What wildlife do you have in your yard?

farri

Yeah we (down under generally) get quite a few dogs fall victim to snakebite. All the vets carry anti-venom which is quite effective but of course the dog often doesn't show signs it has been bitten until it's too late, stoic creatures as they are (nah I'm fine....honestly dad......just a minor altercation).

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We found this Barbary Dove outside with missing tail feathers about 6 months ago... it is the second Dove we have found and nursed back to health from our yard. The first was a Native and as such was released after recovery...but the Barbary is not...so he is still living with us in his own cage and his name is Smokie Skywinsor...

He is pretty big now and makes the most beautiful soothing noises and is very friendly.

[ATTACH]47790._xfImport[/ATTACH]

11229968_10206309630127327_5017265798550960806_n.thumb.jpg.b0f62398225acc3461b7f48e1f113be0.jpg

as wild as it gets around here most days,

saw an Eastern brown a week or so ago,

the New Holland honey eaters have driven off the Blue Wrens

the knowing magpies tease the pup

and I can't stop the starlings getting into the roof

[ATTACH]47791._xfImport[/ATTACH]

upload_2015-12-8_9-3-11.thumb.png.84f0b6c0ee00cadfbf384ec58ff9dde6.png

We have all the normal things like black snakes, wombats, etc - but our dog bailed up this ferocious looking beast the other day. Didn't even know we had them !!

[ATTACH]47793._xfImport[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]47792._xfImport[/ATTACH]

12274213_1007279285984652_6601921267339655730_n.thumb.jpg.029632f35726736cc9f44ef592f997ee.jpg

12313948_1007279259317988_8751948275987733983_n.thumb.jpg.b453544fb4f26335589c0a18c5955766.jpg

We have all the normal things like black snakes, wombats, etc - but our dog bailed up this ferocious looking beast the other day. Didn't even know we had them !![ATTACH=full]39859[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]39860[/ATTACH]

Well he's been there a while... the spiders have already started building webs on his nose... spacer.png

I was laughing before at a wallaby in full flight with our miniature foxie on his heels... the dog doesn't really know how big he is and it'd be amusing if he ever caught one.

Well he's been there a while... the spiders have already started building webs on his nose... spacer.png

I was laughing before at a wallaby in full flight with our miniature foxie on his heels... the dog doesn't really know how big he is and it'd be amusing if he ever caught one.

I think there must have been a web on the post as he climbed for cover !!

Little Egret, Greater Egret, Cormorant, Little Pied Cormorant, White faced Heron, Nankeen Heron, Kestrel, Swan, Duck, Pelican, Ibis - sacred/straw neck/black,Gulls, Lapwing, Oyster catcher etc etc.........we live on the edge of coorong national park

I

This old wallaby lives in my back yard he's nearly blind and is deaf as well

I was going for a surf at Bells Beach yesterday and I slowed down as a roo crossed in front of me, then no joke five roos stood in a line in the middle of the road and stared as if to say "TURN AROUND NOW" I will see if I still have it on the dash cam as the recording is on a loop so may have over written it.

We have all the normal things like black snakes, wombats, etc - but our dog bailed up this ferocious looking beast the other day. Didn't even know we had them !![ATTACH=full]39859[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]39860[/ATTACH]

Round here we'd grab that thing by the tail and give it a high speed swing around into something, pulp it's head in on a post or trough edge. Some nights you could pop ten or so and have a hundred bucks worth of fur.

Over there that would get you in MAJOR trouble with the wildlife rangers.

You do have to be pretty damn careful in handling them, drag them along by the tail, sure, but always make sure they have their front feet on the ground so they can scratch in and try and get away. If you lift them a little too far so their front paws come off the ground, they transition from escape mode to Homicide mode in a flash, and can climb their tails and have a pretty good go at shredding your arm. Fight or Flight... best to leave them an iota of flight.

We can't even catch them and move them to a nearby reserve. Max distance from capture point, 50 metres. Fines up to $5,000 for relocating, catching, injuring or killing possums. They are native animals and are protected under the Wildlife Act 1975. You've got to make a box for them to nest in, place it in a tree, on your property, and hope they move out of your roof. I'd like to strangle the little bludgers.

To Late.......

We have a few of these fellows visit us, and their bigger relatives the Lace Monitor. The Border Collie will spend all day at the base of a tree to make sure they don't come down. It works, too- the lizards just find a comfortable spot and sleep all day.[ATTACH]47798._xfImport[/ATTACH]

Goanna2.thumb.jpg.c0d35ca08227e18e2d88622b9fc5f110.jpg

We have a resident echidna.......where he apends time looks like a mine site

Also get black, brown and used to get inland taipans, very agressive little feckers those ones. Change colour and can look like black or brown.

Niece bitten by brown at front steps, nearly didnt make it to hospital. Just try to tell us how endangered they are.