The Media

willedoo

I get a bit of a chuckle reading Murdoch's clickbait headlines. The latest from news.com.au:  "Kyle abandons show after horror scare".  What really happened was that Kyle Sandilands fell down the stairs at home and couldn't come in to work, so they played a prerecorded show yesterday.

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

To put things in context, in my opinion it's safe to say that Sky is the defacto media wing of the LNP. Queensland is headed for a state election this year. At every state election the LNP is devoid of any realistic, workable policies, so they fall back on their age old tactics of trying to make the election about law and order. They like to portray themselves as the only party that's tough on crime. It's the only shot they have in their rather barren locker. As the old joke goes: the last time the Queensland LNP had an original thought, it died of loneliness.

To pull this stunt off, every election year they bend over backwards to make the public think they are in mortal danger because of Labor's law and order management. Sky and the other Murdoch outlets are simply acting on instructions, ie: push the law and order issue. Overall youth crime is dropping; what's increasing is the percentage of overall youth crime committed by certain sectors of the community. The LNP knows that Steven Miles is not a good media performer. That's his Achilles heel and the LNP want to go for the jugular even if that means their drongo mates at Sky cutting footage to misrepresent to a gullible audience.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Qld has the most intense coverage by Murdoch of any state and the LNP only exists in QLD. National Party policies LOSE Lib seats and there's nothing the Libs can do about it.. The Deputy PM appointment always goes to the NP Leader and other arrangements exist between the two parties that we are not allowed to know the details of. ALL good if you can get away with it..  The QLD STATE government has no Upper House . there IS a difference.  Nev

• Informative 1
  • Sad 2

We haven't had an upper house since 1921.  The then Labor government talked the governor into appointing extra Labor members to the Legislative Council. Once the government had the majority on the council, it voted to abolish itself.

• Informative 1

He got around a bit; four different parties in four terms. In those days parties were chopping and changing all the time before they gradually morphed into what we see now. It wasn't far from the Ministerialist/Oppositionist days of parliamentary composition.

• Informative 2

I don't know how Microsoft has done it, but every morning when I boot up my computer I get MSN which is mainly links to Sky News. There are links to Channel 9 and the ABC, but not many. 

As for Sky News, they don't seem to the what is called a "free-to-air" broadcaster which means, amongst other things, they don't have to comply with The Australian Commercial Television Industry Code of Practice  which covers the matters prescribed in section 123 of the Broadcasting Services Act 1992 and other matters relating to program content that are of concern to the community including accuracy, fairness and respect for privacy in news and current affairs.

That basically means they can say and do what they like, within the bounds of defamation, and there is lo legal come back. 

• Informative 1