Should all qualifications be merged to "one card"?

Downunder

Would you prefer a single card for drivers lic, pilots cert, qualifications, etc  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Would you prefer a single card for drivers lic, pilots cert, qualifications, etc

• No, I prefer seperate cards.
    • Yes, but only government institutions.
    • Yes, all cards and qualifications merged to a single card administrated by a gov licencing body.

I got asked to show my qualifications to operate some machinery the other day but didn't have the card on me.

My excuse was that I didn't want to carry a wallet full of cards to only pull them out once every xx years.

Wouldn't it be so much easier to carry all qualifications on one card?

If all were listed on one card, it would make it very easy for the ot to be cancelled for an infraction in relation to just one of them.

In any case...won't happen. Different jurisdictions and each totally jealous to protect its bit of turf.

Kaz

I agree that all 'machinery' licences should be on one National ID card.

Also, that they should all be Federal (not state restricted) . Dare I suggest that we ARE One Nation?

My Skid Steer, Excavator, Backhoe and Forklift licence cards WERE originally national (but a collection of plastic), so they could have easily been incorporated into one card at that time, as they were all administered by the same bunch of burrocrats. But then our state gov't decided that forklifts are a 'high risk' machine and changed the rules. Now I have a state issued photo ID card (forklift) that costs money for renewals and is only valid in Qld. Great way for our leaders to 'cut red tape' in industry! I still have the other collection but at least they last a lifetime (at the moment!)

too complicated.... I can't imagine SA motor vehicles coping with flying requirements, or even cooperating with any other body. People I know in SA police say that the motor vehicles dept is a nightmare for them, so imagine what they be would be like for interstate and federal bodies. This would unleash a huge turf war.

Biggest worry is the expiration of them is different. Why not just have a national register which you subscribe to voluntarily, on line and download the information to present as an extract if required? . Up to you if you use it. Updated status automatically and have reminders incorporated in the programme, of coming renewal needs. Nev

What would do the trick is a National Identity Card. try selling that to the public.

Nowadays with the police able to scan your number plate and find out if the car is registered I cannot see that it would be hard for a national register which listed all your data.

. I can't imagine SA motor vehicles coping with flying requirements,.

SA motor vehicles would have nothing to do with your flying requirements. The RAA would simply tell whoever the card issuer is "put xxx on joe blows card". Thats it. The existing Governing bodies would still control your licences/ certificates.

SA motor vehicles would have nothing to do with your flying requirements. The RAA would simply tell whoever the card issuer is "put xxx on joe blows card". Thats it. The existing Governing bodies would still control your licences/ certificates.

it sounds simple, but I doubt a govt dept like SA motor vehicles could cope even with that.

• 3 weeks later...

A single unique identifier used by all licencing bodies and accessible by all enforcement/ inspection bodies would enable a user to carry their National Identity Card only.

Then when required to prove that they are licenced for a piece of machinery or permitted access to something the enforcement/inspection body may search the National Identity card unique identifier and confirm the licence status and provide proof of identity.

Individual licencing bodies (RA Aus, Qld Marine, SA Motor Vehicle, NPWS etc) would therefore only update a central register.

No need to carry multiple "cards" (along with all the bloody shopping cards).

I do like the idea of all licences in one place.

Why not think along the lines of an app? I mean the banks have basically got on that bandwagon, I got a pay pass sticker that sticks on the back of my phone it is about 3cms by 2cms and less than half a mil thick and it lets me use my phone as a bank card at most eftpos machines. Surely an electronic tag could be built similar and relevant departments eg police would have a simple reader?

We would have to nationalise our drivers licences though to make any of it work.

I would prefer one card, one that has embedded into it:

Your drivers license

Your credit cards

Your industry licenses

Your Medicare card

Your Flybuys card

Your myki card

etc etc etc

Easy to do with technology now and readers can be set up to just read the portion of the card relevant to what card aspects they need...but then the Wallet manufacturing companies would go broke, cows and pigs wouldn't be needed as much, price of meat would drop, heck...why don't we just all have a chip inserted under the skin with all our info from our cards plus GPS location, pacemaker ability, cochlear capability, etc etc etc...you get the idea, would be good though spacer.png

(Now, where is my wife at the moment.....stuff the wife, WHERE IS MY 17 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER RIGHT NOW)

You get on a plane with a downloaded piece of paper. On line data can provide what you need any time. (extract from the database) which YOU can monitor and volunteer to use. You don't have rego labels on the windscreen any more in Victoria. Why carry a multi use licence to lose somewhere and be stuck.. Nev

Guest Andys@coffs
Step one.....Nationalise licensing of drivers and vehicles. There would be no (state) turf wars if you keep the petty minded state governments out of it!

Actually in your scenario step 1 would be to change the Australian constitution so that the current break up of fed/state gov responsibilities reflect your proposed end state....step 2 would be to worry about what step 2 is in the unlikely event that the constitutional changes are accepted by the Australian people....we don't have a great track record of doing that............

Especially as which ever of the 2 major political parties is first to agree or disagree with you will immediately have the other at 180degrees to them setting up a referendum outcome somewhere in the 45-55% approval area when a referendum needs to achieve a much higher pass mark...therefore....like the majority of referendums before, it will fail.....

Andy

Nowadays with the police able to scan your number plate and find out if the car is registered I cannot see that it would be hard for a national register which listed all your data.

The ANPR ( Automatic Number Plate Recognition ) system began operating throughout the UK Highway system on Nov 1st 2014,. . . . . this means that any ANPR camera, whether fixed or mounted in a Police car can automatically retrieve ALL the information about the vehicle scanned, ie, Road fund licence, Insurance and MOT test currency ( 12 mothly renewable Roadworthiness certificate for all vehicles above 3 Years old ) Vehicles no longer have to carry a paper "tax" disc on the windscreen, which displayed the period of validity for your friendly parking warden.

The National ID card was suggested here a few years ago but dumped in the face of enormous opposition. I believe that a personal biometric card allowing access to medical details wouldn't be a bad idea, but that also has been trashed in the press as an intrusion to privacy ( What privacy . . .???? a reporter recently had himself tracked on CCTV and no less than 102 cameras recorded him driving to London, parking at an out of town railway station, having breakfast in a cafe,. . visiting a library, getting on and off a tube train, and arriving at his office. Privacy ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

Phil

I agree Nev. . . . .

Not only that but the UK is now officially a police state.

Any mid - ranking police officer can now access private data about ANY person in the UK without having to obtain permission from a court. The only proviso being that said policeman only has to BELIEVE that some crime or other MIGHT possibly have been committed. . .

This facility has been abused in more than 500,000 instances over the last twelve months according to a freedom of information request. This also means, under the same legislation, that any media reporter can be forced to reveal the source of ANY reports made. Does this remind anyone of Nazi Germany in the late thirties ? ? ? oR ANY Eastern bloc country in the sixties / seventies. . .?

Several reporters are awaiting trial as a result, accused of improperly obtaining information.

Five reporters are awaiting a RETRIAL because a jury was unwilling to convict................... yet the Govt. will allow over five hundred Jihadies to roam around the UK unfettered after returning from fighting against "Western" interests in Syria. . . . . no hint of the promised prosecutions for treason which were promised last year. . .

The legislation also means that any local council authority busybody can spy legally on ANY person in their area for such crimes as using the wrong colour wheelie bin for the wrong type of rubbish, or those who try to get their child into a better school which might be just outside the local authority catchment area. . . . . . .you couldn't make it up. . . . .

The old saying remains true. . . ."Give a nobody some authority and they will ALWAYS. . .ALWAYS abuse it"

Hmmm. . .doesn't bode well.

( Note to Mods. . . if you want to divert this post into another thread,. . .I've got no objection )

Welcome to 1984 . . .( ! )

We're not just heading in the same direction , we've actually arrived at the destination..

ANPR cameras are in use in NSW .. Just take a drive up the Hume Hwy and see the police cars just parked up checking passing vehicles ...

PC went mad in my area some time ago when I was issued with a please explain and an attached Stat Dec form for my completion after I was spied on from my local council offices depositing rubbish in a council supplied rubbish skip ! ..

Someone in the office noted my rego number , it was cross checked by the council and no doubt all my personal details too and hauled before the council officer .. Needless to say they dropped the whole issue like a hot spud when I promised to expose them , but hey I thought I was being the good citizen in cleaning up the streets , not a villain like they made out ... So yes , the only difference between the UK and Aussie is the weather ...