Photo repair

red750

I occasionally like to play around editing old photos. I don't have Photoshop, Lightroom or any of those expenive editing programs, I use a simple program called PhotoScape, which is free for non-commercial users, and is downloaded from the internet.

Today, my wife received a USB drive with nearly 500 old family photos, scanned copies of prints. Some were in pretty poor condition. Here are before and after images of two photos I played around wih this afternoon.

132_IvyGwen.thumb.jpg.c181585923dcb6b7c8fd48c5112043e7.jpg432794791_132_IvyGwenrepaired.thumb.jpg.7aa9459d1af0676b40bb4fc5757f055a.jpg

187_LaideAtBar.thumb.jpg.b41a8a8a10cb2a67c0ea84ce46bf8aa9.jpg687393593_187_LaideAtBarrepaired.thumb.jpg.ef0440874f20718ceb36ae5a72e0e744.jpg

• Like 3

I'll download it, but my plate runneth over with projects at the moment. I'll be happy when this COVID lockdown is over and I can leave the house. Staying home is just letting me find more and more projects to do. Today I picked up a bar-b-que someone put out on the footpath. I hope to be able to replace the gas manifold in my old bar-b-que. If that fails, at least I've got a good frame for a trolley.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, red750 said:

Today, my wife received a USB drive with nearly 500 old family photos, scanned copies of prints. Some were in pretty poor condition. Here are before and after images of two photos I played around wih this afternoon.

That's a pretty good job you've done there, in linux there are any number of photo shop stuff, I use GIMP which is simply amazing, but is a steep learning curve. There are lots of simple easy to use photo manipulation software, free and some are extremely sophisticated.

• Like 1

I think I've mentioned this before, but I still use a Photo-editing and Imaging programme that came with my very first computer setup - Windows 98 in Oct 1998.

That programme is ULead iPhoto Express, and it is a great little programme that was put together by Canon - but which is now 100% obsolete, as Canon sold ULead iPhoto Express to Corel, about 2007, who promptly modified it to iPhoto Express Plus 4, then binned it, after they extracted a lot of its useful features, and tried to integrate them into Corel Draw. But Corel Draw is not a patch on iPhoto Express.

And it appears I'm not the only one who thinks it truly was/still is, the best imaging programme around.

https://www.mouthshut.com/software/Ulead-iPhoto-Plus-4-reviews-925013838