Are we becoming too sensitive?

Jerry_Atrick

There was an incident in the Richmond/Western Bulldogs' game on the weekend, where a fan copped a 1 year ban from attending any AFL/AFLW game for accosting Marlion Pickett, an indigenous Richmond player. There is an article, and vision of it here: https://www.afl.com.au/news/997577/fan-cops-long-ban-for-contact-with-tiger-pickett

OK, I agree, the fan crossed the line by reaching out to pat the player on the back three times, and he said something that we couldn't hear; It could have been racist, or it could have been "nice try; keep going", or anything in between, although I am assuming it probably wasn't all congratulatory as the player knocked the attendee's drink out out of his hand. Given the decision of a ban had already been made and the article made no reference to racism and the supporter may well have been an opposition supporter, it may well have been a sarcastic "Well done for not spoiling the mark".

But while the supporter definitely crossed the line, in the absence of offensive/racist remarks, does it warrant a 12 month ban? There was no visible intent to harm the player as far as I could see and maybe a small ban + some constructive education as to why it is important not to perform like that is required. Can we sometimes be too correct and upstanding that the consequence that feels right to us results in the "perpetrator" believing what has been handed out to them to tbe disproportionate, unjust and them rile them to be even worse when the can re-participate? I wonder.

But back to sensitivities - The Aussie cricket team got all hot under the collar at what would be considered usual barbs thrown at them from the crowd as they walked up the race towards the pavilion. This isn't the Kawaja incident - or the chanting of cheats - but the usual sort of stuff.. Yet, they got very hot under the collar about it and lodged official complaints; maybe the Kawaja incident at Lords made them sensitive. But, they, like Marlion Pickett are pros and play amongst attendees who passionately and emotionally support and oppose them.

I read this morning on The Age website about how 80% of the online vitriol received by the BBC is aimed at a solitary young female journalist because she has the audacity to be the social media fact checker. No doubt, she has good support from within the Beeb, but she seems to be taking it all in her stride. Yes, there are situations where it is devastating, as in the case of Dolly Everett (the RM Williams child model cyberbullied to suicide), but anonymous people throwing barbs from behind a keyboard, or a crowd of many tens of thousands?

Are we becoming too sensitive?

• Agree 1

Too sensitive, or the worm turning and saying, "Enough is enough"?

There is difference between those in your social circle having a shot at you, and a complete stranger doing the same.  You know that the motive of your mate is to raise a laugh. You never know the motive of the stranger. 

It would be nice to know if the on-ground official heard anything and repeated it during an enquiry (if there was one). If one wanted to get really picky, what the spectator did amounts, at Law, to Common Assault, but of the most trivial nature. Just like bumping into someone on a crowded street.

The definition of "assault" in Victoria is: "An assault is the use of any force, or threat to use force, against a person that is not consented to."  So the degree of force is not specified, and there must be no consent to the application of the force by the recipient. 

• Like 1

The AFL are taking a stand, trying to prevent crowd involvement in attacks, physical or verbal, on players of any ethic group, aborigine, African, Muslim, whatever. Having said that, some over-react, pleading "poor me" while doing and saying what they like. eg. Adam Goodes. 

• Like 1

I didn't like what the AFL did about the Clarkson affair. I reckon that he was so honestly non-racist that he reckoned all his players should be prepared to die for the ball, and that skin color had nothing to do with anything.

BUT, I really like how they don't wear helmets and so I reckon they need to be especially hard on players hitting an opponent on the head.