Fuel type for new car

Admin

Wish i had it right now as i am currently mid way between melb and canberra but as usual the au is just purring along. Cruise control on. Speedo says 115 but the recreational flying gps says 111. Filled up with lpg as i left melb at 48 cents a litre...cheap motoring

• 1 month later...

Ford's TCDi diesels are great bits of kit - very economical and very cheap to run. One thing to remember with them, though, is that they run a common-rail direct injection fuel system.... clean fuel is a must and monitoring the fuel filter is very important, as is using the correct engine oil! Change the filter as per the service interval in the service and warranty book (usually around 40,000km) and you'll have years and years of trouble free motoring with your Mondeo..... onto the Territory Diesel: the 2720cc Duratorq TCDi V6 turbo diesel is actually a borrowed engine from Land Rover, as is the 6R80 6 speed automatic gearbox!

Hi Ian, I run a 2008 BF Mk3 Falcon wagon with straight gas from the factory. It has considerably more power than the dual fuel models i've owned before.

My son borrowed it recently and did a trip to Queensland. Driving at night he was beginning to get anxious about finding a servo open on The New England highway that sold lpg before he ran out. He normally drives his turbo'd Nissan drift-car, so is the type that has to beat everyone away from the lights (read that as hoon), but he got 674kms out of the 100ltr tank which is not bad. It's got close to 300,000kms on the clock now and uses very little oil. Parking brake is a bugger to get right and stay right and it needs a few rear bushes now, but overall I'm very happy with it. Rear suspension is a bit soft for towing my boat though.

Yeah not 100% happy with the economy cost of the new mondeo. Sure it gets around 850 k per tank highway driving so about 6lit per 100k BUT here is the thing my au gets 500 k on same trip per tank but when you cost it out at $1.25 per litre for diesel compared to 0.55c per litre for gas the au is much cheaper AND it is a 4.1 compared to the mondeo 2lit. The 4.1 will never wear out on highway cruising...i wish ford still made a fairmont wagon

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Driving back from Canberra to Melbourne in the Mondeo Titanium Wagon here is a photo of the fuel economy. I filled up in Canberra City and had driven almost 150ks and checked the economy so far and it showed I was getting 5.2 litres per 100ks and I still had enough fuel to get a further 995ks. This is with a 60litre tank, Cruise control set at 115 kms/hr, speedo showing 110 kms/hr and GPS saying 111kms/hr

[ATTACH]48118._xfImport[/ATTACH]

1.jpg

• 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...
My 4lt V6 petrol Pajero just did it's best fuel run at 480 Ks for 55 ltrs =11.46 ltrs per 100 klms.Beats the 2.8 ltrs 4 pot diesel at 14 ltrs per 100 klms. by a long way.

Who says diesels are more economical.

spacesailor

I do. On a trip to Devonport and back a couple of weeks ago (700km) our diesel Santa Fe did 8.0 l/100km. The only reason it was that heavy on fuel was the 5 bicycles on the back giving a bit of drag. I've had it down to 6.7. Filled it up before we left and didn't fill up again until after we got home.

That's with the whole family (2 adults + 3 kids) and our luggage.