What wildlife do you have in your yard?

farri

Mate of mine recently stopped his truck, jumped out and killed a big tiger snake crossing the road. The people in the car behind him were horrified and started abusing him and threatening to call the police - until he pointed out the child care centre the snake was heading toward.

I'm all for protecting native wildlife but any snake on our property will have a short meeting with a shovel.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The close calls are real where I am and two actual bites with one son, plus one dog (the only dog I ever had dead) The dams everyone has provides frogs etc for plenty of snakes. Their existence is not threatened at all. My slasher gets a few at the beginning of the warm days. Asp fillet. Nev

Snakes should always be relocated as quickly as possible.

And the quickest way is the good old .410 (actually I suppose the 12 gauge is technically quicker but doesn't seem so sporting and has a bit more potential to put holes in things you don't want holes in!)

I don't mind snakes if they are where I don't see them but with a 3 and 4 year old around the house is a no no for them.

Trouble is I usually see one when the only weapon is a rotten stick. By the time I got the keys, opened the gun safe, opened the ammunition safe, clawed my way back through years of debris, he's long gone.

That's when the shovel comes in handy. Perfectly legal, no licence required, and no ammunition costs.

My long dead grandfather was a farmer at Hay and always carried a long handled shovel everywhere. He could chop the bloody browns head of from 20 feet like a marksmen.

I asked why not just use the shotgun- waste of money, some days he would kill ten of the buggers. If he failed with the shovel- a rarity he would use his whip- he could knock a ciggie from your mouth and cutting the head off a snake was childs play.

Myself I normally leave them be- but if in the house or near kids - they are fair game

My son's underarm spray got rid of ring tail possums from my big shed. I didn't actually use HIS but bought a cheaper version. I reckon they would get rid of anything. Anyhow back to topic ...

General animal/critter siuation..

Sugar ants under iron sheets. Lotsa big ants everywhere, Stumpy tail lizzards (lovely) small blue tongues.BIG Hares, some rabbits At least one fox. Up to 10 kangaroo's (grey)about 15 swamp fowl average 10 wood ducks. Occasional heron's Numerous wrens Magpies, wagtails yellow crested white cockatoos. Occasional Powerful Owl. kookaburra's, used to have Koala's but dogs get them. Noisy frogs in the dam. Natural Yabbies and Eels and other primeaval creatures in there. Sometimes black Swans visit. Cormorants and other less worthy birds. indian mynars etc. Nev

The biggest I have ever seen was on my block here when a big sheet of bark came off a felled large tree and there on the tree was this spotted grey white spider with legs that span a medium sized plate. About 9" at least. I have no idea what it was. I've never seen anything like it before. The legs were square section. Nev