND MEMORISING all the twists and bends on the 37.5 mile TT circuit. . . and how many stone walls, chicanes and hump backed bridges you have to navigate at rather high velocities. . . .

Two vastly differing disciplines, no sensible comparison possible.

My youger Brother, who was at the entire 2 week festival, said that Michael Dunlop was taking far too many risks. . . I guess any rider on that track has to take a certain amount of risks, but the attrition rate this year was quite bad,. . eleven motorcylclists dead, including one sidecar comp rider. . . ( not all competitors ) and some Irish blokes in a car, who came down the mountain towards the Creg ny Baa pub corner at high speed, lost it and partly demolished the grandstand. Fortunately, there was no one on it at the time. . . all roaring drunk aparently. . .and all dead. very sad.

Guest Oscar

Joey Dunlop... Yer Maun. Absolute, unchallenged legend as a person and a rider. I saw Hailwood (ranks with Joey in my book) ride in Australia, and he was sublime to watch... but anybody who retires, then when some rather loud mouth comes along boasting, gets his mates to drag the old bike down from the ceiling of the pub, blows off the dust and blows away the pretender, has made his point. Reportedly, 10,000 marched in his funeral parade.

• 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Joey Dunlop... Yer Maun. Absolute, unchallenged legend as a person and a rider. I saw Hailwood (ranks with Joey in my book) ride in Australia, and he was sublime to watch... but anybody who retires, then when some rather loud mouth comes along boasting, gets his mates to drag the old bike down from the ceiling of the pub, blows off the dust and blows away the pretender, has made his point. Reportedly, 10,000 marched in his funeral parade.

10,003 mate. . . that included my two Brothers and myself. . . .never seen anything like it.

A lot of my ancestors worked in the Pits. Nev

My ancestors missed out on the Pits Nev, . .but Both my Grandfathers died from emphycema due to breathing far too much coal and metallic dust in their 40 odd years working first as Royal Navy stokers, and later in two separate iron foundries. . .