Australia . . . ( An American Tourist's view )

Phil Perry

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our country is a much better place to live than the USA...so why is our government doing its best to import their problems? Dismantling Medicare, undermining public broadcasters. No science minister, yet subsidising religious indoctrination in schools. Why are they signing secret treaties that help multinationals rather than the Australian people?

https://www.getup.org.au/campaigns/tpp/tpp/the-dirtiest-deal-youve-never-heard-of?t=3NVz3f41J

Why do our governments let junk food corporations get away with slowly killing our children...and refuse to implement SA's successful deposits on containers?

Why are our poorest hammered by the government, but the richest multinational corporations pay almost no tax in Australia?

Unless we wake up- and take back the political agenda from the paid lackies of these corporations- it won't long be a great place to live.

I copied and pasted this to another international forum I follow. I thought it was good ammo to fire back at the Yanks.

I'm starting to form the opinion that the government of the USA is a greater danger to Freedom than the Fascists, Communists, Zionists and Islamics ever were. Which is a shame because the average American is battling to keep his head above water like the rest of us.

Old Man Emu

Interestingly a lot of Americans actually support their medical system and enjoy the insurance schemes they have, one friend of mine certainly was taken back when I told him I would wait at least 4 to 6 hours to be seen at most Oz hospitals.

It CAN take that sort of wait at any UK A & E dept nowadays Bex,. . . . . mainly due to Two factors, I don't actually know which is worse,. . . . the first is that since our last Labour Government gave all GPs ridiculous pay rises, and allowed them to dictate their own hours of surgery opening, . . . . a wonderful opportunity which 97 percent of them appear to have abused, by refusing to work on any weekends, and reducing daily surgery times so much that it now takws up to two weeks to get an appointment at your local GP practice.

The obvious knock - on effect of this is that people can't be bothered waiting that long, so they chuff off to the local hospital Accident and Emergency unit and overload the staff with little cuts and bruises, sometimes causing ambulances to queue up outside unable to discharge their casualties until space can be found insode A&E. . . . . insane. . . . . the Second factor is due to the massive immigration from both Europe as well as African and Asian countries, sometimes just travelling to UK for treatment, and then going back home this is labelled "Health Tourism" and the hospital infrastructure is now becoming completely overloaded. An additional financial burden to the various local Health Authorities is the neccessity to pay out hundreds of thousands of pounds on interpreters for non - English speaking patients. Insane 2.

What is even more silly is that some of these HTs are turning up for Breast Enhancement / Breast reduction / Gender change and various kinds of cosmetic surgery, some of these ops cost around £15,000 to £20,000, . . . . but they are all free of charge on the good old British National Health Service ! ! !

Rant over,. . . . . ( For now ! ! ! )

• spacer.png

Phil

It CAN take that sort of wait at any UK A & E dept nowadays Bex,. . . . . mainly due to Two factors, I don't actually know which is worse,. . . . the first is that since our last Labour Government gave all GPs ridiculous pay rises, and allowed them to dictate their own hours of surgery opening, . . . . a wonderful opportunity which 97 percent of them appear to have abused, by refusing to work on any weekends, and reducing daily surgery times so much that it now takws up to two weeks to get an appointment at your local GP practice.

The obvious knock - on effect of this is that people can't be bothered waiting that long, so they chuff off to the local hospital Accident and Emergency unit and overload the staff with little cuts and bruises, sometimes causing ambulances to queue up outside unable to discharge their casualties until space can be found insode A&E. . . . . insane. . . . . the Second factor is due to the massive immigration from both Europe as well as African and Asian countries, sometimes just travelling to UK for treatment, and then going back home this is labelled "Health Tourism" and the hospital infrastructure is now becoming completely overloaded. An additional financial burden to the various local Health Authorities is the neccessity to pay out hundreds of thousands of pounds on interpreters for non - English speaking patients. Insane 2.

What is even more silly is that some of these HTs are turning up for Breast Enhancement / Breast reduction / Gender change and various kinds of cosmetic surgery, some of these ops cost around £15,000 to £20,000, . . . . but they are all free of charge on the good old British National Health Service ! ! !

Rant over,. . . . . ( For now ! ! ! )

• spacer.png

Phil

Surely you must be joking Phil - boob jobs are free under the NHS??

I agree with the American tourist, we should fight the attacks on our health system and keep this lucky country lucky. Thanks for posting that Phil.

Interestingly a lot of Americans actually support their medical system and enjoy the insurance schemes they have, one friend of mine certainly was taken back when I told him I would wait at least 4 to 6 hours to be seen at most Oz hospitals.

How much does he pay every month for the privilege of being seen quicker?

Waiting times depend on your circumstances, the triage nurses are pretty good. I took my 4yo son into A&E one night a couple of months ago when he fell off his bunk and split his scalp on the door jamb. Our bums had barely hit the waiting room seats when a doctor called him in, literally a minute or so.

M

Surely you must be joking Phil - boob jobs are free under the NHS??

I agree with the American tourist, we should fight the attacks on our health system and keep this lucky country lucky. Thanks for posting that Phil.

Now Marty. . . . . .I DIDN'T say that,. . . . .I said Breast Jobs bear in mind there are LADIES watching this forum. . . we need more FORUMDECORUM. . . . . .

But Yes,. . . . . It is a fact.

Would it be wise to brush up my urdo first?

Yep,. . . Urdu, Hindi, Bengali, Gujurati, Nigerian, Albanian, Romanian, Polish, ( Not a bad bunch the rock and rolls,. . .I get on very well with 'em ) Somali, Libyan, Egyptian, Phillipino, Welsh, ( Iachi Dah ). . . . . . . . Moroccan Arabic, Zimbabwean, Irish, . . . . . . .

Enjoyed the read.

I've lived in Canada, Asia and Australia

The best place is here!

I've lived in Papua New Guinea, Various parts described as. . ."Indonesia" AND of course ( The BEST ) quite a few parts of Australia. . . . Have not had the pleasure of visiting Canada yet Mark,. . . . as I've already mentioned my bucketlist once today, that is also amongst the wishes. . . . so much to do . . .so little time left ( and not much money !! ). . .so I'll take your word for it RE Canada.

Phil

Must say that my wife got good service from a local GP and the local and district hospitals when she broke her arm as the result of a fall when we were in England for Christmas/New year 2012/13. Might have been an advantage that she holds a British passport. Perhaps also it could have been because we were not in a metropolitan area (Worcestershire).

OME