In case you missed it.

old man emu

5 hours ago, old man emu said:

In case you missed it over on recreationalflying.com, CASA has approved the flying event I have been working on over Summer. What needs to happen now is for the word to get spread around. That's where you can help. 

I sent out an email to every contact I had in my contact lists, but some emails shot back because inboxes would not accept them. Lyle was one whose inbox wouldn't accept the email. So, I've attached the file for the flyer here. Would you either share it with your flying contacts, or print it and display it where they might see it?

Thanks on behalf of Arthur Butler Aviation Museum.

ome, I regularly volunteer at our local air museum which gets a lot of visitors. If you like, I can arrange to print some copies to stick up in the reception area, and get it posted on the museum's Facebook page. The FB page gets a fair bit of traffic.

Edited by willedoo
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, facthunter said:

Every flying school and aero club should welcome one also.

Been there. Done that. At least for as many of then whose email address I could find. Too many simply have FB pages with no email details. I think I contacted  most of the ones west of the Dividing Range in NSW, and a few in the NSW conurbation to the East.

The Museum's main reason for the event is to advertise the aerodrome to increase movements because that's how we can get the owner (Council) to pay more attention to it. A long term goal is to reinstate Rwy 14/32 so that the aerodrome can handle Northwest-Southeast winds. (Yes, I know. I've got them Rs about). Maybe further on we might even get 01/19 available. Restoring those runways will have to be funded by Federal and State development grants, but in order to get them we must get the movement numbers pretty high. Council barely has the money to budget to slash the runway more than four times per year and spray for weed control twice. 

image.thumb.jpeg.3778bbb6b45318f0b5ad65d78dccd19d.jpeg 

• Informative 1

I mow our airport terminal area with a machine our club bought. A couple of hours every month is what it usually takes.

After years of walking around spraying prickles, they’re under control. I carry a 600ml sprayer on the mower to attack the odd khaki weed or three-cornered jack brought in by visitors’ tyres.

We are hosting the ASRA Nationals in a couple of weeks, so I’m giving the grounds plenty of attention.

image.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

2 minutes ago, Old Koreelah said:

I mow our airport terminal area with a machine our club bought.

The Museum President, whose house was part of the original farm that became the aerodrome, mows the airside of the terminal on his ride-on mower. We suggested to Council that the Museum would handle the maintenance, but they immediately hoisted the WH&S red flag and said that we would be required to undergo training to be certified to use the very sort of equipment that many members use on a seasonal basis - slashers, boom sprays etc.  We are actually developing a reasonable rapport with Council since we started promoting the economic and community benefits of a vibrant aerodrome. The problem for Council is too many requests and too little finance.

We have to be careful not to ask for too much. At the moment there is no landing fee. If we start asking them to spend more, then can a fee be far away? However, we can stall that by arguing that the cost of collecting movement information and sending out invoices would not be recouped. I'm against a fee if simply for safety reasons - too many pilots avoiding a fee by not making essential radio calls.

• Like 2

You might find a local farmer with a light tractor you could come to some arrangement with. If it's greased and kept under a shelter it won't Suffer much.   Sharpen the blades and  it will cut much better and use less fuel. . Erect a "sponsors" list billboard at the site.  Nev

• Like 1

1 minute ago, facthunter said:

You don't want to take it all upon yourself.

Fortunately, I'm not on the maintenance committee. I've got enough secretarial work and history research to do. Luckily, if the Event is a success, next year all I'll have to do to get CASA' ok is to change the date in the paperwork.

• Informative 1

Weed steamers are all the go today. Highly environmentally friendly. But I guess you'd need a boiler operators certificate to operate one in todays crazy WH&S world.

When I think of all the deadly dangerous equipment I've operated with not a single certificate or licence, it's amazing that I've still got all my fingers and arms.

https://www.weedtechnics.com/horticulturists/

• Like 1
  • Agree 1