Africa splitting apart

red750

As with so many great advances, Wegener was trained in a different field, so came to Geology with a fresh perspective. He copped lots of ridicule from the conservative establishment, but contributed more to Science than many.

Plenty of that obstruction still going on.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

1 hour ago, facthunter said:

Not that that changed the course of Science at all. 

I think that it has had a profound effect on many areas of Science, and the understanding of the layperson of our World.

Some of the things I can think of are in paleontology where it helps to describe the distribution of ancient lifeforms. It also helps to explain why most Marsupialia are only found on our continent

Lifeforms boundary between placentals and marsupilasimage.jpeg.44b22323282ffaa18a217cd2cf334b3c.jpeg  Boundary of the Indo-Australian plate Image of Australian tectonic boundary (red line). The two area's circled are hypothetical hot-spots which if a earthquake occurred at could cause a tsunami that would threaten the Australian east coast.

See one effect on humans of the Indo-Australian plate going under the Asian plate: https://www.uq.edu.au/news/article/2009/10/australian-continent-blame-samoa-sumatra-quakes

Caught by the double "that"!

That bit between the Indo-Australian Plate and the Asian Plate does contribute to the Pacific Rim of Fire, which takes in Japan, Alaska, the Pacific West Coast and down the Pacific coast of South America. However, earthquakes near the border of Canada and the Pacific Northwest of the USA are due to the North American Plate colliding with the Pacific Plate. Earthquakes in the Middle East are due to the Indo-Australian and African Plates colliding with the Eurasian Plate.

3 hours ago, old man emu said:

Some of the things I can think of are in paleontology where it helps to describe the distribution of ancient lifeforms. It also helps to explain why most Marsupialia are only found on our continent

Lifeforms boundary between placentals and marsupilas

image.jpeg.44b22323282ffaa18a217cd2cf334b3c.jpeg  

Plate Tectonics can take credit for causing the Wallace Line, which divides Eurasian animals from Australian ones (kangaroos are found on some Indonesian islands). When sea levels were about 120m lower during the Ice Ages, this was still deep water dividing the two continental areas.

I’ve crossed the deep trench between Bali and Lombok in a small, overloaded passenger ferry; heavy swell kept us drenched the whole trip! That narrow Strait also has political implications: it’s probably the only place where US nuclear submarines can travel undetected between the Pacific and Indian Oceans.

I suspect it was a factor in JFK’s support of Indonesia’s takeover of western Papua. Jakarta could easily have allowed the Soviets to place sensors there to detect American subs.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

32 minutes ago, Old Koreelah said:

I suspect it was a factor in JFK’s support of Indonesia’s takeover of western Papua. Jakarta could easily have allowed the Soviets to place sensors there to detect American subs.

At no time in politics are then no strings attached.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Winner 1