Wave energy plants in Brazil

Downunder

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And the depth of the taxpayers pockets.....

...We could have this discussion till the cows come home. Taxpayers have funded plenty of white elephants, and building nuclear power stations in this land of sun, wind and waves would be stupidity on a monumental scale.

What would you rather bequeath to our children: piles of nuclear waste, or a functioning renewable energy system?

Either way, they'll inherit a similar level of debt.

the reason why nuclear won't die is because adopting nuclear will put the nation's power generation under the control of one or two US companies, who through a series of careful political donations, will end up gouging the nation.

competition amongst energy suppliers is paramount to low priced power.

There's plenty of FACTS out there if you care to look. Centralised grids are too sensitive to a mass system failure but those who have them can control profits. France has had Nuclear more than anybody, and the most successfully, but the REAL cost over their entire life (including their proper decommissioning at some stage) is not a good look. No one has got close to storing the residue properly yet either. The baseload question is not as critical as made out to be, and all other costs continue to fall. Not a lot of banks will invest in coal now. Rockefellers are out of coal/oil. the only people who will lend ADANI money is the Indian Government and they are being challenged by the people of that country over that stance. Nev

Now I am really confused.

Will my next ultralight be powered by solar cells in the wings charging matchbox size batteries that run for eight hours, be fitted with wind powered props to charge batteries when there is no sun or have a small nuclear chip which runs the engine for six years ? spacer.png

Alan.

Now I am really confused.Will my next ultralight be powered by solar cells in the wings charging matchbox size batteries that run for eight hours, be fitted with wind powered props to charge batteries when there is no sun or have a small nuclear chip which runs the engine for six years ? spacer.png

Alan.

I can understand your confusion, Alan. We were raised on the promise of ever-better things coming out of the US.

The nuclear-powered aeroplane did not get off the ground...

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convair_X-6

...but solar-powered planes have been flying for years and are getting better all the time.

Trains were condemned because people thought we would all die if we traveled over 25 mph. We've come a long way haven't we?

Presumably that figure of 25mph was based on the speed of the fastest horse. Though I am impressed by the Shinkansen, I love travelling slow. We miss so much when the object of the travel is to get to the destination. The journey is what it's all about.

This demonization of George Bush's intellectual qualities was something started by the left in the US because of, or to show, their supposed intellectual and moral superiority. It has no real merit in truth. 

But what are the facts? The fact is that George Bush was the man for the times when the WTC was attacked and you can 2nd guess his policies all you like now in hindsight when the left is oh so wise, but what would you have done at the time when more & perhaps worse attacks were likely to be on the way?

The fact is that George Bush could buy and sell everyone, and I mean everyone, on this Forum, so it is crazy and unwarranted to suggest that he is a "retard" and intellectually inferior, just because you don't agree with some of his policies.

The feel-good left will never have the guts to face and address real-world aggression by others and an "inclusive" mediation love-in like the UN is now a waste of space & money.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I think he's an absolute retard because he committed the US to over 3 trillion dollars wasted on a war in Iraq that had absolutely nothing to do with the 9/11 attacks, not to mention his moronic "mission accomplished" speech in 2003.

A "man for the times" would have been one who developed partnerships with the intelligence services in the region, tasked and resourced his own intelligence capabilities to locate and track the leadership of Al-quaeda, then killed them with surgical strikes. Not declare war on two countries and lose trillions of dollars, thousands of lives and create a new underclass of returned soldiers with physical and psychological scarring and insufficient support for both.

Just because Bush could "buy and sell everyone on this forum", doesn't mean anything. At all. In fact he made his money firstly by setting up tax shelters for wealthy friends, then by an extremely shonky deal in which he invested only $600,000 in the Arlington Ballpark (which was mostly paid for by taxpayer's money - $135 million of it) - then walked away with $15 million. So if your definition of "a man for the times" is someone who becomes wealthy by screwing the taxpayer, starts two unnecessary wars, costs their country trillions, causes a generation of returned servicemen with PTSD - not to mention the way the Iraq war was run, with Halliburton profiting massively - then your definition and mine differ greatly.